Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

To C2 or not to C2

Should I Keep the C4 or buy the C2?

• Keep the C4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy the C2

Votes: 18 100.0%

• Total voters

RichNJshore

Corvette
1993 Torch Red Coupe
I bought my first Vette 2 years ago. It is a 1993 torch red coupe. I have an opportunity to buy a 1964 roadster from a friend. It is in very good shape. It needs a new gas gauge and the paint job is less than perfect(it was repainted metallic blue). The price: $22,000

The question; I have to sell my beloved torch red baby to buy this one. Any opinions on the decision? All comments welcome. Financial and aesthetic. I know that owning a C2 is a different world from a C4. That's why I am asking.
Help me decide...please

This is a total no-brainer. Get the C2. The C2 will continue to go up in value and I doubt that the C4 will ever be collectable. The only drawback is that the C4 can be used as a daily driver and the C2 won't. It really depends on what you want in a Vette, but in my opinion $22k for a nice 64 is a very fair deal and the right thing to do.

I don't know if this will help,but I sold my 02 and bought a 62. I figured I'd like to have a vette that is going up in value. A good investment and tons of fun. These c1's and mid years always draw a crowd. I love to work on it. Very simple and you can actually see the whole engine without tons of plastic in your way. As an added bonus, NO OPTISPARK! My first vette was a 93. The downside is that I can't just hop in it and go on a long trip. I guess I could, though. I'm just afraid of putting a lot of miles on it. No ac, power steering, power brakes, no computer aids, no heads up, etc. For you c5 guys, I still can't find my cupholder. I know that's a ***** to live without!:rotfl :L I am just kidding. If you could just have one vette, take the 64. I guarantee, you won't regret it. The best part is the car shows. You will really stand out from all (thousands) of c4 and c5's. I say go for it.

Rich,

A '64?? Roadster?? A Midyear Corvette?? $22,000??

Nah... Keep your '93 and tell your friend to call me.

;)
Go for it.
Jane Ann

Rich,

As previously mentioned this is a no-brainier, however there are few things to seriously consider before committing. Financially, and fun-wise, you would be miles ahead with the 64, which is under priced in my opinion.

You are however, trying to compare apples to oranges. The 93 is a vehicle which you can enjoy and use everyday, which is not the case, and is not what you should expect with the 64.

It will have needs that are very different from the 93, and normally will not be a daily driver. You might also want to consider your wrenching skills, since any decent , professional garage mechanic can take care of your needs with the 93, but that would not necessarily be the case with the 64.

The reason is because the same mechanic was probably not born when the car was built, and might not have the skills or necessary parts to keep in running properly.

Stepinwolf

It will have needs that are very different from the 93, and normally will not be a daily driver. You might also want to consider your wrenching skills, since any decent , professional garage mechanic can take care of your needs with the 93, but that would not necessarily be the case with the 64.

The reason is because the same mechanic was probably not born when the car was built, and might not have the skills or necessary parts to keep in running properly.

Thanks for the reply. My vette now is not a daily driver. In fact I am dying to get it out of the garage as soon as all this salt and ice go away around here. I have decent wrenching skills with the ability to improve. I enjoy some grease. One of the attractive things about it is the ability to work on it myself. The 93 is a computerized jungle. Also, the seller is a friend who has a mechanic now that competently handles repairs now so I can go there if there is the need.
I know 22k is great deal. Any opinions on what would be normal?

I'm currently unemployed - but if I could get a '64 roadster that only needed paint and a few other things for $22K, I'd buy it immediately.

Rich, Sounds as if you are someone that would enjoy a C-2, enjoying wrenching & grease also helps.. Good luck and keep us informed..

You will enjoy the 64, more than you have the 93.

Every midyear I have owned was bought for and used as a daily driver. Once you have the brakes, driveline and suspension in a good state of repair there is no mechanical reason why you can't use this car as much as you want. There are far fewer things to go wrong with a '60s car and when they do you can fix them at home without a degree in computer sciences.

The reasons I can think of to not drive it daily are the risk of damage or theft and of course winter salt. It will not be as comfortable as your '93 also but the fun factor will off set that.

As for not being able to use it on long trips because of it's age, well that's just bunk. Last summer there was a group of Solid Axle Corvette Club members from the northwest that drove their 1962 and older Corvettes to Chicago where they met up with a larger group of members. Then they all traveled old Route 66 to the west coast together. At that point the midwest/eastern group returned east and the northwest group traveled north back to the Washington state area. If I remember correctly there was only one mechanical breakdown that was easily repaired and the car continued on with the trip. Also consider that most solid axle owners seem to be as old as or older than their cars.

These older cars are very basic in design. If they are in good mechanical condition they are nearly bulletproof and rock solid dependable.

Buy it, maintain it, drive it, enjoy it.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom