Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Wave

MrMick said:
I went cruising Sunday with the top off. Very nice day and had a great time.
Lots of Vettes out cruising. BUT,I noticed an odd thing.
Here in southern Ohio it's nearly impossible to get THE WAVE from a C-5 owner.
Don't they know about The Wave. Are they snooty Baby Boomers who are too good to Wave.
Don't they know THE WAVE is a Corvette tradition? A duty!
A recognition of Brotherhood. A Kinship know only by a few!
:( But sadly,no wave.
I think those who don't wave should be doomed to sit a listen to a Mustang rust, practising THE WAVE that whole week.
Wake up Ohio C-5 owners. Look down at us lowly C-4 owners and Wave.
We'll be happy to Wave back.:w
Gee Bob,

Nice to see that you too are trying to keep the "C5's don't wave" myth alive. I noticed you tried several theories - like the snooty baby boomer idea. Be careful there Bob - after all you were born in 1953. I like the "wave is a Corvete tradition" theory you put forward. Perhaps it's a regional problem isolated to your area. And finally the idea that C5'ers might think less of you C4 pilots. That's just not true.

Bob, it's just "you" that we C5'ers don't wave to.

Remo:cool

There are quite a few C5r's that dont wave. Chevrolet should at delivery of a new Corvette ( C5 and soon to be C6) require the individual that they will wave to all other Corvettes regardless of age or condition. A signed disclosure will work fine. If one does not wave they will relinquish all rights to owning their Vette and the vehicle immediatley gets turned over to a CAC member..... Ill take the first one!!!!!!!!

MRANT212, You won't be getting my C5. I'm a waver. Anyway, that same disclosure should also include at least one trip to Bowling Green. I'm thinking of taking a ride this summer or fall. I know I'll enjoy it but my wife probably wouldn't. She doesn't understand the Corvette enthusiast. Has anyone who's been there have any comments or suggestions?

You really never know -
My wife was 7 months pregnant when we took our first road trip in the vette. ( All the way from the Gulf of Mexico to Bowling Green and back.)
Her favorite parts of the trip were the Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, and the Plant Tour in Bowling Green.

We had about a week to kill while on the road, so instead of driving the 9 hrs up and 9 hours back, we took the scenic route up thru AL, into GA, TN, NC, and then back thru TN to Nashville. Stayed there a few days and did a day trip into BG, KY.
Then after another day in Nashvegas, TN, we cruised down thru MS to the Gulf again.

We did the trip in October when the leaves were changing on the trees. (and the temps were cooler)

Rain

Nevets2004 said:
MRANT212, You won't be getting my C5. I'm a waver. Anyway, that same disclosure should also include at least one trip to Bowling Green. I'm thinking of taking a ride this summer or fall. I know I'll enjoy it but my wife probably wouldn't. She doesn't understand the Corvette enthusiast. Has anyone who's been there have any comments or suggestions?

Rain, There's nothing like a long Vette trip travelling in style. Good advice, October sounds great. I'll try to get away from work and see if I can't get to Bowling Green this fall

This post got me to remember when I first heard about waving, I was about 15 years old and my Uncle bought a MG and told me about the wave. He said all the sports cars guys waved to one and other, but the lower priced cars (Triumph, MG, Sunbeam etc.)waved to each other and the higher priced (Porshe, Corvette, Jaguar, Mercedes)might wave but usually ignored the lower ones and only waved to each other.

There was a caste system according to how much was paid for the cars. Having owned Sunbeams, Triumphs and Corvettes I can agree with what he told me long ago. I wave at all Corvettes and recently met a new Corvette Owner at a car show and told him about "the Wave" and his wife was wondering why people were wavibg at them. So perhaps it is more from not knowing about the tradition then snobby attitude.

Thanks for the very thoughtful insight Remo
I'm glad to know it's "Just Me".
I have a special "Single Digit" wave for you.
MrMick

I was about to ask the same thing about C4 owners. I live in northern Mississippi, whenever I see another Vette, I wave, regardless of generation. Funny thing, I never get a return wave from C4's. I always get a wave from C5's. Please don't judge us by the few who evidently are not aware of the heritage and comradery of this fine car.

MrMick said:
Thanks for the very thoughtful insight Remo
I'm glad to know it's "Just Me".
I have a special "Single Digit" wave for you.
MrMick
Glad I could help. I think by now you realize the "C5's don't wave" deal is an urban myth. If you read this entire thread you quickly come to the conclusion that the non-wave problem is not isolated to C5's. Incidentally this subject has been beaten to death. If you search the CAC on the topic "wave" the results will stagger you.:w

Regards,

I almost always wave to tail-gaters, but do not use all of my fingers. I AM trying to change....I AM!

In SoCal, there are obstacles to waving. Too many cars, too many drivers into something other than driviing, and often, a wide spread of opposing lanes. I find the reflection off the steeply raked glass an obstacle to seeing the other driver and admit to not always waving. Seems I slow down on behaviors that are not positively reinforced. I'll work on that, too, while not deciding why a few didn't wave back.

I bought my vette about 2 years ago...my first one. The guy who sold me the car told me about the wave, and that I should always return (or initiate) it. (Of course, it took 2 hours to pry the keys out of his fingers after we traded money for title. He went into excruciating detail about all the traditions and protocal of owning a vette. I just humored him...until I found this site. Then I realized how serious owning a vette can be.)

So...I wave at all vettes. Last Sunday was a spectacular day in the NW, and the top was off as I drove. Passed another C4, who wouldn't even look at me, but I did get a wave from a C5. I thought it was a C5 thing to not wave at C4's, but I guess that's not necessarily the case?

Anyway...I love the car, I love this site, and I'll "save the wave".

:v I've had a good time reading everyone's reply to THE WAVE.I guess We've all been "rejected" by owners who don't know any better.I think it just comes down to the person and not the year of Vette. Unfortunatly,to some, a Corvette is just a car. But for most of us a Corvette is not just a machine to get from point A to point B. It's not just transportation.
It's knowing you have a very special car with a long history,and you're a part of it.
It's knowing most guys want one but few have one.
It's knowing when you see another Vette that that owner feels just like you do.
AND......
It's the smile you can't wipe off your face when you start it up.:Steer
If you own a Vette,you understand. Those who don't never will.
Keep Waving Guys,:w I Will.

First, I think GM took that out of the owners manual :L

Second, they will get theres with the C6 coming out.
Can't wait to see the gripes in the C5 section about the snooty C6 owners snubbing them :w

MrMick said:
:v I've had a good time reading everyone's reply to THE WAVE.I guess We've all been "rejected" by owners who don't know any better.I think it just comes down to the person and not the year of Vette. Unfortunatly,to some, a Corvette is just a car. But for most of us a Corvette is not just a machine to get from point A to point B. It's not just transportation.
It's knowing you have a very special car with a long history,and you're a part of it.
It's knowing most guys want one but few have one.
It's knowing when you see another Vette that that owner feels just like you do.
AND......
It's the smile you can't wipe off your face when you start it up.:Steer
If you own a Vette,you understand. Those who don't never will.
Keep Waving Guys,:w I Will.
You just hit the nail on the head with that one. I totally agree.

I still say it is not a matter of C5 owners being snooty, it is just that many of them are not true Corvette enthusiast, they just like the cool fast car. They haven't gotten the whole experience yet. Many of them never will. I'll keep a waving.:w

Keeping The Myth Alive

garycr14 said:
I still say it is not a matter of C5 owners being snooty, it is just that many of them are not true Corvette enthusiast, they just like the cool fast car. They haven't gotten the whole experience yet. Many of them never will. I'll keep a waving.:w
Gary,

Is your opinion based on any published data or a known scientific study? Or is it more likely your casual observations coupled with the C5 urban myth? Just as I said to MrMick, if you read the entire thread you will quickly come to the conclusion that the "no wave" deal is not isolated to C5 drivers. On the other hand maybe they just don't wave to you.

garycr14 said:
I still say it is not a matter of C5 owners being snooty, it is just that many of them are not true Corvette enthusiast, :w
I have had 2 C5's, and I am a Corvette enthusiast. I agree that there is some truth in what you say, but we are not all like that. In my area, I would say that the large majority of C5 owners wave.

Remo said:
Gary,

Is your opinion based on any published data or a known scientific study? Or is it more likely your casual observations coupled with the C5 urban myth? Just as I said to MrMick, if you read the entire thread you will quickly come to the conclusion that the "no wave" deal is not isolated to C5 drivers. On the other hand maybe they just don't wave to you.

Published data? Scientific study? If you read what I have said, it's not all C5 drivers, nor have I used the term "most", but I have found that there are a higher number of C5 drivers who don't wave than what I have observed from other generations of vette owners. What I have found myself, not with any kind of scientific study, is that 1 out of 5 vette drivers that I run across in a day do not wave back. Usually that 1 driver is in a C5, but not always. I also will say that I get more return waves in my C4 than in my C3...again no scientific study, just my observation.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom