Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Tires for '96 LT4

1996 LT4 Topic

bz1mcr

Corvette
1996 coupe red LT4
I just purchased this car from the original owner. It needs rear tires. The fronts are now GoodYear Eagle F1 GS, P 255/45 ZR17's. They have about 1/4 inch of tread left. My guess is that's about 1/2 the original tread. I don't plan to replace them yet.

The old rears are GoodYear Eagle F1 Steel, 285/40 ZR17's, and the wear bars just starting to show.

I'm looking for the best riding general use tire, not the highest performance I can get. I don't intend on any kind of competition, just a normal mix of city and highway driving on typical (ruff)Michigan roads.

Any recommendations on what I should look for?

I hear good things about the BF KDWS... I have Kumho's. Please note before shopping. Your car can take a 275/40/17 tire with no ill effects. The 275 is a much easier tire to find, and generally you can find a much better deal.

Check out the tire rack at www.tirerack.com they have good deals shipped to your door, and a local shop can install them. I have done this a number of times now.

The latest, greatest tires from GoodYear are the new Eagle F1 D3. Corvette Fever and Hib seem to like them a lot. Tirerack should have them in the right sizes.

I would have put them on my '92 but GoodYear was keeping a secret about them until after I bought Pilot Sports. I love the Pilot Sports but they are pricy.

TireRack info 285/40R17 (255's will be less)
Kumho Ecsta $151
GY Eagle F1 D3 $188
Pilot Sport $263
BFG KDW $197

Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s, 275s

Only other tires id think about are Michelin Pilots, and Firestone SZ50s

I am currently running pilot sports. I do not like them. Bought 4 and sent 2 back after measuring excessive runout with hunter 9700 machine. Hard to balance the remaining two on front (opposing weights from side to side on one tire).

I am thinking something in Goodyear next time around.

Tires

I bought Firestone SZ50's a few months ago and can't say enough good about them.
Good luck

I got the Firestone Firehawks SZ50EPs also, they have been great so far (about 1000 miles on them). They were fantastic in the rain, can't wait to try them at the next autox!!:Steer

After a good deal of research, I just purchased 4 Bridgestone Potenza RE730 Generation II tires.

I stayed with the stock sizes front and back, and all 4 tires cost $742.00 delivered to my door. Purchased through TireRack.com

Cannot wait to have them mounted and balanced. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom