Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The split window on 1963 models

L88 crazy

Corvette
1972 Blue T top
Does the split rear window really limit rear visibility at all? I am curious about it.

The signature rib between the rear glass panes was designed to accentuate the resemblance to a real stingray. The rear visibility issue was addressed in 1964 with the full glass deck. One and only.

never have had any problems with my 1963 SWC

It does hamper the view, but after a while you get use to it. The hardest thing I felt getting use to was not having the mirror on the passenger (right) side. The other thing about the 63 is the rear view mirror is rather small compared to the newer cars, again it takes getting use too. Would this stop me from buying the SWC...no way....I will adapt. Before the 63 Corvette, the split windows were found on several older model cars. Bill Mitchell and Larry Sindona (sp) knew this. I read someplace they used a British Car that had a split window as an example...I don't recall the name of the car. However I do recall seeing some older cars with split rear windows and cannot name them at this time, I think one was a NASH, and the other was an old Austin....

However. the styling que for the 63 was a combination of many old ideas made new. The headlights were a favorite of Bill Mitchell and were taken from the Cord, along with several other styling ques.....

So for going long on the post, but thought you would like to know....

split window impression

The split is not a hinderence to the rear view as it is not wide enough to hide a following vehicle. It is close enough to the driver's eye that it is of no optical concern.

That being said, it is the coupe design from 63 to 67 that somewhat compromises the rear view. The high placement and curve of the rear glass in the 63-7 coupe design causes more of a problem that seems to go unmentioned.

Early magazine reviews of the 63 coupe constantly mentioned the obstructed view caused by the split but I suspect the comments were not always based on personal experience. Many who write articles about midyears include the 'standard history', part of which is the obligatory mention of the obstructive split.

Interestingly the most obstructed rear view that exists on any model vette rarely becomes the topic of discussion. That is the C-1 ragtop.

jjmish said:
The split is not a hinderence to the rear view as it is not wide enough to hide a following vehicle. It is close enough to the driver's eye that it is of no optical concern.

That being said, it is the coupe design from 63 to 67 that somewhat compromises the rear view. The high placement and curve of the rear glass in the 63-7 coupe design causes more of a problem that seems to go unmentioned.

Early magazine reviews of the 63 coupe constantly mentioned the obstructed view caused by the split but I suspect the comments were not always based on personal experience. Many who write articles about midyears include the 'standard history', part of which is the obligatory mention of the obstructive split.

Interestingly the most obstructed rear view that exists on any model vette rarely becomes the topic of discussion. That is the C-1 ragtop.

A couple of questions in the quote from personal knowledge are easily handled as I have both a 62 and 63 purchased new. Three speeding tickets later and when the 64 coupes hit the street that 63`s rear window was history. It blocked the interior windshield mirrors vision and the little round drivers door mirror was not any help. The comment about a earlys {62} soft top visibility was cured by turning the dash mirror upside down that raised the mirror so visibility over the bottom of the soft top was never a problem. I learned that early on with my 61. I always thought that it should have been that way in the first place.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom