Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tremec TKO 600 vs. Keisler RS 600

66vette

Corvette
1966 Coupe, 2004 Convertible
I am ready to order either the Tremec TKO 600 or the Keisler RS 600. The problem I have is deciding between the two. Tremec is available for immediate shipment but approximately $400 more, Keisler has an approximate waiting period of 6 months before shipment. I will be putting up my car for the winter in the next month so the 6 month wait is not a problem as long as it ships at that time or before. Is the Keisler a better transmission and worth the wait, is it also an easier install than the Tremec? Of those of you that have driven both which one do you recommend?

The RS 600 is a brand new design trans from Keisler that is just now starting to ship to guys that have ordered close to a year ago. Production has been held up by outside vendors not being able to supply them with gear sets, they are suposed to have that problem solved now. But I wouldn't count on a 6 month ship date, thats what they told everybody a year ago and I know they have a long order list. The RS600 is suposed to be a great trans with alot of improvements, like synchronized reverse, smooth shifting like a Muncie and the case fits in the trans tunnel better than a TKO. Not trying to talk you out of the RS, but I would be leery of only a 6 month wait, and it is a brand new design with the jury still out on real world testing as they are just now comming out. I may get one myself when the availability gets better and we see how they hold up. I have 2 TKO's and there are down sides to them. The case is a tight fit in the tunnel and some floor pans have to be cut, and there is an inherit shift problem from 2nd to 3rd at high RPM. I think Tremec came up with a fix in the shift rods but I think there are still some problems there because I hear the best fix is to install carbon fiber synchronizers. Thats what I'm thinking about doing to my 2 TKO's.
Hope this helps with your decision.

Jim

I have listened to all of you and have gone to various GM car sites to gather as much information as possible before I made my decision yesterday. Every site I went to mentioned the difficulty of installing the TKO due to tunnel clearance, plus the 2nd and 3rd shifts. I ordered a Keisler RS 600 yesterday based on this input and information. I hope the wait is worth it and look forward to receiving the RS 600 Transmission kit as soon as it is available.
I thank all of you for your input.

I had some tunnel clearance problems with the Tremec TKO 500 but I solved them by making two 1 inch blocks of treated pine. Painted them flat black and gently raised the floor board near the crossmember and inserted them. You can hardly tell they are there when looking from under the car. If the new Corvettes can have balsa wood floor boards, I guess a little pine is OK for the '66.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom