Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Motorhead Lounge is Started!

What a transformation that has taken place! Please keep us posted and post pictures.

OK, somebody'll be PO'd since I did this instead of their tax return but...:booty

I've always loved the old gooseneck lights used on gas stations of old. I found a company that makes them in powdercoated aluminum; the same company that made 'em in porcelain 80+ years ago (Spero). These are commercial grade lights - I ordered the goosenecks 8" longer so they actually mount both inside and outside the block walls; they ain't goin' anywhere! This one lights up one of the overhead garage doors. I have a different (angled) shade for the "human" garage doors with a similar gooseneck. I'm still looking for a 3" OD x ~12' aluminum pole to mount the front yard post light. It's the same one that sat on a gas station island over the pumps.

MHLgooseneck122707.jpg

Here's a shot of the bay with the lift (taken from the Motorhead Lounge). It's starting to look a little like a garage!

MHLbay122707.jpg

I need to download the digital camera - it's got lots more stuff!

Since all our Christmas decorations were still in storage my warped sense of humor got the better of me; I found the last $2 string of lights at Home Depot along with the only extension cord not in use somewhere else and did this:

xmasdumpster.jpg

Had I been able to buy another string (and found another extension cord) I'd have lit the port-o-john as well :beer

Actually John, I saw 'em too. I then opened another tab and clicked on the address of one of my pics, then came back to this site and hit "refresh". Now it all seems to be working. I dunno why it's doing that - I think it did it before.

Lessee if this'll work...

The final rail for the spiral stair in the Motorhead Lounge arrived. Oh yeah, you can see the paint scheme for the place as well.

MHLstairrail.jpg

And the same day the guard rail went up! (It's still pretty dirty since it's been sitting outside the back of the garage for a year!) Geez, it's BIG! And HEAVY - good thing I had a chain hoist. There are 12 5/8"x5" lag screws holding the uprights into 3 2x12 LVL beams. While it may not stop a runaway pickup I think it will stop a runaway drunk person. :beer

MHLguardrail.jpg

Also note the RED ceiling fan!

I hope these stay up.

So...ya think there's enough clearance under the lift?

A quote from all too long ago (and a coupla pages back):

Actually, I've given him [Dave, the architect and my good friend] the singular distinction of having his 04 coupe as the first "passenger" on my lift. He then replied "so it'll be the first car to fall off the lift!" I said "better yours than mine!"

MHLlift1stup.jpg

It didn't fall off! :upthumbs

Looking good!

I'm in the red X club too

Beats me. I've looked at other threads and others by Bill but this is the only one I can't see the pics in.

I'm in the red X club too

Beats me. I've looked at other threads and others by Bill but this is the only one I can't see the pics in.

Tom, I was too, even in today's pics, but I right-clicked on one of the X's, clicked on "Properties", copied the photo's URL, pasted it into my browser window, and the photo came right up from its source. When I clicked back to the CAC from the photo, the other red X's had all become photos. Try that.

Well, we finally (after 16 months!) passed our final inspections!!

Here's a pic of what the place looks like now that the new sod and landscaping has been installed:

House051208.jpg

Just for a little comparison, here's a pic of the house before we started:

MHLhomebefore.JPG

There's still a bunch 'o stuff to do inside - Sandie's studio furniture is being installed; next are new kitchen cabinets; then work continues on the library shelves.

I promised myself one thing after April 15th: to reassemble my workbench.

Step 1: Make sure all the disassembled ingredients are ready.

MHLworkbench01.jpg

Step 2: Bolt it all together (again).

MHLworkbench02.jpg

Step 3: Find a friend to help flip it over and...viola!

MHLworkbench03.jpg

Gotta get some pegboard next!

Next time I'll post some better pics of the outdoor lights and the triumphant return of the 57 to garage life (after nearly half a year outdoors)!

Looks great, Bill! I don't guess that bench top made of laminated vertical 2x4's deflects much.. ;LOL

:beer

John,

It's "taken' a lickin' and kept on tickin'" for about 24 years! :bang I built that workbench just after we built this house with "spare" 2x4s leftover from construction. Someday I plan to build one similar to a friend's in Tampa - 3 layers of 3/4" MDF offset so a section can be pulled out, turned over and reset with (for instance) the bench grinder on it. Flip it over again for clear space; something like the old sewing machine tables I remember - a really nifty design.

I promised some more pics of the outside lights. Here's one of the side garage door:

MHLsidegaragelight.jpg

The reflector shines the light right at the doorway. The little black spot on the wall canopy is the photoelectric cell that controls all 5 garage lights so they automatically come on at dusk. (And all 5 are compact florescent that = about 65 watts.)

Here's a pic of the post light (with some of the other garage lights in the background). This is the same unit (again, made by the same company)that was installed over gas pump islands back in the dark ages of low 2-digit gas prices - just now it's powdercoated aluminum instead of painted steel & porcelain. (Oh yeah, this was taken before the new sod and landscaping arrived - see my earlier post for a nicer pic.)

MHLpostlight.jpg

Here's a closeup of it. This unit has a glass globe so I didn't need an outdoor bulb.

MHLpostlightcloseup.jpg

The hardest part was finding an aluminum pole to mount it on. Powdercoating wasn't an issue - I wanted the light ~10' up so I needed at least a 13' pole. Again, this puts light right down and around itself; it doesn't light up the whole neighborhood.

I like the overall look and the retro lights Bill. Very nicely done.

Tom

This was a great moment; after too long, the 57 returned to inside storage (not like it's ever been 'rode hard and put away wet' or anything like that in 51 years :L).

My lovely wife was kind enough to take the photos.

MHL57arrival1.jpg

And yes, after 51 years the car isn't housebroken - the rear main seal and the rear end leak a bit. Hence the cardboard "depends". :eyerole

MHL57arrival2.jpg

I'm just now starting to find the time to begin sorting out all of the stuff that's in the middle of the garage; when the 57 returned it was (and still is) a bit tighter than it will be...

MHL57arrival3.jpg

Now it's becoming a garage!

MHL57arrival4.jpg

Ah yes, this last one was taken by yours truly - with my lovely wife (and temporary traffic cop) approving my parking.

Great to see the end of the story!

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom