Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TRANNY COOLER

• Thread starter thirdtimevetteowner
  • Start date
T

thirdtimevetteowner

I am going to be buying a tranny cooler soon, but cannot decide on what size. Would it be better to go with a larger, 3/4'' thick one, or a smaller, 1 1/2" thickone? It seems to me that an inch and a half may inhibit airflow to the upper portion of the radiator, as well as to the air filter. However a larger but thinner, 3/4" thick one will cover that much more area, thus reducing the amount of flow through the radiator. It is already inhibited by the AC condenser. Any thoughts on this? I know all about stacked plate models, such as B & M's, and how they are less apt to damage, but my condenser has nary a bent fin, so I don't think that enters the picture here. And since they are an inch and a half thick, it brings me back to the original question. Any help surely appreciated.

Rich K

Uh, thanks for all the replies, ppl. Guess I'll have to wing it.

Rich K

I am going to be buying a tranny cooler soon, but cannot decide on what size. Would it be better to go with a larger, 3/4'' thick one, or a smaller, 1 1/2" thickone? It seems to me that an inch and a half may inhibit airflow to the upper portion of the radiator, as well as to the air filter. However a larger but thinner, 3/4" thick one will cover that much more area, thus reducing the amount of flow through the radiator. It is already inhibited by the AC condenser. Any thoughts on this? I know all about stacked plate models, such as B & M's, and how they are less apt to damage, but my condenser has nary a bent fin, so I don't think that enters the picture here. And since they are an inch and a half thick, it brings me back to the original question. Any help surely appreciated.

Rich K

Hey Rich.....I like your logic here. Wish I knew more about it to be able to give you some insight. Does the 89 have a tranny cooler? Just curious.

Hey Rich.....I like your logic here. Wish I knew more about it to be able to give you some insight. Does the 89 have a tranny cooler? Just curious.

It does. I was wondering why an additional cooler was needed unless the owner plans on doing some towing.

I haven't had a problem with transmission overheating under normal operating conditions with my '87.

At least I don't think I have. LOL

It is a good idea to do if you like to drive these cars the way they were supposed to. Hot temps in a tranny will destroy it. My friend installed on on his Trans Am, it was a B&M racing cooler. I really wish I would just get it done and install one on my car, but I am not sure where to mount it though...

Thanks to all who replied. I am going to install a much higher torque converter in the future, so I'll definitely nead a cooler. I have a B & M stacked plate type on my 70 Nova, but the airflow to it isn't anything like a Corvette, plus it doesn't have AC. So, I am still in a quandary as to which one to buy. Anymore help on this would be much appreciated.

Rich K

P.S. It naturally has the in rad cooler, but I feel those are inadequate for what I have planned.

Is there any rule which says an aux. transmission cooler must be located in front of the radiator?

Would it be possible, since it would appear that you're doing some serious mods (which will increase the work of the radiator also), to locate the cooler at the rear of the car and feed it with an electric fan?

Just thinkin outside of the box a little......

Thanks for your input Jeb. Actually jeg's has one that mounts to a frame rail, or whereever you can find a spot to put it. It is sort of round, and longish, not like the traditional ones. I am considering that, but don't know if it would be enough to cool a tranny w/ a 2800-3000 stall converter. There surely has to be someone on here w/a high stall converter who has addressed the issue of making sure their tranny doesn't bite the dust because of heat.

I am considering dumping the AC. That condenser has to impede the flow to the rad a lot. Mine doesn't work anyway (has the Electronic Climate Control, and I haven't trouble shot it yet, nor do I want to). I just bought a DeWitt two row alum rad, so at least the engine should run cooler. Gotta figure out something soon.

Rich K

I know Mad-Mic has installed one on his 87, but he is still running the stock stall converter to the best of my knowledge. Couldn't you just cut the lines and use the AC condensor itself? I don't know just a thought. You could always use the one that is mounted underneath the car, and keep the one built into the radiator to.

What I'm going to do is install one more steering fluid cooler to tranny cooling lines. Of course would wash out old PS fluid with transmission fluid before installation. Would install in front of existing steering fluid cooler - 1.5-2.5 inches apart of it. Would post later on how that works...

Tranny Cooler

Grumpyvette,
Sounds like a great idea, and should get the work done. All I will need then is the sandwich gizmo for the oil cooler. Thanks to all.

Rich K

BTW your local hydrolic hose supply house can make good high pressure (MINIMUM 200 PSI hot oil (300 degrees F rated) braided hoses with screw ends if you measure carefully.
route it inside the frame rails and away from the exhaust and drive train, up away from the potential for speed bumps and crap hitting the lines

engine oil needs to reach and stay at about 215F-240f
trans fluid I try to keep under 160F,surely below 180F ,Ideally I try to keep coolant in the engine in the 190F-200F range but don,t get overly worried below 230F.I run a 190F t-stat
you can install AUTO temp control switchs and GAUGES (ideal) or manual switchs and GAUGES (FAR FROM IDEAL), your correct that the engine fluids take slightly longer to reach ideal temps, but then they rarely change after getting into the ideal ranges after you set up the system correctly
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-890015
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=PRF-30103
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=PRF-30110
these allow the fluids to circulate but the fan won,t run untill the temp reachs a set limit

keep in mind the hot engine oil running over the blocks surfaces and trans fluid running thru the lower radiator add a good deal of heat to the coolant in the radiator and removing heat elseware from both reduces the radiators heat load, generally stabilizing the engine temp swings

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom