Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TPI Torque, makes car twist?

nelson84

Corvette
84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black
Is it normal for an 85 vette to twist on the highway after you hit the gas?
I was doing about 65 mph and hit the gas and the car twisted.

Hi Nelson, There is alot of flex/twist with the C4's, was the roof panel off? I notice the flex when I pull in or out of my drive way, but never on the highway...........

Is it normal for an 85 vette to twist on the highway after you hit the gas?
I was doing about 65 mph and hit the gas and the car twisted.

Sounds more like a rear end problem. Sometmes, when the differential's clutches are worn out- the car will feel as though its twisting when in reality it is slipping on one side.

Pull it up on jacks, in neutral, and attempt to turn the rear wheels forward and backward. If you can get a wheel to turn forward or backward (a quarter to half turn or so) loosely before the diferential engages- there's your probem.

I had a C3 that did that. It would slip under intial acceleration and deceleration.

car designer's biggest pita = people...people want to have lots of elbow room, ez get in and out, don't like structural members penetrating their body...plus its gotta be fast(light weight)...soooo, it ends up with a powerful engine in a steel cage with minimal elements all in the least obtrusive, and unfortunately least functional, places.

of course these problems apply to all designs, and every design group must decide how much rigidity is required...EVERY car flexes to some degree.

yeah, c4's flex.

Also check to make sure you don't have a broken motor mount. That will sure make it feel like the car is about to twist in half.

'Course, your TPI unit might crack to hood if that was the case.

It is just a slight twist, I was watching the corner of the hood above the wheel on the drivers side and it lifts a bit, I think it is cool.

Grab a rear wheel and pull it side to side like you are 'steering' it. if it moves ANY amount, you have worn bushings and/or wheel bearings. The car should accelerate straight and true on level ground when you tromp on the gas-wheelspin notwithstanding:). Antother clue is if it tramlines on rutted/uneven roads. The car should feel steady and stable, if not I suggest MOOG suspension products.

I have the 89 vert and I have a little cowl shake when driving rough roads with the top down. But no twist that I can detect when I really get on it.

I know the convertibles have a cross brace but I would not think that you should be able to detect any twist in acar while driving. I would look at the chassis closely to see if something is broken.

Regards and good luck!

Radar :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom