Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Motorhead Lounge is Started!

SebringBill

Corvette
1957 #3143; 1997 #0993
Finally, after 5+ months the permit came through Tuesday for our home addition. That means my 30 x 50 garage will become reality! Ground was broken Thursday and the footings may be poured by Tuesday. I may return from the NCRS Old Town show to a poured slab!

In my absence my wife has graciously agreed to take lotsa pics.

More to come!

Finally, after 5+ months the permit came through Tuesday for our home addition. That means my 30 x 50 garage will become reality! Ground was broken Thursday and the footers may be poured by Tuesday. I may return from the NCRS Old Town show to a poured slab!

In my absence my wife has graciously agreed to take lotsa pics.

More to come!

Keep us posted every body like to hear about a garage project

OK, here's the start. Footings are dug; the steel goes in tomorrow, then (hopefully) inspection #1, and on Tuesday they get poured.

The trench running closest is the 30' side of the garage that will have two overhead doors - one std and one bigger (for that Flxible Clipper bus I want to make into an RV someday-but that's another story).

The garage turns back in front of the slab (that once was a porch) and will go 50' (10' beyond the end of the house). We're adding 10' on to that side for a bigger master bedroom, new master bath and real closets! In between will be a Florida room where the hot tub will reside - soon it will go into hiding in the POD that's sitting out of sight to the left.

The garage is actually nearly as big as the current house!

MHL011207.jpg

Bill,

It will almost be as much fun for us to watch the progress as it is for you. Great to see a plan unfold.

Have you put up those plywood barriers with the eye holes in them for the sidewalk superintendents yet.......... ? :L

Rich Lagasse

Congratulations. There is nothing like a new garage to make you feel like all is right in the world.

Is that your chair next to the spa?

Tom

Yeah, a pool is too much effort for the amount we'd use it. Believe it or not I still have room beyond the garage for a pool if I were so inclined.

Tom, that's the supervisor's (my wife's) chair!

Now here's one of the fun parts: this will reside in the garage approximately between the hot tub and the workers:

http://www.rotarylift.com/Products/Product_Detail/Feature_Tour/Feature_Tour.asp

I'm gonna do this only once, so I'm doin' it right!

Rebar went in today, 1st inspection is tomorrow; hopefully when I return from the NCRS Old Town show the footings will be poured and we'll be getting ready for a slab!

Footings went in today! I might come back to a slab!

MHL011607.jpg

OK, you asked...here's the Supervisor on the job. (I did this with full permission of said Supervisor as well!):W

Don't look for another update until next week as tomorrow after lunch I'm off to the NCRS Old Town FL show. I'll be back Sunday evening.

MHLsupvsr.jpg

Here's an update: Stem walls are in, fill is in and compacted. Rough-in plumbing is set to begin tomorrow!

MHL012207.jpg

Don't forget the vapour barrier... and have you considered insulation? :)

-Mac

Don't forget the vapour barrier... and have you considered insulation? :)

-Mac

Yup, the termite folks will stop by before the rebar and vapor barrier go on.

I will drywall and a/c the entire garage (eventually - after the County inspector has left for the last time), and it'll be well insulated.

Excellent! I love watching these projects move ahead... and I'm learning a little from each one so when I'm ready to build my retirement garage (and any incidental house which I have to put up with), I'll be better prepared.

-Mac

Two pics tonight!

First up - rough-in plumbing. We passed inspection, too!

MHL013007.jpg

Next - termite treatment, vapor barrier and secondary footings are ready for inspection tomorrow. Since there's a 60+% chance of rain tomorrow the pour is scheduled for Monday/Tuesday (home/garage).

MHL013107.jpg

In both pictures the garage/Florida room wall runs left to right and the trench running from lower left into the garage will be the wall between the bathroom/Florida room and in the garage marks the pantry/laundry room (which will be under the "Motorhead Lounge" loft).

What's not in the picture is the 10' we're adding to the side of the house (for a bigger master bedrooom, two nicely-sized walk-in closets and the aforementioned bathroom.

I just found an early version of the addition plan on my wife's computer - the only one we've scanned as of now, so.....

plans1.jpg

The house slab was poured today (light rain yesterday nixed any pour). Garage comes tomorrow!

The formed-out area in the forefront is where the lift will be installed.

MHL020607B.jpg

The garage floor was poured yesterday..

MHL020707.jpg

..and the block walls started today!

MHL020807.jpg

The masons should be done with the first section Monday morning; then the tie beam will be poured next week.

The masons "hauled block" and finished the first part Friday. The block is now at the level of the top of the windows and doors. Next comes the tie beam, sorta like a footing on top of the wall - rebar dropped down the wall, attached to the existing rebar from the footing, then poured solid. This takes the place of precast lintels over the doors and windows (my understanding is that the garage doors will still have lintels since they're at different heights in relation to the windows and doors.

This photo was taken as it was getting dark Friday - looking from approximately where my workbench will be towards the overhead garage doors.

MHL020907.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom