Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Ol' Instrument Cluster Gag

U

Uerik

Hey all,

I own an 85' corvette that i got in pretty bad shape and have been restoring. About 6 months after I bought the car the instrument cluster "went out". By went out i mean that now you can only see the speed, tach, and gas during the day, however the turn signals and high beam lights are reversed and very bright. That is, when the high beams are off, the high beam indicator is very bright, however when i turn the high beams ON then the indicator dims (but is still brighter than the rest of the cluster.

I have heard about a lot of this before, but my question is this: Does this just sound like a bulb problem (probably not i would assume) or is there a faulty circuit board or something? I have heard of a dimmer sensor that just needs to be properly grounded, does that sound right? Is this an easy procedure to fix, like soldering a wire back on or something? I have the opportunity to buy a new cluster for $500, but i'd prefer to exhaust all my other options first. I have seen books on instrument cluster repair, please let me know if you think that this problem is fairly easily fixable by someone thats pacient and moderately skilled with electronics.

Thanks,

Chris

2 option's

Do a search here for dash cluster and a wealth of knowledge will spout.

2 Send it to me and I'll fix it!

Mike

my 86 was doing all kinds of wierd stuff too. Go to
http://www.corvettedashclusterservice.com/Ucandoprocess1.html

They sell a completely refurbished cluster with all new bulbs and any necessary repairs done. I just got my vette a few months ago and not familiar with it at all and replaced mine in 20 minutes. Everything works perfectly. Only cost $195.00 exchg and 3 day delivery.

Thanx

Thanx,
I didn't realize that the turnaround was that quick. I guess I'll be sending it out!

Feeking crafty...try to rebuild/repair it yourself.

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/index.shtml

I did....cost me about $25 in materials...works perfect now.

The only change I made was to replace the upper two halogen bulbs with 194's...a little dimmer but a lot less damage to the boards.

Feeling Crafty

Hmm... Well looks like I should give it a try. Worse case scenario: I buy the new one that I was gonna buy before for $500... Wish me luck!!!!!!!!

Uerik

Im confused, why would you buy a $500 one when you can buy a $200 one? I can have a $200 sent straight to you and you can send me $300 if you want :D There completely refurbished and guaranteed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom