Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Tire Pressure

dannykelley

Corvette
!((#white coupe
just got 2002 conv.....no info on driver door and not specified in manual or spec sheet....looking for correct tire pressure

Front and rear 30 psi cold. Had a 2002 coupe and 2002 Z06 and both had the same pressure for the tires, so I assume the vert is the same.

Barrett

just got 2002 conv.....no info on driver door and not specified in manual or spec sheet....looking for correct tire pressure

As others have said 30 psi cold front and rear is factory recommended. I have run the centers out of 2 sets of Michelin and one set of Goodyears with 30 psi in the rear tires, so now I run them at 28 psi and the tread is wearing evenly. 30 psi in front has been perfect.

Enjoy the vert.......:)

Same here, @30 PSI it wheel hops when accelerating or coming out of a corner, @28 PSI, it hooks up.

What was really funny, last week I had new tires put on (Firestone runflats), I told them 30psi as the doorjamb indicated. The next day I took it in to have the alignment checked. the first thing I noticed was they were adding air to the tires....????? When they get done with the alignment, the tech comes in and tells me he put 50psi in the tires, because ..."that is what the tires recommend, you'll get more even wear out of them", I said "The tires that I took off were worn more in the middle than the edges, doesn't that indicate over inflation?" "Well, yes. How much air did you run in those?" me, "30". "Well, those were probably different tires." me, "No, the same exact tire brand, model and sizes." "Well. you should run what the tire says on the sidewall." At that point I just said "OK" and left, telling me wife I'll let the air out of them when we get home. That thing rode like a freaking lumber-wagon. I let air down to 28 cold when I got home.

I am sitting here wondering how many sets of tires that fool has at max pressure?

I am sitting here wondering how many sets of tires that fool has at max pressure?

Me too!. If I hadn't stepped out to watch him do the actual alignment, I'd worry about it too. But I talked to him about the specs I wanted and he set them right to where I asked. So I guess he knows about alignments.

I'll bet that 50 psi is the maximum air pressure for the tire, not recommended tire pressure.

You would be right, but I wasn't going to argue with him. You can't win an argument with a fool.:chuckle

You would be right, but I wasn't going to argue with him. You can't win an argument with a fool.:chuckle

No you sure can't. And if your alignment is set correctly, it only means that he did not change any of the settings, luckily for you. Any competent tech or alignment professional knows the correct way to set tire pressures.

Alignment has nothing to do with the tires or their air pressures since you are aligning the wheels and not the tires, but a shop with a tech and that entirely incorrect mentality is a shop to stay away from in the future......

Me too!. If I hadn't stepped out to watch him do the actual alignment, I'd worry about it too. But I talked to him about the specs I wanted and he set them right to where I asked. So I guess he knows about alignments.

Scarey that he didn't know about the sticker on the door. Amazing how quickly a fool or idiot will drag you down to their level. :chuckle

I change my oil until the garage (the floor) gets too cold; then I have it changed. I went on the premise anyone can change oil, check washer fluid and air pressure. Wrong, as they put ~35 in which caused the rear tires to "bounce" when accelerating in first.

Scarey that he didn't know about the sticker on the door. Amazing how quickly a fool or idiot will drag you down to their level. :chuckle

I change my oil until the garage (the floor) gets too cold; then I have it changed. I went on the premise anyone can change oil, check washer fluid and air pressure. Wrong, as they put ~35 in which caused the rear tires to "bounce" when accelerating in first.

Oh, he knew about it. Told me that was for "factory tires that came with the car, and the sidewall said the same thing........" , YEA, ok.

Oh, he knew about it. Told me that was for "factory tires that came with the car, and the sidewall said the same thing........" , YEA, ok.

Ouch! There I no excuse for that kind of stupidity.

It's tech's with attitude like that make us all look bad.........:mad

Last edited:

I'd refer him to this

Maintain Inflation Pressure At The Recommended Level

This level is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and is shown on the vehicle placard or in your vehicle's owner's manual.

Maintaining proper inflation pressure is the single most important thing you can do to promote tire durability and prolong tread life.

Underinflation is the leading cause of tire failure and may result in severe cracking, component separation, or "blowout." It reduces tire load capacity, allows excessive sidewall flexing, and increases rolling resistance, resulting in heat and mechanical damage. Over inflation increases stiffness, which may deteriorate ride, and generate unwanted vibration. Over inflation also increases the chances of impact damage.

Tire Care & Maintenance Guide | Goodyear Tires

However, what could Goodyear possibly know about tires? :chuckle:chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom