Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Ultimate Wheel Care Guide

D

DetailingDude

"The Ultimate Wheel Care Guide".

Editor's Note: I feel like the most of the car care industry has wheel care all wrong. They produce a rather strong wheel acid rather than producing a wheel care system. Zymol is the exception. They have a fantastic wheel care kit. Just remember that your wheels are subject to as much abuse as your paint but in different ways so it is best to be pro-active to damage rather than reactive with chemicals. By that I mean that an ounce of protection goes a long way.

This Winter if your Vette is put away and you are going to methodically clean it up I suggest you take each wheel off and Detail it in your house on some newspaper in front of the TV. Without further ado Here's my Ultimate Wheel Care Guide.......

Chrome and painted lug nuts may scratch during removal and installation. Here's my guide for Safely Removing Lug Nuts:
Before you start make sure that you have the following:
Lug Nut Wrench
Thick plastic Freezer Bag
Jack
Jack Stand
Car Wash Solution
Wash Bucket
Detailing Brush
100% Cotton Towel

Step 0: Make sure that the wheels are cool to the touch.
Step 1: Wash them as you normally would
Step 2: With a Detail Brush get down and clean the recesses as best as possible.
Step 3: Wrap a heavy-duty Plastic Freezer Bag over one Lug Nut. The plastic will stretch but will not tear for metal to metal contact. When using a rag for protection ---- a rag will tear and thus damage the lug nut.
Step 4: Place the Lug Wrench over the Wrapped Lug Nut. Make sure that the Lug Nut remains covered.
Step 5: Position your body in such a way to eliminate the effect of torque on your back.
Step 6: Release the Lug Nut and give two full rotations.
Step 7: Repeat Steps 4, 5, and 6 in a 'Star Pattern'. Start with a fresh section of plastic for each lug.
Step 8: Jack up your Wheels one at a time and secure a Jack Stand in the appropriate support area.
Step 9: Remove the Lug Nuts and store in a safe place.
Step 10: Remove the Wheel.

Here's my guide to Detailing your wheels:
Before you start make sure you have the following:
Clay Bar
Non-Abrasive Paint Cleaner and Applicator
Wax and Applicator
MicroFiber Towel

Step 0: Make sure that the wheels are cool to the touch.
Step 1: Wash them as you normally would
Step 2: With a detail brush get down and clean the recesses as best as possible.
Step 3: Use your clay bar to clean up the surfaces.
Step 4: Use a non-abrasive paint cleanser to polish the surfaces. If you need to polish the wheels use the appropriate polishing material. Zymol's HD Cleanse, Lusso Paint Revitalizing Creme or the equivalent.
Step 5: Wax (I suggest that you apply a few coats) Your wax can be your regular car wax be that Zaino, Pinnacle, Zymol, Lusso, P21S, Mother's or Meguiar's. If you have chrome wheels DO NOT wax them as chrome needs to breathe.

Here's my guide for maintaining your wheels: For best results wash once a week
Before you start make sure you have the following:
Spray Bottle with Car Wash Solution diluted 35:1 with water
Wheel Detailing Brush
2x 100% Cotton Towel (Hand Towel Size)
Garden Hose

Step 1: Make sure wheels are cool to the touch
Step 2: Spray off as much brake dust as possible
Step 3: Spray on diluted Car Wash Solution
Step 4: With one Cotton Towel wash the Wheel
Step 5: Hose off
Step 6: Spray on diluted Car Wash Solution
Step 7: With the Wheel Detailing Brush clean the recesses
Step 8: Hose off
Note: Wash all 4 wheels, then wash and dry your Vette's body then dry off the wheels with the other Cotton Towel

Sounds like a great program, Dude. I have one question...I've heard that you can and should polish chrome. Not true??

Elaine

GS Diva said:
Sounds like a great program, Dude. I have one question...I've heard that you can and should polish chrome. Not true??

Elaine

Chrome is something that I am doing research on right now.

When you say polish I am assuming that you mean protect.

There has long been the thought that chrome should not be waxed.... so you don't seal the pours and trap gasses in there and have bubbling problems later on.

Mother's has chrome care products that have wax in them and they say that waxing them is fine. From the professionals who I have spoken to they all say to let the chrome breathe. I am certainly not saying that Mothers is wrong but I will post a "Chrome Care Guide" later on this week when I have completed the discussions with the Chrome manufacturers.

I have factory '78 wheels , they are getting pitted. Will the clay bar remove the pitting, if not whats the best way?

Sorry, I missed this post......

What type of wheels are they? I am guessing Aluminium?

Yes, the factory Aluminium. I decided to give them to Wheels America. It's worth the $400...I've only heard good thing about them. I've been told on this forum that the only way to repair pitting is to wet sand till it hurts...:(

Yeah it is a real fun job!!! Let us know how it goes.

How abaut MAG-weel`s. Mine are rather pitted. How do i fix those ??
Max

wheels america

I have 1980 aluminum wheels,and I keep hearing about this company;WHEELS AMERICA ;do they redo the wheels over? If any of you guys have any info on this please reply;cost ,where are they located,how long it takes,shipping;just general info;or maybe a website or address,would be real helpful.THANKS....

SHADY80
I recently had my wheels on my '90 completely refinished to original finish here in VA. Not sure where you are located in PA, but if you're not too far from Northern VA, it might be worth the trip here or the shipping might be less than to Wheels America. Not saying ones better than the other, just saying we're closer is all. My wheels turned out beautiful. Balanced, true, and a beautiful finish for $125 pe rim. If interested, email me and I'll get you the info. Best of luck with yours!:)

redo my wheels

44 MAG- if your not busy,how about e-mailin that info.THANKS A LOT. Have a good "holiday"

SHADY80
I sent you and email with all the specs. Sorry for the delay.:duh

SHADY80 said:
I have 1980 aluminum wheels,and I keep hearing about this company;WHEELS AMERICA ;do they redo the wheels over? If any of you guys have any info on this please reply;cost ,where are they located,how long it takes,shipping;just general info;or maybe a website or address,would be real helpful.THANKS....
I just purchased a set of 04 polished thin spokes. I had Wheels America strip the clear off them because the party that had them before me had wheel weights placed on the outside which caused the clear coat to be gouged. Nasty. They do ok but for the price I paid them ($480.00) they only stripped the outside and not the barrels. I was upset but deceided to finish the job myself. After I finished I felt I really could have saved $$$ by doing the whole job myself. End result is after they are polished they look fantastic! They just dont have the clear coat on them any more. Good Luck.:beer

SHADY80
I recently had my wheels on my '90 completely refinished to original finish here in VA. Not sure where you are located in PA, but if you're not too far from Northern VA, it might be worth the trip here or the shipping might be less than to Wheels America. Not saying ones better than the other, just saying we're closer is all. My wheels turned out beautiful. Balanced, true, and a beautiful finish for $125 pe rim. If interested, email me and I'll get you the info. Best of luck with yours!:)

Where did you get this done? I live in Ashburn VA. Need to have mine repaired.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom