Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TPIS Catback.....

vetteboy86

Corvette
1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
Has anyone used TPIS headers, y-pipe, and catback system. I am thinking about what cat back system to order when I order my headers and was curious if anyone has this setup??

Nobody out there with a catback from TPIS?????

I didn't even know they made a catback. But their headers are generally well liked by those who use them. Plug access is said to be very good. It's one of the few quality headers for C4s that I don't have first hand experience with though. I would expect their cat-back to be of good quality and well fitted.

It's actually a modified Flowmaster system with bigger inlets, I think they bumped it up to a 3" inlet. I forgot about the outlets, though.

It is a very loud system!:D

Forgot to mention the quality of the system. It's normal Flowmaster quality. You'll probably end up dropping the mufflers and painting them a year after you put them on, they're not stainless. They're aluminum, I believe. The tips aren't even stainless.

Yeah I am not to hot about the looks of the system. The aesthetics of the Borla, or the Magnaflow is alot better, but will the effect performance the same. I basically need something to go behind the headers.

There might be a few HP difference between the systems but I don't think it's any difference big enough to where you'd notice. Would it show up on paper? Probably but that doesn't mean you'd be able to feel a few HP difference when you've already got so much already.

If you can, try to find a used set. Sometimes guys get rid of exhaust systems like that because they're just too loud.

I believe the Flowmasters and Magnaflow are very close in price.

I've got the total TPIS system on my 89. It's loud. It's black but you can keep it up with Hi Temp paint. The biggest down fall becides the noise is the position where the mufflers slide onto the rear Y allows for a lot of movement that the supplied band clamps can't handle well. Drive around over rough roads and your nicely aligned tips aren't aligned anymore. I ended up adding an extra hanger to the rear Y pipe off the C beam and I put 6 stainless screws on each of the muffler to rear Y pipe joint after I had the alignment good and then I used a regular clemp in place of the band clamps. Been perfect for the past year and about 4,000 miles. I would go with another system knowing what I know, but this one will handle a lot of power and it's on mine til it's ready to scrap.

Phil

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom