Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Torch red paint ?

Corvette
2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !
Why do people love a torch red corvettes so much ? I own a 2003 50th Anniversary 1SC package. it has the special color red paint which to me, ( I really don't care for red paint, so I'm a little biased) but my color of red is acceptable to me. But over the years, and all the corvette shows, I see such low production numbers of other colors like Blue or Silver and of course there's the "Yeah, go ahead and give me a ticket" Millennium yellow. And one of the oddest colors of differnt Greens. But I always see the 'Torch Red' as a huge leap over all the other GM colors. So, Why ? :w

I love your color red. Torch Red is a very striking color, higly polished it looks stunning and is traditionally associated with a fast sports car. C5's (for that matter any corvette) look awesome in Torch Red.

and of course there's the "Yeah, go ahead and give me a ticket" Millennium yellow.
What?

I like the Torch Red, I just didn't want mine to be that color. There are so many that I just wanted something different. I really liked my Arctic White 94 (with torch red interior), that was what I was looking for in a C5, but that color combo is pretty rare. And when I ran across this Magnetic Red, well it was like the name implies, magnetic......:D and different, not as many Mag Red.

Really when a black car is clean nothing looks better but torch red is a close second, but that's why they make different colors because everyone doesn't agree.

Red Paint

I like the Torch Red, I just didn't want mine to be that color. There are so many that I just wanted something different. I really liked my Arctic White 94 (with torch red interior), that was what I was looking for in a C5, but that color combo is pretty rare. And when I ran across this Magnetic Red, well it was like the name implies, magnetic......:D and different, not as many Mag Red.

Well, Magnetic Red is a damn close sister to my Anniversary Red. And since it has that 'Matallic' effect, it to me at least, it isn't the flat solid red as Torch Red is. But that's just me and I don't think I have all that good of taste, Oh sure, I threw out my 'Bel-Bottom' pants long ago, but Torch Red is a little too much for me. :confused

Its ironic, Torch Red is maybe the 3rd favorite color for me. But as I will never buy a new Corvette, Torch Red, usually being the most produced color is also the easiest color to find in absolutely mint condition and the best for resale.

Why is it the most popular? My guess is because most people just want to seen and noticed.

2869785120039559089S500x500Q85.jpg

... and of course there's the "Yeah, go ahead and give me a ticket" Millennium yellow...

That's "Give-a-ticket-to-me-if-you-can-catch-me" Millennium Yellow... ;) And personally, I've always referred to Torch Red (or similar shades of red) as "Arrest Me Red..." :L

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've ever seen a bad color on a Corvette... Well, at least not a factory color...

Even the oddball/rare colors like Majestic Amethyst Metallic and Aztec Gold from 1998 look good to me on the car, as well as the greens (Fairway Green and Bowling Green Metallic) and blues (Bright Blue Metallic, Navy Blue Metallic, and Electron Blue Metallic) that Chevy has offered. One of the nicest C6 colors is Jetstream Blue. And black, white, pewter, gray, and silver are always classics too; almost bought a 1998 convertible in Arctic White about 10 years ago, while Machine Silver is one of the colors I think looks best on the C6 -- right after Atomic Orange...! :thumb

On the C5 convertible, I've always wanted the combination I have: yellow with black top/interior. But Magnetic Red was always very appealing as well.

But to answer your original question, I think that red has just become associated with high-performance vehicles because it's "brightly classy" -- eye-catching without being obnoxious. And let's face it; part of owning a high-performance car is satisfying the desire to be noticed. So, red Corvettes have become ubiquitous...

I also, for years never cared for the color red on any car. Matter of fact I never before my 00 vette,never owned a red car,

My 81 that i sold had the rare beige over bronze Bowling Green first run color combo,so the lower portion of the car was the closest to red that i had ever owned.

I atually was looking at pewter c5s initially, but when i saw the 00 "torch red" c5 that i ended up buying i loved it. At least on this car. Ken

049-1.jpg
051-1.jpg

Red Paint

That's "Give-a-ticket-to-me-if-you-can-catch-me" Millennium Yellow... ;) And personally, I've always referred to Torch Red (or similar shades of red) as "Arrest Me Red..." :L

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've ever seen a bad color on a Corvette... Well, at least not a factory color...

Even the oddball/rare colors like Majestic Amethyst Metallic and Aztec Gold from 1998 look good to me on the car, as well as the greens (Fairway Green and Bowling Green Metallic) and blues (Bright Blue Metallic, Navy Blue Metallic, and Electron Blue Metallic) that Chevy has offered. One of the nicest C6 colors is Jetstream Blue. And black, white, pewter, gray, and silver are always classics too; almost bought a 1998 convertible in Arctic White about 10 years ago, while Machine Silver is one of the colors I think looks best on the C6 -- right after Atomic Orange...! :thumb

On the C5 convertible, I've always wanted the combination I have: yellow with black top/interior. But Magnetic Red was always very appealing as well.

But to answer your original question, I think that red has just become associated with high-performance vehicles because it's "brightly classy" -- eye-catching without being obnoxious. And let's face it; part of owning a high-performance car is satisfying the desire to be noticed. So, red Corvettes have become ubiquitous...

Yeah, once you find a mint C5, your taste in color soon steps aside. But I like the 'Jetstream Blue' But yeah know, some colors and the year of the car have a lot to do with it's acceptance to the perspective buyer. There's a lot of colors on a C6 that I really like. This may sound crazy to some, and my wife would leave me if I came home with it, But Atomic Orange is one of my favorite colors after some blues and a few nutural colors. Considering my wifes state, I might just go get a Atomic Orange just for spite. Life with just me and the cats doesn't sound all that bad.

Just kidding, she got a divorce years ago. Long before I bought the 2003. I've always been a loner anyway. But on a C5, I like the magnetic red and oddly there is the light Pewter and 'Dark bowling Green which when combined with a nice saddle color interior and buckskin top for the convertible models. And as one said above, Black is fantastic when clean and highly polished. :happyanim:

Yeah, once you find a mint C5, your taste in color soon steps aside. But I like the 'Jetstream Blue' But yeah know, some colors and the year of the car have a lot to do with it's acceptance to the perspective buyer. There's a lot of colors on a C6 that I really like. This may sound crazy to some, and my wife would leave me if I came home with it, But Atomic Orange is one of my favorite colors after some blues and a few nutural colors. Considering my wifes state, I might just go get a Atomic Orange just for spite. Life with just me and the cats doesn't sound all that bad.

Just kidding, she got a divorce years ago. Long before I bought the 2003. I've always been a loner anyway. But on a C5, I like the magnetic red and oddly there is the light Pewter and 'Dark bowling Green which when combined with a nice saddle color interior and buckskin top for the convertible models. And as one said above, Black is fantastic when clean and highly polished. :happyanim:

Gotta love that "Atomic Orange":J

As the title of the book says--all Corvettes are red, the others are mistakes!!

As the title of the book says--all Corvettes are red, the others are mistakes!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I got a buddy with a red '66 roadster who tries to tell me the same thing. I ignore him too... ;)

Any color is great on a vette, except for that lime green factory color that was on a run of the c3's in the early 70's !

And I used to love that color, back at the time when I was much younger. :boogie Ken

Red to me...

...is the only color any "sports" car should be! I have always loved bright red - always been my favorite color...plus I always preferred black leather interior and it has gotta be a standard tranny. An automatic in a performance sports car is blasphemy!

Again...just my personal opinion and I respect everyone else's opinion. Thank god we all don't like the same thing or the highways would be pretty boring, don't ya think?

Red, in some version, has been a big seller in Vettes but it is not always the favorite color. In checking the "Corvette Black Book", 'black' has been the favorite color in most C6 years. Same for the late C5 years. Early C5 years, Torch Red was most popular. Of course Anniversary Red was the most popular color in 2003.
You'll find silver scores high also.

Torch Red 'shows' well and catches people's eyes. The only 'red' Vette I've had was AE red on our 2003. The only other red car has been my current CTS V in Crystal Red and it sparkles.

I think color choice is kind of a psychology thing. Red says, look at me I'm hot. Black says, I'm sophisticated. Yellow shouts, I like it, I'm bold and don't care what you think. Green implies, I'm a conservative. Other colors just say I'm not that particular. Then, of course, I am probably all wrong.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom