Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Security lite blinking - C4 won't start!

Mocart4u

Corvette
1994 Admiral Metalic Blue C-4 Coupe
I have a question and I'm looking for your feedback. For the first time in 15 years, last night when I stopped and fueled up. After fueling, when I turned the key to start, nothing happened. It was like the battery was dead but I knew that was not the case.
I saw the Security lite on the dash was blinking but I couldn't understand why. After about 15 minutes, the security lite stopped blinking and then she started.

Does anybody have any ideas or had a similar issue with their C4?

FYI: It only has 65,000 miles...

Thanks for your feedback.

Update: I wiped the ignition key down with alcohol and it resolved my previous issue. Problem solved.

Thank You So Much! I Appreciate All of the feedback on this.

*I just read dadaroo's reply to blackandredvette's question that is similar to my question. It sounds like I'm having an issue with the ignition switch.

Regards,
Mocart4u

Attachments

• C-4 & Hummer.jpg
    C-4 & Hummer.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 293
  • corvette.jpg
    corvette.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
C4 corvette split window panels

Check-out our Customized Corvette split window panels at www.vetteskins.com Give your C4 Corvette a personalized, custom look!
I have a question and I'm looking for your feedback. For the first time in 15 years, last night when I stopped and fueled up. After fueling, when I turned the key to start, nothing happened. It was like the battery was dead but I knew that was not the case.
I saw the Security lite on the dash was blinking but I couldn't understand why. After about 15 minutes, the security lite stopped blinking and then she started.

FYI: It only has 65,000 miles...

Thanks for your feedback.

*I just read dadaroo's reply to blackandredvette's question that is similar to my question. It sounds like I'm having an issue with the ignition switch.

Regards,
Mocart4u

Normal operation if either door is open the Security light blinks with the
ignition Off. The Security light is Off when both doors are closed.
When you insert the key and turn the ignition to On, the Security light
should not be On. If it is On solid, the key pellet resistance doesn't match, what the CCM was programmed for. A 3 minute lock out period begins and the starter won't engage. You must wait for the timeout to expire before trying to start the vehicle again.

Are you saying you turned the ignition On the Security light was blinking and SYS was flashing in the speedometer LCD?

If yes that indicates a problem with the CCM and PCM hand shaking and the fuel injectors are disabled. (The manual is not clear but I believe the starter will still engage).

Pull codes by shorting either pin 4 or 5 which are both ground to pin 12 with a piece of wire on the diagnostic connector located above the drivers right knee.

car_obd2.gif

Turn the ignition On. (don't start the engine). Look at the speedometer LCD and verify if there are any trouble codes set.

Module 1 is the CCM
Module 4 is the PCM
Module 9 is ABS/TCS
Module A is Air Bag

CCM DTC 51 is Passkey invalid key detection
CCM DTC 52 Passkey key detection circuit shorted
CCM DTC 53 Passkey key detection circuit open or shorted to B+

Could be the key pellet needs cleaning or is worn out. (Try a different key).
Could be the ignition key cylinder contacts are worn out or the wires which move every time the ignition key cylinder is rotated are bad (stranded wire).

Since your problem is intermittent try a different key.
If that doesn't work replace the ignition key cylinder. (This is item 20 in the diagram below).

If you don't want to change the ignition key cylinder you can bypass it by disconnecting the two pin connector at the base of the steering column and place the correct resistor value across the connector pins leading to the CCM.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q129/88f150xlt/ignitionkeyswitch-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ecss,
I just grabbed my spare set of keys as a back up and I will try what you have suggested.
BTW: When this happened, the starter was Not engaging.
Thank You Very Much, I Appreciate your feedback!

mocart4u, :)

Normal operation with both doors closed. When you insert the key and turn the ignition to On, the Security light turns on then goes off if the key pellet matches the resistance value that the CCM was programmed for.
If the resistance doesn't match, the Security light will stay On solid and a 3 minute lock out period begins where the starter won't engage. You must wait for the timeout to expire before trying to start the vehicle again.

Are you saying you turned the ignition On the Security light was blinking and SYS was flashing in the speedometer LCD?

If yes that indicates a problem with the CCM and PCM hand shaking and the fuel injectors are disabled. (The manual is not clear but I believe the starter will still engage).

Pull codes by shorting either pin 4 or 5 which are both ground to pin 12 with a piece of wire on the diagnostic connector located above the drivers right knee.

car_obd2.gif

Turn the ignition On. (don't start the engine). Look at the speedometer LCD and verify if there are any trouble codes set.

Module 1 is the CCM
Module 4 is the PCM
Module 9 is ABS/TCS
Module A is Air Bag

Could be the ignition key cylinder contacts are worn out or the wires which move every time the ignition key cylinder is rotated are bad (stranded wire).

If that doesn't work replace the ignition key cylinder. (This is item 20 in the diagram below).

If you don't want to change the ignition key cylinder you can bypass it by disconnecting the two pin connector at the base of the steering column and place the correct resistor value across the connector pins leading to the CCM.

Last edited:
What's important is was the Security light on solid ? (worn key pellet or worn ignition key cylinder and a very common problem).

If Security light was blinking and SYS blinking in the LCD that's an indication of a communication problem with the PCM and CCM. Not common on a 94.

Verify there are no codes set by shorting pin 4 or 5 to pin 12.

ecss, I do believe that when this happened the Security light was solid.

Thank You for your advise!

What's important is was the Security light on solid ? (worn key pellet or worn ignition key cylinder and a very common problem).

If Security light was blinking and SYS blinking in the LCD that's an indication of a communication problem with the PCM and CCM. Not common on a 94.

Verify there are no codes set by shorting pin 4 or 5 to pin 12.

Last edited:
I've had that same problem...the chip in the is not communicating with the security system...when it doesn't start...stay in the car and tien the key back to the initial position...wait 4 minutes for the security system to reset and it should start right up. I've owned my c4 for 11 years and it only has 32000 miles...its annoying but thats just the way it is.

clean the pallet on the key and the cyl. lock with electronic cleaner. They have to make an electrical connection. I have had my 90 for 10 yrs and have had this problem twice.

My c4 will allow me to turn the ignition without the key inserted all the way and the same exact thing will happen to me. I make sure i push the key in all theway and i have no problems with it (other than an occasional brain fart)

Vats

Sounds like potential Vats issue to me. If you want to test it out, there are Vats bypass setups available that don't require cutting wiring (plug and play) that once in place give the system a signal the key is in the ignition via substituting a resistor value in place of the key. If that tests out then you've pretty much nailed it down that it's the resistor on the key is not being read.

Just a thought.

Normal operation if either door is open the Security light blinks with the
ignition Off. The Security light is Off when both doors are closed.
When you insert the key and turn the ignition to On, the Security light
should not be On. If it is On solid, the key pellet resistance doesn't match, what the CCM was programmed for. A 3 minute lock out period begins and the starter won't engage. You must wait for the timeout to expire before trying to start the vehicle again.

car_obd2.gif

Module 1 is the CCM
Module 4 is the PCM
Module 9 is ABS/TCS
Module A is Air Bag

Hello I’m having the same problem but I have no codes ? But security light is on wen I try to crank

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom