Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trans slips out of park

kridgley

Corvette
1975 Corvette, White T-Top
Hello all,

Bit of a problem ... When i shift my trans into park, I feel the car slowly roll forward like all automatic cars, except instead of stopping it clicks and keeps rolling.

From my understanding, there is a parking gear, or paw that engages to keep the car still? What are the chances this is worn?

Could the gear selector not fully be in park? ideas?

yes, it also rolls backwards

any idea how hard this gear is to get to? or whats involved in fixing it? Can it be fixed by dropping the pan? ... oh yea - its a th-400 if its different than the th-350 in this regards.

Im doing a crate motor swap hopefully soon so I guess if its a costly repair I can live with using the parking brake and park on level ground.

There's an aftermarket reference book covering everything you always wanted to know about TH400s. It will show you the rebuild process and the parking pawl. Same type of book is availabe for the 350s.

:)

Drop the pan- from the selector shaft there is a rod that goes to the rear of the trans. There is a bracket that guides it along the parking pawl- look at the bracket, make sure the bolts are tight, and you can see the park gear and the pawl to look for damage no either one. It may be possible to change the pawl in the car, but it'd be a big time PITA. If the rod is bent/damaged, it can be changed in the car. And you can also make sure it's adjusted correctly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom