Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Transmission coolers ?

Corvette
2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !
I know this is a strange question, but does my stock 2003 LS1 have a remote oil cooler & or does it have a external Transmission cooler ? Thank you ! :w

Neither.

That thing behind and below the cooling fans and ahead of the front crossmember is a power steering cooler.

I know this is a strange question, but does my stock 2003 LS1 have a remote oil cooler & or does it have a external Transmission cooler ? Thank you ! :w

If it is a stock OEM automatic transmission vehicle, then the ATF fluid cooler is part of the radiator, and is both remote and external of the transmisson. Stock OEM does not have an external or remote cooler from the radiator ATF fluid cooler itself. Hope this helps. :)

Hib Halverson said:
Neither.

That thing behind and below the cooling fans and ahead of the front crossmember is a power steering cooler.
Correct… though I added a small Setrab cooler in that spot when my built 4L65-E transmission was installed.

Transmission external cooler ?

Neither.

Hay Hib,
Dooes it make any sense to install a Hayden transmission cooler to the area in front of the radiator ? Or is that just a waste of time and effort ? Thank You ! :w

Hay Hib,
Dooes it make any sense to install a Hayden transmission cooler to the area in front of the radiator ? Or is that just a waste of time and effort ? Thank You ! :w

Can't answer without a little more info:

1) What is your sustained trans temp most of the time? If you don't know what your trans temp runs, what color is the fluid when you check it?
2) What kind of fliud do you use?
3) Do you do track day events with the car?
4) Why do you think you need an aux. trans cooler?

HI there,

Also, lets be clear that the FLUID you use will change your requirements for cooling as well.

If you have not changed from the older Dexron 3 that your transmission was originally equipped with, then your possible need for a cooler will be different from using new formulation Dexron 6.

Remember, oxidation and thermal stress is the largest killer of transmission fluid. 40% of the internal heat is carried away from an automatic transmission by the fluid. It also lubricates and CLEANS your internals of your transmisson.

Dexron 6 will not start to oxidize until over 300 degrees F.

If your transmission ever got over 280, you would receive a "transmission over temp' warning.

Even tracked cars with 4L65 only get to 230 if the cooling system is working correctly.

I would not worry, nor would I recommend an aftermarket cooler unless your temperature gets above 250.

Allthebest, Paul

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom