Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Time to buy a lift! Which one/what type?

I store my 04 Z06 on top and my 68 on the bottom. I have a 9'-3" cieling and that leaves about 3-4inches clearence. I did'nt like the 7 weeks I had to wait either but it was worth the wait.

Here's a couple pics of my lift, hope they come through..
Backyardbuddy002.jpg

Backyardbuddy003.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t61/jims427400/Backyardbuddy001.jpg

KEEP IN MIND THAT IF THE COMPANY YOUR DEALING WITH...

DOES NOT HAVE,their physical ADDRESS displayed,
THATS A HUGE RED FLAG.........PROBABLY an EXCELLENT indicator to avoid them

IF they DON'T advertize their lifts as
ALI certified/validated by ETL
THATS A HUGE RED FLAG.........

IF THERES NO LOCAL DEALER
IF theres NO LOCAL INSTALLER AND REPAIR
THATS A HUGE RED FLAG.........

TAKE THE TIME TO DO RESEARCH and FIND OUT WHAT SEVERAL PREVIOUS CUSTOMERS THINK, HOW LONG THE COMPANYS BEEN IN BUSINESS , ETC.

remember the price is only one factor, theres no gain in getting a good price on JUNK that can,t be repaired, something that parts are not going to be available for in a few years or something that will sooner or later get you killed, due to crappy workmanship or design or something being made out of marginally crappy steel, or thin steel to save weight but costing your lift strength......theres a GOOD REASON ITS CHEAPER, ITS WORTH A GOOD DEAL LESS AND IN MOST OF THE CASES, you TEND too GET what you pay for!
what have you gained if the damn lift stops working and you can,t get it repaired or if it fails and you or your car is seriously damaged or totaled, will that great low price ,off set ,being crippled for life or dead

All good advice from what I have seen in this industry.

All that said I see a "Backyard Buddy" in the garage picture and that is the conclusion I have come to also. I'll be ordering mine today.

If your planning on moving your lift around the garage,I'd recommend a set of dollies. They make it very easy to move it around, you can even leave a car on the lift when moving around. I think you'll be happy with your choice. How long did they say youd have to wait ?

Lift Info

I put a lift in my garage this past September. I had helped put together a BYB for a club member, but did my own research to find what I wanted. I ended up buying a lift from Greg Smith Equipment. All I can tell you is that the lift is real quality. I bought a model for extra height because I did not want to be banging my head walking underneath. My lift is an 8000# capacity, extra height... and came with drip trays, jack tray and casters... all quality... less than $1800 plus shipping (about $300). The BYB I helped put together was less capacity (weight), not the height (none offered by them)... and the guy bought the casters, drip trays and jack tray.... all for alittle over $5000. Nice lift, but too expensive for what you get and after all of the research I did, my lift is perfect. I believe the model I bought was a ProPark 8 from Greg Smith Equipment.
Great experience... from ordering, to receipt, to installation...(less than a day to put together).
By far, the best tool in my garage!
DJ

I would agree with you 100%. I have had my Pro-Park 8s (standard model)for about 3 weeks now and think it is by far the best value out there.

Lift

It's nice to get some positive feedback. I bought mine in September, but not before spending 8 or 9 months researching everything that was out there. You hear alot about "foreign steel", sloppy welds, etc. I checked everything out there and the final straw was a Carlisle when I approached the Backyard Buddy guy and asked about a lift with more height than their stock. After not really wanting to answer my question in front of other potential customers there, he said they could make one for a "few thousand dollars more". Add that to the $5000 for their stock model... I drove home after enjoying Corvettes of Carlisle... and ordered my lift.

It's nice to get some positive feedback. I bought mine in September, but not before spending 8 or 9 months researching everything that was out there. You hear alot about "foreign steel", sloppy welds, etc. I checked everything out there and the final straw was a Carlisle when I approached the Backyard Buddy guy and asked about a lift with more height than their stock. After not really wanting to answer my question in front of other potential customers there, he said they could make one for a "few thousand dollars more". Add that to the $5000 for their stock model... I drove home after enjoying Corvettes of Carlisle... and ordered my lift.

Yea, I heard all that too, but I can say, without reserve, that the quality of the welds, steel and service are top quality. I have been researching my purchase for probably a year. I'm not saying that BYB and some others aren't a quality product, I'm just saying that with all things considered, my Pro-Park 8s is the best buy (at least for my money).

Question: :w
What is the minimum ceiling height required to be able to put a 67 Corvette Coupe on a Backyard Buddy and a 67 Corvette Coupe underneath?
Also which size BYB would be best?

Question: :w
What is the minimum ceiling height required to be able to put a 67 Corvette Coupe on a Backyard Buddy and a 67 Corvette Coupe underneath?
Also which size BYB would be best?
The best lift for the money and the ONLY American/Canadian made lift is the Backyard Buddy. The other ones are junk. Goto BYB website for a comparison. I bought a lift that was made in China (all but BYB are, don't let people tell you otherwise), I ordered it on Saturday at Carlisle, canceled my order on Sunday and bought a BYB. You have a very expensive car, why cheap up on the lift..... I spent about $1500 more but got a much better product. Guys will defend their lifts, who wants to feel bad about an expensive purchase. But if you love your car, love it enough to buy the best. Good Luck

67vette,
I have a BYB, and would recommend it highly.. worth the extra $1500. I have 9'-5" cieling in my garage. My 67 coupe on the bottom and 68 roadster on top. Have approximately 12inches on top and about 4 inches in the middle. I also switch by keeping my 04 Z06 with 67 on top with basically same spacings.
I bet if you have 9 ft you"ll be ok.
You'll love it,
Jim

The other ones are junk.

That's a sweeping generality, and it isn't true. The BYB is a fine lift, but their new "scare tactics" marketing strategy is hogwash. There have been THOUSANDS of other lifts out there for many years; lift accidents are VERY rare, and I've never seen one that wasn't a result of operator inattention.

That's a sweeping generality, and it isn't true. The BYB is a fine lift, but their new "scare tactics" marketing strategy is hogwash. There have been THOUSANDS of other lifts out there for many years; lift accidents are VERY rare, and I've never seen one that wasn't a result of operator inattention.

Thank you for your insight JohnZ. It bothers me when a company does that. If so many of the foreign lifts fail, I would think that we would surely hear about them, and those models would be taken off the market. I know that the place I bought mine stands behind it 100%, they have been in business for a long time and sell many lifts a month. I have had mine going on a year now and love it......and I have only had the car fall off twice! :boogie

I appreciate your comments John Z. :w Thats why I am trying to gain as much info now before I make the choice.

The comment about only falling off the lift twice is good. Does it get easier after the first fall?

Anyone with additional measurements would be greatly appreciated.

I am only assuming that the cars are about like mine, about 47" tall...... With that being the case, you could get them both there with a 9' ceiling. The Pro-Park 8s stands about 84" at the highest point. The platform is about 6" thick. So 9' ceilings would give you a little room to spare. I can't speak for the BYB, as I don't remember the specs on it.

story of my life:eyerole found out over the weekend that a saab dealership that just went out of business auctioned off all his equipment and a friend of mine got not 1 but 2 almost brand new 4 post lifts for less than 1 new one along with a ton of tools..... seems hardly anyone knew about this auction and the weather was bad the day of so he had hardly any competition..... why doesnt this ever happen to me

From my past experience, two things to consider when buying a lift- the product and the installation. I bought my lift from a local equiplment company here in Orlando. I had problems with the hydraulic pump which led to a cable problem. My lift was "broken" and my car was stuck 5 feet up!!!!!. I gave the company a call, and they came out immediately to safely get my car down and replaced the pump and all the cables- all parts and service under warranty. If I had purchased my lift online, I would have been SOL. So........ I would purchase from a company that warrants both parts and service. When you purchase your lift, check proper leveling of the lift with a laser level (these are cheep now)- level the four lift corners to the floor (may need to use some type of shim if floor is not level), then level the ratcheting system if adjustable, then finally level the cabeling/platform system. Hope this helps.

After all the effort put into choosing a lift how many of you do any maintenance on it? Shamefully I have to admit only doing that myself twice after 12 years and most likely many hundreds of lifts. The second time I changed the hydraulic fluid even though it’s a closed system it had its share of contaminates. New grease for the pulleys, check shafts for wear, and rechecked all bolts, nuts, and set screws. Even though it’s a stationary object they do work loose, not many but it only takes one in the right place to be a bad experience. Check the swaged ends and for any fretting on the cable itself.

Note the pulleys, as they tend to roll a sharp edge up on the exit of the cable. It is sharp and should be removed to keep it from cutting into the cable strands. Aside from cutting into cable it could catch a strand and cause it to ride up and out of the pulleys, hopefully not likely but I’ve always trimmed that sharp edge off.

It’s made by man and can have man made problems, stay safe.

Today my Backyard Buddy Lift was installed. The people at BYB were very helpful when I gave them my measurements for the ceiling height and car height.
There were no issues with missing or defective parts. Didn't need to use a sledge hammer to make things fit. Nice, tight and clean.

I will be putting the 54 Corvette on the top. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom