Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Motorhead Lounge is Started!

Isn't it nice to have an honest-to-God library instead of having boxes full of books? Bill, you're rapidly becoming the poster boy for "project creep" :D.

I think Linda will be talking to Putnam soon :W:eyerole

Bonnell; when do you plan to stop by? :D (Just gimmee a little notice...the MHL refrigerator has cold ones already but I haven't finished installing the surround sound yet!)

John; the rail installation was definately a 2-person job but like most, prep work and thought about how to start and proceed was the key. We installed a curve first, then worked our way around, figuring how to connect pieces with the supplied dowels. Linda will love me for this: http://www.putnamrollingladder.com (John will probably whack me up side the haid!)

Here's two more pics of the other side; the first with Mike (who helped me - or did I help him...), and the second of the rest of the shelves. (These were taken Saturday - the cabinet maker finally came by today to install the desktop in the library.)

The bay window cushion is custom made with 4" of regular foam and 3" of memory foam bonded on top. I've tested it and I dunno if we need a sleeper sofa any more - that's one comfortable spot!

Libraryladder2.jpg

Libraryladder3.jpg

BTW, Just a few more tidbits and I can call the house proper done. :upthumbs Then it's back to the garage!

I'm green with envy over your library. I had one when I lived in Ft. Wayne but not as nice as yours. Since we built this house all of my books are still in boxes. It could end up being a retirement project.

I sure miss not being able to just go get whatever I want to look at.

Tom

Just to show "project creep" is still alive and well, the Garage Mahal Technical Library is now ready for use (as soon as I replace the friggin bulb in the microfiche reader :mad)!

MHLtechlibrary.jpg

Dunno if I'll be able to do much more - time to keep the Federal budget un-balanced! Maybe I'll be able to have spray insulation installed in the ceiling next month, then HVAC, then a ceiling drywall party perhaps in May?

Cool. I haven't used one of those in quite some time.

Tom

I-phones are pretty spiffy; I just wish I wasn't doing this from the hospital ER. Sandie has an infection & is getting iv antibiotics for a "superbug."
Now she may have a blood clot. We're waiting for test results. Maybe later I can find time to upload pics of the 1st outside job in progress: an engine transplant in a 62!

That doesn't sound like much fun. I hope Sandie recovers soon.

Tom

Good news :D! After (too many) tests and an overnight "observation" stay there's no clot or heart attack; she probably was reacting to the antibiotics (a 30-45 min infusion 2x/day for at least 2 wks - this is one nasty bug :mad). Thanks for the thoughts - I've passed them on to her (and thanks for allowing this sorta off topic bit - I was playing with her i-phone yesterday while she was having a CT-A scan).

The 62 got it's new "heart" today. I think we'll be able to button it up tomorrow. Yup, pics to come.

That is good news. Looking forward to the '62 pics.

Tom

Finally, here is a short photostory of the first "Garage Mahal" engine swap (on a 62 Corvette):

First, getting started with disassembly (the chain hoist is patiently waiting to the left)

MHL62-1.JPG

Then out comes the old

MHL62-2.JPG

MHL62-3.JPG

And in goes the new

MHL62-4.JPG

Almost done! I'm behind the camera - these two guys are Chris (on the left - he did most of the grunt work while I had to wrangle tax season) and Tommy (on the right - he built the engine and has been building engines for 30+ years; everything from originals like this to big block drag racing engines).

MHL62-5.jpg

And down the road it goes!

MHL62-6.JPG

Would that it took as long to actually complete as it did to upload this! This was an experience - not always fun, but yet it was. It did make me very appreciative of the original owner of my 57 (seen in the background somewhere above...) that despite having transplanted nearly 3 dozen engines the wiring harness was not "modified!"

While I'm on the subject of Tommy (Custom Engines Inc, Sarasota FL 941-921-1369 gotta get a plug in...) here's a nice vintage (but not entirely stock) 396 that he built for a 69 Camaro in Sweden. I was just finishing building the crate and it was shipped out a couple of weeks ago not long after the 62 took flight):

396 crate 1.JPG

396 crate 2.JPG

Note that I bolted the water pump to the pallet so it wouldn't move during shipping. The distributor, dipstick & tube are zip-tied to the engine cradle as is the fuel pump (in its box). Under the plastic bag is a new Holley carb. I couldn't fit the box in the crate so I bolted the carb to the shipping pallet using some old sway bar bushings from my 58 Corvette as "shock absorbers"

396 Holley mounts.JPG

Oh yeah - the sides were either 5/8" or 3/4" plywood (depending on what scrap I had in the garage. We'll see how good a job I did!:chuckle

/
It did make me very appreciative of the original owner of my 57 (seen in the background somewhere above...) that despite having transplanted nearly 3 dozen engines the wiring harness was not "modified!"

A little perspective here, on these old clunkers you only have what 3 wires to contend with in the engine bay? LOL. When is the grand opening?

Tyler

That may be a bit oversimplified (even for these clunkers) but at least my wiring harness has not been sliced & diced & patched & taped & etc...

Glad to see the new garage has been christened with "real work" already! Looks great, Bill. :)

Glad to see the new garage has been christened with "real work" already! Looks great, Bill. :)
Agreed... but it still looks too clean & new. Maybe try spilling some grease around and then rub some mud into it...? ;shrug

-Mac :L

Mac,

All I gotta do is remove the cardboard "depends" from under the 57! I'm trying to keep it somewhat clean at least until I can epoxy the floor; then it won't matter.

Mac,

All I gotta do is remove the cardboard "depends" from under the 57! I'm trying to keep it somewhat clean at least until I can epoxy the floor; then it won't matter.
Of course, I was only joking.... although I've played in both clean and dirty. There's a certain smell about old well-used garages which will always trigger good memories but I would rather have a clean one since that makes it so much easier to find things.

I finally have my garage back together (sorta) after having everything pulled apart to repair a burst pipe during the winter. The concrete is in decent shape and I was thinking of epoxy but I'm unsure what's under it (ie: vapour barrier). I would hate to do all the work and have it bubble off after a couple of years.

-Mac

Mac, As I recall, take a piece of plastic (visqueen, perhaps?) and tape it completely to the floor. Check it the next day; if there's moisture under the plastic then you may have problems with an epoxy floor coating (chime in John at anytime if I'm off base here...).

Mac, As I recall, take a piece of plastic (visqueen, perhaps?) and tape it completely to the floor. Check it the next day; if there's moisture under the plastic then you may have problems with an epoxy floor coating (chime in John at anytime if I'm off base here...).

Now you mention it, I seem to recall hearing something like that before. I'll give that a try!

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom