Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The PROM update did the trick!!!

jim's82

Corvette
1982 Vette
1982: Service Bulletin: Spark Plug Fouling/Driveability Improvements
Subject: SPARK PLUG FOULING/DRIVEABILITY IMPROVEMENTS - 1982 CORVETTE WITH FEDERAL EMISSIONS
Model and Year: 1982 Corvette with Federal Emissions
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Service Technical Bulletin
Bulletin Number: 82-T-101
Number: VIt
Section: Aug., 1982

TO: ALL CHEVROLET DEALERS

A new PROM has been released for the 1982 Corvette to reduce the possibility of spark plug fouling and to enhance driveability. This new PROM leans the fuel calibration during cold engine operation and unlocks the torque converter at a lower throttle opening.
NEW
ECM 16029531
PROM Identification 391A36
Service Prom 1226096
I had a VERY hard time locating the new prom & figuring out if my old one was original or the updated version but finally found someone that knew by the BMU # off of the chip. The Delco #1226096 "is a discontinued chip" & only a few dealers have 1 or 2 on their shelves but it was worth the search. Right away it was apparent that my car needed the update.... it runs so smooth & the trans. shifts so much smoother, I almost forgot that I was driving my own car.
:Steer :Steer :Steer
I have some 800#'s to dealers that had 1 or more in stock. Just let me know if anyone wants a newer chip & I'll get the #'s to you.

I took a pic of the old (original) chip but, dummy me, didn't shoot one of the new one. The original has "9405 BMU" on it &, if not mistaken since I can't remember for sure, the new one was "9404 BMU".
:Steer :Steer

Where can you find these service or tech bulletins on the internet? Or do you need to go to Chevy direct?
Shawn

Shawn...

Where can you find these service or tech bulletins

Go to "knowledgebase" then select the following:
Main Page / Browse Categories / 1968 - 1982 Corvettes / Engine - Mechanical / 1982: Service Bulletin: Spark Plug Fouling/Driveability Improvements

I didn't find very many bulletin's for the '82 but this one about the prom was just what I needed.

Good luck, Jim
:beer

Jim,
The PROM is located in the ECM behind the drivers seat next to the battery right?
I looked in mine to see if it had been upgraded but the only removable component (14 pin dip), it did not look like your picture.
Thanks, Ron

cruzer82

Ron,
You're right, the ECM is located behind the driver's seat in the battery compartment. It's kind of a bear to get to with the ECM still mounted but it can be done with a flashlight & sticking your head in the box (probably much easier to just remove the ECM). Remove the battery & you should see a small removable access panel on the ECM with one srew holding it in. Inside the door is the prom chip. It's very imprtant to make note of the original position so you don't replace it backwards.
I'm attaching a link to hypertech's "instructions" page. They are very detailed & helpful.
PROM Instructions

Good luck,
Jim :Steer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom