Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport GY Tires on GS is BS

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.
The C6 "gofaster" versions (ZR1 and Z06) get Michelin PS2s, but the "goevenfaster" versions (ZR1 w. PDE or Z06 w. Z07) get Pilot Sport Cup tires which are basically a run flat casing with a sort of low-tread-depth, racing-rain-tire tread design in a very soft tread compound.

If the PS2s are "not great" but "not all that bad," then PS Cups are "barely acceptable at reduced speed" in light rain and unsafe in anything more than that.

Glad you jumped in on the "Cup" tires since you have personal experience with them. :thumb

Glad you jumped in on the "Cup" tires since you have personal experience with them. :thumb

And that experience has been all good...given my expectations before I took delivery of the car.

I've got a hair over 5000 miles on them and I'm astonished at the tread life. Before I got the car, people were telling me I'd be lucky to get 3000 street miles out of them.

Now, I admit, I'm not running the car in track day events every weekend but the Cup tires are working well for the kind of driving I've been doing.

Based on my experience early-on, with full tread depth, driving in light-to-moderate rain with no areas of standing water on the road and keep the speed at the posted limit, the Cups are ok.

In the dry, they stick like freakin' crazy.

Cup

Pro drivers are setting all kinda lap records at different raceways using those Cup tires. They're basically "cheater slicks", but I guess they really stick like glue (in dry, anyway). Shitty tread life, but that's the result of the soft rubber. I would gladly give up a LITTLE summer grip for a less scary experience in sub 50 weather, though. I'm not a 10/10th driver anyway, and most of us likely aren't either. I was amazed, though, at how scary the GS tires were at 40 degrees. Next year, It'll be covered in the garage by Thanksgiving, just as I always did with my 96 LT4 coupe, so no cold weather driving.

On my GS I got 15000 miles before I changed them to Bridgstones. My rear tires were bald (can't figure out why) and front tires were 2/3 eavenly worn, I had the alignment done to 0 camber and 0 toe when new. Main complaint on GY is that they were extremely dangerous to drive on in the wet the tread is only at 5/32 new so naturally they are going to wear out quick. The Bridgstones are 10/32 new

Bad tires ?

Just brought my '13 Grand Sport back from Columbus Ohio to Chicago Il. The entire trip was cold and rain into snow and slush, ice covered roads after exiting tollway. Nearly 8 hours elapsed drive time and had NO problems or scary events on road. Traction control activated one time moving off standing start from traffic light. Have had worse experience driving the '68 in a torrential downpour than the '91 or '13. No A B S activation either. Kept up with traffic at around posted speeds or the speed traffic was flowing. Will sure look into backing down the alignment to a less aggressive spec to keep those pricey tires alive but sure don't think the car was any kind of dangerous or unmanageable. Looking forward to spring and a road trip to Florida.

I have Nitto Invo's on my GS and like them fine. I am looking to move back into a Run Flat tire soon and was researching on the Tire Rack site and keep hoping someone else will bring out a better A/S set of Run Flats for the GS sizes. So far no joy and I have thought about the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RFT's but read several revews that said they were great tires until they went flat and only lasted 8 to 10 miles before shredding off the rims....which kinda defeates the purpose of a run flat. So the only other viable option is the PS2's which I am sure are good but they sure as hell better be for 2200 bucks........

Anyone have any flat tire experiences with the Bridgestone RFT's?

If anyone is interested in cold temperature driving or even moderate snow .I bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S service 93y and they are run flats .I've had good luck at -10 ,ice and moderate snow .I paid $1100 mounted ,balanced and free alignment
to my spec .

The all season tires can be axle mixed .In other words the all season on rear ,regulars on the front .

In a lot of cases the thought process maybe flawed going away from run flats .

Last edited:
I have Nitto Invo's on my GS and like them fine. I am looking to move back into a Run Flat tire soon and was researching on the Tire Rack site and keep hoping someone else will bring out a better A/S set of Run Flats for the GS sizes. So far no joy and I have thought about the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RFT's but read several revews that said they were great tires until they went flat and only lasted 8 to 10 miles before shredding off the rims....which kinda defeates the purpose of a run flat. So the only other viable option is the PS2's which I am sure are good but they sure as hell better be for 2200 bucks........

Anyone have any flat tire experiences with the Bridgestone RFT's?

I had one of the first sets of Pole Position run flats sold here after they were introduced. I got them through Firestone, Bridgestone's corporate offices. They proved to be a good all around tire on my 2007 Z06, and I will probably buy them for my GS when replacement time comes around. In my view, they are quieter, last longer, marginally better riding, but much, much, much, much safer in the rain. The OEM Supercars scared me in bad weather.

The guys I knew had no problems getting to a shop after a flat, and many of them had the tires plugged, which is not recommended. Of all the tires I've had for my C5s and C6s, I'd say they are the best all around performer, although I've never sprung for the PS tires.

The most important element of tire satisfaction is a good realignment IMHO.

close call

Had a recent situation. About 40 degrees out and I took someone out for a drive in the 13 GS. Went over a slight rise in the road and it happened to be where I needed to shift into second gear. I must have given it too much throttle, although I was NOT speed-shifting. Ass end kicked left, then right, left again, then one more right before I got ahold of the car. I mean SERIOUS tail-wagging. I actually went off the road with right-rear tire at one point. I did NOT feel ANY of the nannies kick in at all. All I can say is that I'm glad I kept a calm head and did not panic. Maybe it was 90% luck and 10% skill - whatever, but that was the CLOSEST I ever came to crashing and actually didn't. Next day I went back to the scene of the crime and saw that when I left the road with right-rear, I came within ONE FOOT of a large tree. A poor unfortunate coming the other way during my joy ride actually flew off the road (pulled several feet into grass shoulder) because I guess he thought I might hit him. I had traction and stability control both on. I also feel a very pronounced shuddering in the rear when I take the car out of the garage, coast down the driveway and then engage clutch at bottom while turning wheel. I turn the wheel because of the swail down there and exiting the swail kinda at an angle decreases the rubbing of the lower air deflector a bit. Yesterday was around 55 degrees and I went out for a spin. Tires did hook up quite a bit better at 55 than 40 (understandable), but at one point I needed to make a slow U-turn and I felt the shuddering back there again, but not nearly as violent as at 40 degrees. For all the old-timers out there, it kinda feels like doing a tight slow turn in a car with a Detroit Locker rear end or any "locked" rear axle, used to feel. Something is NOT right with the traction/stability system but I have no check engine light so I doubt that it has thrown a code as yet, although maybe there's one "pending". I got a feeling that the dealer is going to be mystified by this when I report it. If they don't get a code, they're often unable to track it down.

If anyone is interested in cold temperature driving or even moderate snow .I bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S service 93y and they are run flats .I've had good luck at -10 ,ice and moderate snow .I paid $1100 mounted ,balanced and free alignment
to my spec .

The all season tires can be axle mixed .In other words the all season on rear ,regulars on the front .

In a lot of cases the thought process maybe flawed going away from run flats .

If they only made those to fit the Grand Sports all would be good.....but alas.......they don't.

If they only made those to fit the Grand Sports all would be good.....but alas.......they don't.

I suppose you could buy a set of C6 narrow body wheels and put the Michelin PS A/S ZPs on them and then use them on the GS for winter driving. Might look a little funny. ;)

Btw, I have a set of narrow body wheels for sale!

Last edited:
I suppose you could buy a set of C6 narrow body wheels and put the Michelin PS A/S ZPs on them and then use them on the GS for winter driving. Might look a little funny. ;)

I'm not really wanting to drive in the winter. If I do go out it is a warmer day and the pavement is dry. I'm just bitching and moaning about the lack of RF choices that now exist for the GS. Lots of choices if you go non RF. Out here in the wild west we can get way out up in the Sandhills or out in the middle of Wyoming and it would be nice to have something you can limp in on. I bought the Michelin A/S's Z/P's for my C5 and loved them and wanted to go with them for the GS. I will go with the summer tire Michelins this spring.....

I have thought of going to a narrower rim on the rears but don't know how bad that would screw things up......maybe not bad since the overall diameter would be close.....as long as I stayed with 19 inch wheels......hmmmmm.......I do kinda like those big meats in back though...... :)

Last edited:
Tire selection for my Vette is even worse. The only RF's available are the Michelin PS2 ZPs or the Michelin Cup tires - neither are winter tires. Good thing Oklahoma has relatively mild winters. ;)

That is correct they are not available at this time .I did talk to a friend that works for Michelin in South Carolina and he claims that there is a good chance AS run flats (Grand Sport) will be available by late summer .The fact that my circle of friends are neither intelligent nor trustworthy should have no bearing on my post .:D Hopefully I'm not passing misinformation but thats what the man said.

That is correct they are not available at this time .I did talk to a friend that works for Michelin in South Carolina and he claims that there is a good chance AS run flats (Grand Sport) will be available by late summer .The fact that my circle of friends are neither intelligent nor trustworthy should have no bearing on my post .:D Hopefully I'm not passing misinformation but thats what the man said.

Try to get that on tape will you? Or better yet ply him with alcohol and see it you can film him saying this........:D

I would hate to buy the P2's and then see that they bring out the A/S tires... I will send Michelin a note and see what they say......if anything. That's good info but I wonder if the prices would be better than what is currently available?

Try to get that on tape will you? Or better yet ply him with alcohol and see it you can film him saying this........:D

I would hate to buy the P2's and then see that they bring out the A/S tires... I will send Michelin a note and see what they say......if anything. That's good info but I wonder if the prices would be better than what is currently available?
I'd highly recommend that anyone interested send Michelin a note email etc ,If my information was not correct at least they will know there is a demand .Their US offices are in South Carolina.I wish ya all luck .:thumb

I got on the Michelin web site and sent them an email and about an hour later they answered and were happy to tell me that they offer the PS2 in the sizes for my car......I said thank you and yes I know that....but what I want is the PS2 A/S tires for my car in a ZP and sent it back to them....I had stated that in my original email to them. I will let you know what they say.....

tires

I got on the Michelin web site and sent them an email and about an hour later they answered and were happy to tell me that they offer the PS2 in the sizes for my car......I said thank you and yes I know that....but what I want is the PS2 A/S tires for my car in a ZP and sent it back to them....I had stated that in my original email to them. I will let you know what they say.....

Just spoke with Michelin today. Rep said to look for the Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires that are just out. These are Ultra High Performance All-Season tires. Supposedly in GS sizes but not yet in "ZP" (zero pressure - run flat). Those will be out likely late in 2014. By that time, the junk Goodyears will probably be shot anyways...

Just spoke with Michelin today. Rep said to look for the Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires that are just out. These are Ultra High Performance All-Season tires. Supposedly in GS sizes but not yet in "ZP" (zero pressure - run flat). Those will be out likely late in 2014. By that time, the junk Goodyears will probably be shot anyways...

late 14 or late 13?........late 13 I can maybe wait.....but late 14 is a long way aways.....

wait

late 14 or late 13?........late 13 I can maybe wait.....but late 14 is a long way aways.....

He said mid-to-late 2014, likely late. If you don't require ZP, you can get them this year. I spoke to the guy about flat-fix cans and he agrees that they are not the hot setup. Can affect balance of wheel/tire assembly, make a mess inside the tire, and can cause a hazard to a tire changer as the goop can, in some cases, be explosive. That's all we need...<grin>. I'll use up the Goodyear junks and by then I'll likely go with the ZP's. Michelins are quite expensive compared to the competition, but they really are good tires. I just know I can't get another set of OEM's.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom