Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Torture

tamashane

Corvette
2002 convertible
Well, last Friday night, the wife and I went out to dinner and then to a local mall. All was fine, until we go to leave. Put the key in and get the old "Remove key and wait ten seconds" warning. This had happened about a month ago at the house. I put it on charge over night and it worked fine from then on. So I figure it had to be a battery problem. Plus the horn was getting week when I locked the car. So, I call my brother at 9pm and we go get a battery from Wally World (I know, but this was an emergency). Put it in, crossed fingers turn key and..............@#$%$#$%%%^^^%$$!!!!!!! Same thing. So call a good friend and he comes to get us. Next day, take new battery back and go to Chevy dealer one block away. Tell parts man I need a battery for a 2000 Corvette. He comes back with a small battery and I told him it was the wrong one. I pulled up this web site and showed him a pic of what was recommended by the Column Lock Out video. He brings the correct one and I put it in and pray again.....still no luck. So, I have it towed to a shop and now I get to pick it up in the morning. A week without my Vette has been torture.

It should only take about 30 minutes to diagnosis the issue.

Mr. Sam

What was the problem? We are all very interested in hearing.

All is well now. The column was locked and all factory recalls done. The garage I took it to, did all necessary repairs. No longer have to worry about that. So good to be driving it again.

That is what I was afraid of. Unless you have an automatic and they went into the column to physically disable the actual your problem is NOT solved. NO other factory recalls are a permanent fix. That is well documented.

If you want a PERMANENT fix do this:

I consider the LMC5 to be the best Column Lock problem permanent fix out there. It also does not require you to “undo” any previous CL attempts to resolve this issue. Their eBay ads have a good video that shows the install at the BCM. It does not cover everything in the written instructions. So, read the instructions and also here is some extra info. In some cases, the BCM timing is off just enough to cause some issues. They make several versions and they can swap out/provide one of these if you have any issues. Their customer support is as good as it gets.

Not uncommon for people to "put the column in a pre-lock condition" and not know it and then start with the install. In other words, they started with the column lock “energized’ even if it was not actually locked yet. If not actually locked yet, it will be as soon as you turn the steering wheel after the LMC5 install. It will then remain in the locked condition until you cause the motor to unlock. It will then remain in the unlocked condition since the motor is then unpowered with the circuits disconnected.

Here is one way to prevent that if your column locks and unlocks normally:

If the CL is functioning normally you don't not need the Unlocker, merely turn the ignition ON, pull fuse #23 in the I/P fuse box, turn ignition OFF, turn the steering wheel (left and right) and verify it is unlocked. Next, disconnect the negative battery terminal, re-insert fuse #23 and continue with the install.
Also the 1999 and later C5's have a column lock relay that can be unplugged or else it will be powered and could fail and drain the battery. The LMC5 written guidance provides this info. This relay is above the BCM.

They also have a great install video in their eBay ads you need to watch.

Compliance Parts website: complianceparts.com

Mr. Sam

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom