Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Comparison-GY GS-D3s vs TOyo Proxes T1-Rs

Bill Coke

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver Coupe and 1978 Lt Blue Coupe
Geesh, :W I know there have been numerous posts on tires but I have narrowed to two types of non-runflat tires. They both have similar threads and stats. I have replaced GY EMTs with the GS-D3s on an earlier C5 I owned and was very happy with them. Now Toyo comes out with the Proxes T1-R (which Tire Rack has not picked up yet from what I see). I hear the T1-Rs are great in wet and dry handling and wear but have nothing to compare against the GS-D3s (like Tire Rack offers on their site). Looks like they would be pretty much the same when you look at the threads and rating. Need to hear from folks that have miles on both please. What about wear also. Cost-Toyo beats the GY GS-D3s by about 50-60 dollars per tire. I appreciate your comments.:upthumbs
Bill in TN

I have the GSD3s. Don't know anything about the Toyos. Stick with the GSD3s. I wouldn't use the Toyos "just because" I wouldn't use them on my Corvette.

BF Goodrich TA g-Force KDW-2's

Bill,

Here's another alternative. If you liked the Goodyear GS-D3's you'll love the BF Goodrich g-Force KDW-2's. Lot's of C5 owners are going with these as they are a little less money than D3's, have many more sizes to choose from and have a new "nasty" looking tread pattern. And Tire Rack sells them.
Remo:cool

spring07.JPG

Bill - here's a good look at the evil tread design on the BF Goodrich KDW-2's.

tread-1.jpg

I have the T-1S on the front and T-1R on the rear on my '03 Z06. They are fantastic, especially in our usually heavy rain here in S. Florida. They are very quiet and after 14K miles are wearing very well. My local Firestone dealer got them for me for less money than me purchasing from one of the mail order tire vendor's. I purchased the front's first and the rears a few months later, and the R had replaced the S. You will be very pleased.:)

I just got a set of GY GS D3's and I've been really happy with them so much so that they're my second set. I don't have any experience with the Toyo's.

Bill - here's a good look at the evil tread design on the BF Goodrich KDW-2's.

tread-1.jpg

Remo, why you running snow tires on your Vette..:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle

Very agreessive tread indeed...

Remo, why you running snow tires on your Vette..:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle

Very agreessive tread indeed...

Bobby - you never know when you might run into a litttle snow.:L
All kidding aside, these are the newest additiion to the KDW series
that BF Goodrich has done so well with. The biggest complaint from
customers who bought the original KDW's was the hydro-plainning
issue. So Goodrich designed a tread pattern with some monster
sipes to get the water out from under the tire. I recently drove about
three hours (Rhinebeck, NY to West Townsend, MA) in heavy rain
and I'm sold.

bfg_gforce_ta_kdw2_ci2_l.jpg

KDW-2's Are Catching On

Bobby - here's a close up of some more KDW-2's on another C5.
wheel2.jpg

Firestone's on all four corners...

...replaced the rear Goodyear EMT's with Firestone EMT's this last weekend, great ride and they are a lot quiter. :upthumbs
:lou
L8TR - D

More KDW-2's

If you want to get away from the compromising performance of runflats... consider the BF Goodrich g-Force KDW-2's. Many have seen the light.
26122DSC00754.JPG

And The KDW-2 Hits Just Keep On Coming

138119951-M.jpg

And Yet Another With KDW-2's

rearblackout.jpg

Bill, unless you really drive your car to it's limits, either tire should provide you the same amount of performance. I can't speak of tire wear or noise though.
If you are just looking for good replacement tires, I'd say go with the Toyo's.

At a savings of $200-$240, that's a nice bit of change left over to put towards other things...like, say...attending CruiseFest 2007!!! :cool

KDW-2's Rule

OMG!! Even the C6 guys are dumping their runflats for BF Goodrich
g-Force KDW-2's.
DSCN5016.jpg

Tread pattern notwithstanding, have you thought about the Bridgestone Potanza RE050A Pole Positions. #1 in the class. Goodyears were #3. Check @ Tirerack.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom