Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: TPMS sensor compatibility with aftermarket wheels?

nowhereman

Corvette
1998 Torch Red M6
I've seen several ads for aftermarket wheels that state "compatible with factory sensors", but my car came with aftermarket wheels, I don't know what brand they are.

I've searched a bit online and found wheels that look like mine- but may not be identical - and the website does not mention sensor compatibility.

What would make a wheel incompatible with factory sensors? How likely am I to run into this problem?

(I just bought a 1998 coupe, I currently have no sensors and no key fobs. I'm ready to buy the later style sensors/fobs/receiver but am slightly scared the sensors won't work with the wheels.)

The compatibility issue is a mechanical fit only. If they can be installed without air leakage, they will work. I had Fikse wheels put on my C5 and the sensors fit perfectly. There was no issue with the operation of the sensors. So, if they fit, they work. Good luck.

The compatibility issue is a mechanical fit only. If they can be installed without air leakage, they will work. I had Fikse wheels put on my C5 and the sensors fit perfectly. There was no issue with the operation of the sensors. So, if they fit, they work. Good luck.

Mechanical fitment aside, you will need to use the pressure sensors that came with your Vette. The later ones will fit the rims but will not work with the older electronics.

Mechanical fitment aside, you will need to use the pressure sensors that came with your Vette. The later ones will fit the rims but will not work with the older electronics.

Concur. The tire pressure sensors are different between the early-model-year (1997-2000; GM P/N 25981210) and late-model-year C5's (2001-2004; GM P/N 25773946); you need the former.

Same goes with the key fobs. The early models (including the '98) used a fob that has a passive locking/unlocking feature. The newer C5 fobs, I believe, are incompatible with the older C5's. Sorry, but I don't have any part numbers on the fobs... Easy way to identify the earlier fobs is that they're a bit 'fatter' and have a 'slider-bar' switch to activate/deactivate the passive locking/unlocking feature of the fob.

Thanks fellas. Sounds like it's just a mechanical fit/seal thing. I am prepared to buy the later model C5 receiver and remote fobs to match the later model C5 sensors.

... I am prepared to buy the later model C5 receiver and remote fobs to match the later model C5 sensors.

I would research whether this is even possible before dropping the cash on the parts. Not saying that it isn't; just that I've not heard of anyone doing it... Seems to me you can find the older key fobs on sites like eBay, and I'm almost certain the older tire pressure sensors are readily available... And probably for less money than replacing the receiver...

Tire Rack has new TPMS sensors for your car !!!!

315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor
$272.00 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $272.00

I would research whether this is even possible before dropping the cash on the parts. Not saying that it isn't; just that I've not heard of anyone doing it... Seems to me you can find the older key fobs on sites like eBay, and I'm almost certain the older tire pressure sensors are readily available... And probably for less money than replacing the receiver...

Because the earlier sensors are significantly pricier than the later ones, I've read in more than one thread about folks who have upgraded their early C5 to later C5 fobs, sensors and receiver. There are package deals available for the conversion from gmpartsdirect.

Wrecker88: I fear buying aftermarket 1998 sensors- what if they don't work with my receiver? Heck, for that matter, what if my receiver is broken? I'd hate to buy 1998 style sensors and then find out I needed to replace the receiver too. Because I wouldn't buy a 1998 receiver, I would upgrade to the later style.

Hey, as a general aside on this topic: can the tire pressure monitor sensors be replaced without removing the tires from the rims? Those in my '04 have been slowly (one-by-one) giving up the 'ghost.' I'd initially thought I'd just wait to replace them until I got new tires, but that's probably going to be years down the road (given the rate I'm putting miles on them), so I wondered whether it's possible to put new ones in without pulling the tires from the rims?

Easy done, I made my own "tool" by drilling a hole in the top of two metal valve caps then thread them opposed on to a 10" piece of Weedeater cord and heated the ends to make a ball large enough to keep the caps on. After it cools screw one cap on an old valve stem for a handle and the other onto your TPS. Remove the nut and seal to let the sensor drop into the tire. Break the bead at the hole for your sensor and hook the cord and retrieve your sensor and replace it with the new one. Pull it into the rim and run the nut up on the new seal and inflate your tire. There is an actual tool out there if you don't want to make your own. I've change 24 of them that way so far for myself going from the '98 to '04 and for other club members.

Here is the one I've seen, but I always hate to pay more to ship something that cost less than the shipping.

http://patchboy.com/mm5/merchant.mv...ode=P&Product_Code=17-605&Category_Code=21-24

Easy done, I made my own "tool" by drilling a hole in the top of two metal valve caps then thread them opposed on to a 10" piece of Weedeater cord and heated the ends to make a ball large enough to keep the caps on. After it cools screw one cap on an old valve stem for a handle and the other onto your TPS. Remove the nut and seal to let the sensor drop into the tire. Break the bead at the hole for your sensor and hook the cord and retrieve your sensor and replace it with the new one. Pull it into the rim and run the nut up on the new seal and inflate your tire. There is an actual tool out there if you don't want to make your own. I've change 24 of them that way so far for myself going from the '98 to '04 and for other club members.

Here is the one I've seen, but I always hate to pay more to ship something that cost less than the shipping.

patchboy: Valve Fishing Tool, Cable Type

Thanks! I'll look into that approach!

Slightly old thread, but how are you breaking the bead?

I may try this, but don't want to damage anything.

......... Break the bead at the hole .......................

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom