Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trailing arm bushing replacement question

L48

I have installed a new set of polyurethane bushings in the trailing arms for my 75, but the bolt will not fit through the sleeve. The sleeve is a little too small. The bolt appears stock, and fits the frame right.

This is part 582020 from Corvette Central. I talked with product support and they said I need to drill it (or order their stainless bolt, which does fit).

Anyone else have this problem?

I never use poly for that but have had some steel sleeves tight. I just ran a drill in the sleeve to clean it up. You don't need a ss bolt just a gr 8 steel bolt and use plenty of anti seize when you install it.

Well, you may have to do what they say. When I purchased my Poly bushings, they came with the correct bolts.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for the replies.

Turns out I did not need to drill it out after all. I went to remove the sleeve to drill it out, and decided to use the bolt to push it out. When I hit the bolt with the rubber mallet, it went right in to the sleeve.

Looking closely at the bolt, there was a small bulge just above the threads that was catching. So I filed it off with a fine flat file, cleaned the rest of the bolt on the wire wheel, and now it goes in easily.

The bulge did not appear to be wear related, just something to do with the manufacturing process.

I'm fairly certain these are the original bolts, they have the letters "S", "B" and "C" on the head along with the lines that denote grade.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom