Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Traction

59-62USNVET

Corvette
Had:76,87TT,90TT,03 ZO6, Have 06 ZO6
About 55 degrees yesterday and I decided to try the different traction and non skid and competition modes on dry straight road. For the life of me, I couldn't get decent acceleration even without full throttle. I haven't drag raced in a long time. Then it was with a 56 Chevy with auto and a blown engine bought for $65 and put thousands into it to get it with a 302,4 speed, and a 6:17 positraction rear and raced it as C Modified Production. I was getting into the low 12's @120MPH. I ran the rear tires @ about 6-7 Lbs. So traction at accelerating was no problem. I would rev it to about 3500 and dump the clutch and my right foot was always to the floor. I never rode the clutch and I don't believe that would help my C6 Z06. So what's the secret to getting good traction? I am using stock tires at about 27lbs. What traction settings do I use? What else to keep the tires from just spinning without gripping?
JUST AN OLD GUY TRYING TO RECAPTURE A LITTLE OF HIS YOUTH.
59-62USNVET

Same situation

I raced off and on for over 20 yrs..

The new Z is taking me back a while on how best to launch. I have been toying with an idea that worked on a big block car I had many years ago.

The car 1500 rpm and then very quickly, when the lights came down both floor the car at the same rate as I released the clutch, not sidestep it (think in terms of a small amount of clutch slippage, eg. 1/2 flywheel revolution). It didn't shock load the rearend hard enough to blow the tires off and it didn't bog the engine. It was good for heavy hi hp cars on greasey tracks. I think it will work well on the LS7 where it is very easy to over power the tires.

I'm just guessing but when I have the time I'm going to experiment with this. I would not try this at all with a LS6 car because you don't have the bottom end torque.

Let me know if this helps and I'll do a followup post after some expermentation.

Regards and Warp 10 Always!

Warp 10:
Thanks for the help. I'll try it. But what about the settings on the traction control button?
59-62USNVET

Warp 10:
Thanks for the help. I'll try it. But what about the settings on the traction control button?
59-62USNVET

Have you tried setting it, traction control to competion mode, Hold down traction control button for, I believe it is about 5 seconds, should show on DIC display. I am thinking 1800 RPM would be a bit better for launching.

Pseudomind:
I'll give it a try, Thanks
59-62USNVET

I would say that the tires are going to be a limiting factor. I can break the tires loose on my 2002 Z06 when rolling down the road in second gear. An application of the throttle (to the floor) will result in loss of traction at about 4000 RPM. I am not talking about dropping the clutch or mashing the gas pedal. It is just a case of overpowering the tires. I can also do it in 3rd if the road and tires are cold. I could put stickier tires on the car, which is something that I did when I used to drag race. But it would come at the expense of decreased tire life.

Your car has more torque and more horsepower than mine, so I am not at all surprised that you have limited traction.

Smokin Da Hides!

Guys,

I failed to mention that I'm 61, a Vet and a life long adrenaline junkie and it ain't getting any better with age. Besides Vettes are a lot more fun than getting shot at!

Vader is right on bout his C5 Z. Mine had a roll on traction problem(s) also. I put BFG KDs on and that helped a bunch with traction. There are several sticky tires out there, but pay attention to the rest of your drive train, something else will go, a little tire spin is a good thing. Ask GM!

Then you do something ridiculous like adding more power and start scratching your head trying to figure how to keep the rear wheels planted. It's a never ending struggle to spend those $'s looking for more better faster!

On the C6 Z, I yanked the GY Run Flats off and put Michelin PS2's all around. I went with 345/30/10 out back and 295/35/18 front. Much ,Much of an improvement over the GY's. Also I failed to mention that I have tuned in maybe 50 to 80 additional HP. That’s another story.

I was able to substantially boost low end torque. I still would have to say the car has no mods other than tuning on what I got. Out though the mountains in Comp Mode, on a “Mission”, I broke my rear-end in a hard full power drift turn at maybe 125 in 3rd gear. I got a loud Bam and that was it. I never would have believed that the rear-end would give up just with torque without shock loading it.

Ask me if I will think twice about side stepping the clutch with the PS2s out back. The gear set is larger than the C5 Z, I think the ring is 9.5 " and I thought bulletproof.

Maybe point of origin was made in the PRC or maybe Pakistan. Hey I'm on a roll! Remember Springsteen's "Born in the USA", well how about "Made in the PRC"? Instead of dissolving children’s toy beads for fun, maybe smoking "Made in China" rear-end lube? :chuckle

Hey, I've got to make this someone else’s problem, Right!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom