Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Torque Converter/Stall Question

twamd80driver

Corvette
1976 L-82 4-Speed
O.K. I admit I have a 4 speed, but I want to know what "stall" means in torque converter language, and how you determine what amount of "stall" you need?

Thanks in advance for the lesson!

Stall speed is the RPM that the torque converter starts to transmit power to the transmission. At idle, the torque converter is mostly freewheeling so that you can stop the car, but the faster it rotates it hydraulically links the housing to the output shaft through vanes inside the converter.
For most stock engine applications a low stall speed is OK, but if your engine is built and has a lopey idle and doesn't start to deliver power until a few thousand RPM's, then a higher stall speed torque converter is needed. Or if you want to launch fast at high RPM, then a high speed converter is used.

Chris Gerloff

I just put a 1700 rpm stall converter with a B&M shift kit in my rather lethargic 81 with a stock 350 and a 350c Th. This has been the best bang for the buck as far as performance goes. She no longer feels as if she is dragging an anchor off the line. Amazing what a few hundred rpm's will do when you get the converter closer to the power curve. In 1981 I think GM was more interested in mpg than how fast the cars came off the line. I find it a good trade off, if not I would be driving a Honda .

torque converter rpm

arcticvette said:
Chris Gerloff said:
I just put a 1700 rpm stall converter with a B&M shift kit in my rather lethargic 81 with a stock 350 and a 350c Th.

what rpm was the original at?
Mike

Believe it or not 1200 and I have noticed a difference around town in fuel consumption but its worth it for the increase in pick up.

amazing how a slight tweak can make it feel like a new car. will definitely keep that in mind when I get to my powertrain
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom