Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Time to look at new tires

TheSearcher

Corvette
2004 Torch Red Coupe
I looked at new tires about a year ago and frankly there weren't many options for runflats other than replacing the Goodyears at about $400 each.

Today I get a fax with the following options to fit my 2004 C5

1 - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, $1,057 for the set.
2 - Kumho MX Run Flat ECSTA, $1,160 for the set,
3 - Firestone SZ50EP RFT, $1,128 for the set,
4 - Stock Goodyears - discontinued!
5 - New style Goodyears - $1,630 for the set.

WOW big changes!

Michelins have always been great tires for me. Anyone using these or have comments on any of the above?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus are what we have on our 2003 ("Abby") ;) we like'm alot :dance

Bud

Searcher,

I've got the Kumho runflats on my 01. I like 'em mighty fine.

I just looked at Tire Rack and they show a price of 838 plus shippage.

Big difference between that and the 1100 you show.

I'm just sayin'. ;shrug

Jim

I've got the Pilot Sports on my Vert :thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my 96 currently.

It had the Firestones on it when I bought it and the Michelins are a much better riding tire.

None of the aftermarket runflat tires meet the specification GM set for RFTs on the C5, so if you want the same runflat ability as the OE tires had, your choice is Goodyear.

If you are willing to accept compromises in the tires' runflat or run low abililities, then I'd go with the one aftermarket runflat that is repairable under limited circumstances.

For more information on replacement runflats, see:
Technical Article: Run Flat Facts

The stock Goodyears have been discontinued!

It looks like the Michelins win. I have used Michelins on other sports cars and they vastly improved the ride and road noise on every car.

I've got Kool Mats in the front and back so road noise is less an issue, but if I didn't have the Kool Mats, I would probably look at a non run flat, and carry a plug kit and an air compressor.

Besides, I haven't had a flat tire in ten years.

I simply cannot buy anything made in Japan or China if there is a made in the USA alternative.

Been very happy with my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZPs.

tirerack.com still shows availability for the 'stock' Goodyear F1 GS tire for the C5. ~$1284+shipping.

I used Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZPs on my '03 and was very happy with them. The second owner (my co-worker) is still using the Michelin tires on the car and my boss is using them on his '03. While the Michelin tires may not comply with GM's tire specifications for the C5, I never had any problem with them.

I think a check of which tires are ACTUALLY made in our country is in order.

I think most people will be surprised at how FEW really are made in the USA.

Read the article but it's outdated, there are newer generaton runflat tires out there.

I bought the Michelin's in June. They are very nice tires, rides much better and quieter than the Kuhmo's that were on the 01 when I bought it. But the Kuhmos were worn and the alignment was off and caused them to cup making them a bit more noisy, but I'm not sorry that I bought the Michelin's and they were cheaper than the Kumho's.

It's not how they handle, or how they ride, or how they last, or how quiet they are............it's how they look that counts..........(wait for it)........and my new Goodyears LOOK MARVELOUS! :cool

I looked at new tires about a year ago and frankly there weren't many options for runflats other than replacing the Goodyears at about $400 each.

Today I get a fax with the following options to fit my 2004 C5

1 - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, $1,057 for the set.
2 - Kumho MX Run Flat ECSTA, $1,160 for the set,
3 - Firestone SZ50EP RFT, $1,128 for the set,
4 - Stock Goodyears - discontinued!
5 - New style Goodyears - $1,630 for the set.

WOW big changes!

Michelins have always been great tires for me. Anyone using these or have comments on any of the above?

My 1999 has only 13500 miles. I still have the original runflats on it. There is plenty of tread, as I rarely do burnouts.
  1. Do I need new tires simply because my tires are roughly eleven years old?
  2. If I do need new ones, I want runflats. I never drive in the wet on purpose. Handling is more important to me than noise. I would like to buy "made in the USA", and will pay a bit more to do so if need be, but I demand a quality product
Suggestions? Who owns Michelin, and where are Michelin tires made? Thanks for any help. Spring is right around the corner.:thumb

I have had Goodyears, Firestones and Michelins on C5s. I use the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 Pole Position run flat on my C6, and they make the Summer version for the C5. I think the Bridgestone's are always worth consideration. I even have them on the Silverado.

My 1999 has only 13500 miles. I still have the original runflats on it. There is plenty of tread, as I rarely do burnouts.
  1. Do I need new tires simply because my tires are roughly eleven years old?
  2. If I do need new ones, I want runflats. I never drive in the wet on purpose. Handling is more important to me than noise. I would like to buy "made in the USA", and will pay a bit more to do so if need be, but I demand a quality product
Suggestions? Who owns Michelin, and where are Michelin tires made? Thanks for any help. Spring is right around the corner.:thumb

I would say, YES you need new tires. They say that tires deteriorate from thte inside and old tires can fly apart.

With that said, I have the Michelin P-sports AS ZP (run flats). I love them. I believe that Michelin is a French owned company, they also own BF Goodrich, if I'm not mistaken. As for where they are made, I can't say off the top of my head, I'd have to look and see if it says on the tires.

I would say, YES you need new tires. They say that tires deteriorate from thte inside and old tires can fly apart.

With that said, I have the Michelin P-sports AS ZP (run flats). I love them. I believe that Michelin is a French owned company, they also own BF Goodrich, if I'm not mistaken. As for where they are made, I can't say off the top of my head, I'd have to look and see if it says on the tires.

Michelin IS French. Many of their tires are made in South Carolina. If you want an All-American tire, Goodyear is the choice. Firestone is owned by Bridgestone and Goodrich is a Michelin company, as mentioned above.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom