Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire noise

Don Rich

Corvette
2002 Coupe Mag Red, 1976 Corvette Dark Brown
I am ready to change out the G/Y run flats at 20000 miles on my 2002 coupe.
What brand and model tire is out there that is much quieter than the run flats?

How much quieter.

I have heard that Michelins are ok.
Do anyone have any experience with this problem

Thanks Don

tire noise

don, my wifes 2001 has run flats on it, they are about the worst tire i ever been associated with. they are noisy, hard as a rock, and ride like that. if it wasn't for the securty it gives her i'd take them off. my 203 i put gy eagle f1 GS-D3with the V patern(Goodyear calls it one TRED directional tread) they have agreat ride, real nicehot and rainy performace, are not noisy and i think i'd buy anotherset in a heart beat.:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Billy don, there are cheaper tires out there, but you only get what you pay for.

I have a Z06, which did not come with the runflats. But the tire noise was just too much for me; I could not conduct a conversation at freeway speed. So I did three things, most of which don't really apply to you.

First, I bought a partition to isolate the back of the vehicle. I like the looks and function better, anyway.

Second, I put some sound insulation under the carpet throughout the interior. That produced the biggest impact. This is something that you could do. See: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65740

Third, I put some Michelin Pilot Sports on. It is unfair to compare new tires to worn out tires, but I like the Michelins pretty well.

tire noise

Just replaced my G/Y with Michelin Pilots and they are a lot quieter. And I have a vert.

I got rid of the Runflats,Went to Kumho ASX all season!!I went to a salvage yard and bought a older Zo6 tire kit!!! 24,000 miles and still Quiet, Smooth,Super Ride,Great Traction on Wet,Dry,Snowy Pavement, Cut Hydro-Plaining about 98% and Wearing even!!!! Screw SadYear RunCraps!!:upthumbs

Don,

I recently changed out my GY Runflats and went with BF Goodrich g-Force
KDW-2s. Much quieter. better ride and much stickier.
Remo:cool

spring07.JPG

What Remo? You're not running Falken Tires on that vette???? :L

BTW: Run the Miclehen Pilots and very happy with them.

OMG!

What Remo? You're not running Falken Tires on that vette???? :L

Alright folks - this is sort of an inside joke with Blade and I that goes back a few years. So here's the punch line:

"no....they're "falken" BF Goodrich KDW-2's.:L

Remo:cool
spring07.JPG

Remo told some guy with a very heavy Brookyln accent that he had Falken Tires on his vette.

The guy asked him:

Yo Remo, What kind of Falken tires are dey,
are dey Falken Goodyears
or are dey Falken Firestones?

:boogie

I've got the above mentioned Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 and they are a much quieter tire, but as long as you have that big wide open truck like area the car is going to be noisey.

I went with the Goodyear F1 DS G3 tires last year and couldn't happier with them. The handling is superb the difference in noise level is like night and day.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom