Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire got screwed

Vettepirate

Corvette
2002 Blue z06
My front left tire now harbours a galvanised Robertson screw. Its about in the middle of the tire, which i hear is a good thing.

Im wondering if I should simply leave the tire be? I figure the offender isnt going anywhere, and since the front wheels dont provide power it shouldnt be too bad. Im not sure if this will incur a loss of traction either, i havent noticed any.

There was a recent post on tire repair.I'd be tempted to remove it and repair the tire.I've removed a few that never actually leaked.Good luck and i'll wave my next time in Ottawa.

My question would be, why wouldn't you fix it? At least you know about it and can take care of it before you have any problems.

I picked up a nail on the way home after getting new tires mounted a few years ago, got it repaired immediately. I've put over 30K miles on it since.
:lou
Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Repair your tire. Since the screw is located practically in the middle of the tread you shouldn't have any problems patching it from the inside.

The best and recomended repair is with a combination patch and plug system called a "boot". The tire's speed rating is unchanged when this type of repair is made. had one done this past weekend cost $15 at the local tire shop.

The best and recomended repair is with a combination patch and plug system called a "boot". The tire's speed rating is unchanged when this type of repair is made. had one done this past weekend cost $15 at the local tire shop.

Yep, depending on the size of the hole that was made you may not even need to combo patch/plug........here is what it looks like :beer

plugpatchcombo.jpg

Tell me about screws in tyres. My left rear had to in it 4 inches apart. The tyres seem to screw magnets! Got mine plugged for $10.

I used to repair flat tires and I would always recommend patching over plugging. I've seen tires that have had plugs start to slowly leak air...reason for this...the small nail hole in the tire is now as large in diameter as the plug. Once this happens you can't plug it again and applying a patch isn't such a great idea either with a hole that large. JMHO.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom