Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Transparent roof panel separating from frame.

LT4man

Corvette
96 Collectors Edition LT4
I have been hearing a wind noise from the passenger window. I checked the tightness of the glass against the weatherstripping with a piece of paper. No leaks there.

While driving the other day, I put my finger under the roof panel and pushed up. The panel pushed up! Appears the glue is letting go.

My question is this:

Has anyone here claimed this as a Comprehensive (Glass, theft, fire) claim with their insurance carrier?

Seems to me if the panel separates completely and flies off my Vette, a lot of damage might occur including someone getting hurt.

I do not want to approach my carrier until I have some information about this situation.

SAVE THE :w

I have been hearing a wind noise from the passenger window. I checked the tightness of the glass against the weatherstripping with a piece of paper. No leaks there.

While driving the other day, I put my finger under the roof panel and pushed up. The panel pushed up! Appears the glue is letting go.

My question is this:

Has anyone here claimed this as a Comprehensive (Glass, theft, fire) claim with their insurance carrier?

Seems to me if the panel separates completely and flies off my Vette, a lot of damage might occur including someone getting hurt.

I do not want to approach my carrier until I have some information about this situation.

I wouldn't do that,I'd fix it!!!! It will be cheaper and better in the Long Run!!! Insurance is not going to pay for a Defective panel!!! They will pay for the Damage that the Panel causes,but not the panel!!! And who wants to try to match the Silver on your 11 year old vette!!!! It can be done,but why?? Silver is a B*tch to get the Metallic right anyway!!!!! Repair the Top,you can do it yourself for less than $20.00!!! Needed : 1 tube of 3M Quick set Urethane Windshield Sealant Adhesive and a couple hr's!!! I repair them all the time if the lens is not cracked!! :upthumbs Gregory, Call me if you need help!!!!Toll Free....1-877-677-2984 ext. 1

I forgot to tell you,Use rubber gloves!!!!! If you get that Black Crap all over you you'll have to ware it Off!!!!!;LOL :rotfl :rotfl :boogie :boogie :boogie :upthumbs

Loose Roof Panel

What a coincidence, my car is also a 1996 CE coupe mint condition with low miles, heard a wind noise in the car at the weekend and found that the front of the roof panel was coming away from the roof frame.
I spent 25 years in the windshield replacement business so I know how to fix it, the biggest problem was attempting to carefully cut out the rest of the panel where the urethane was still well stuck, that plastic is very thin and I was concerned that it would crack, after an hour with a long knife blade and patience it came out, now going to rebond it.
I do not usually have this roof panel on the car as I have found it is really unstable with it in place, the solid panel is great, but you cannot see those police helicoptors checking your speed whilst driving in the UK as you can't see thru it.
Perhaps this is a common fault with these panels coming loose due to the strain of it attempting to strenghten the car.
Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

Jesse, Thanks for the tips and the procedure. I am going to tackle this next week. I will let you know how it goes.

Sebringsilver, I am only going to glue the part that is coming apart. Only about 6 inches above the passenger window. I figure I should be "good to go" with that type of repair.

I had same issue on 84. I took the top to the local autoglass place and for $20 the fixed it right up. Good as (Almost) new!

Roof panel question

I recently bought a '93 coupe. Sitting inside looking up at the panel I noticed part of the rubber gasket that goes around the inside of the panel was coming off the edge. With some work I can slip the gasket over the edge but it comes off again. Is this supposed to be glued to the edge? If so, what do I use? Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about the solid (painted body color) roof panel OR the transparent roof panel?

I am trying to picture what you are referring to. I do not have any type of gasket on my roof panel.

I will take a look at mine in the morning. Perhaps I will see what you see. Might be too late on a Saturday nite for my brain to function properly. :D

My 96 does NOT have the gasket around the inside of the frame. My 92 probably had it. I do not remember if my 94 had it. I do remember putting it back in place almost daily! :)

Junk!

Just wanted to let you know that I glued my top over the weekend. What great advice that you gave me! The job actually turned out BETTER than I had expected!

Junk!

Just wanted to let you know that I glued my top over the weekend. What great advice that you gave me! The job actually turned out BETTER than I had expected!

:upthumbs Glad to have Helped!!:upthumbs

I just had my transparent top done at a glass shop last week. It was pulling apart in many different places and I thought it was going to play ejection canopy with me. They did charge me $65.00, but it looks very professional and tight all the way around now. I can't get it to budge. I have not put it back on the car yet, but I will this weekend to check for wind noise. It is finally nice here in Indiana and I hope to leave it off more often.
Going to the Kruse Auction in Auburn the end of May...maybe I can find another toy!!!
JOHN

That was a great price! My friend and I probably spent close to two hours just doing the one side (passenger). You have to be patient with this type of job. And Junk was not kidding about wearing gloves.....I was surprised at how black mine were and it was my buddy who was using the urethane! I changed gloves three times while working on it.

One bit of advice: before reinstalling your top, treat your weatherstrips with some sort of synthetic lube. Makes putting the top on MUCH easier.

Thanks and good luck with yours...
Have a long sunny weekend!!!
JOHN

If you're trying to seal an acrylic top, that black windshield sealant probably isn't the neatest stuff to use. I glued my acrylic top back to the frame with Permatex "Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer", stock number 65AR. It's clear, so it's much better to use on a acrylic top. The low viscosity lets it flow into tight places, and it bonds to the acrylic very well!

After working the sealer into the loose spots (with the top off the car), I set the top back onto the car and placed weights on it to hold the joint tight until the sealant cured.

That "gasket" is probably just a rubber trim around the edge of the top frame. Mine doesn't touch the acrylic top, but it does look much better when it fits right. I used the same stuff to glue this trim in place, and it worked just fine.

:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom