Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tripower carbs

Kid_Again

Corvette
65 SB Roadster, 66 BB Coupe
Well, Operation BLOW (centrifugal supercharger on the sb) is in the final stages of planning/acquiring parts. In other words, me and VNV are running out of gin and it's time to start wrenching.

Project SUCK is now in the starting blocks and that's much milder - putting the tripower on the bb. I know, JohnZ, I know, I'm prey to Marketing Hype.

Anyway, I'd like advice about the #2300 Holley carbs. I have a set of correct '68 carbs where two of the three leak at the junction between the base plate and the carb body. I rebuilt these carbs myself and took considerable care to do it correctly but I still wound up with the problem.

So, here's my question. Should I send the originals back to Holley for resto or should I buy a new set of 2300's?

I could go a number of ways with the new versions. I could buy the current street version of the 2300's which are pretty cheap and all I have to do is disassemble each one, cut the back half of the air cleaner base off, mill the choke horns (which is what VNV should have done, BUT I DIGRESS) and build my own manual sequential linkage or adapt the BG setup to fit. I already have the factory fuel line setup. I can do all the work myself and I have all winter anyway. The setup will then fit under the factory tripower air cleaner base and I will have a 350cfm center carb and two 500cfm end carbs functioning as mechanical secondaries. The only problem would be my gas mileage will suffer but what the heck. Since the end carbs have 50cc pumps, I will have to pay attention to how rich this setup runs and make adjustments on the pump mechanisms.

Alternatively, Holley now makes new vacuum secondary end carbs available and the only way that I can see to buy them is to get the Mopar setup which puts the fuel lines on the other side, which is helpful. The only real problem that I can see with that is that I am paying for a correct Mopar setup when that has no value to me and those carbs ARE EXPENSIVE. Does Holley sell new Chevy 2300's with the vacuum secondaries?

Decisions, decisions. How much do you think the Holley Custom Shop will charge me to refurb the existing carbs? Anybody else trustworthy that you would recommend for me to contact?

Any thoughts?

And finally, in my never ending quest to drive the Moderators nuts, I want to thank VNV for spec'ing out a relay system for my HVAC system in the house. Seems as though the humidifer was wired to run all the time and I needed a 120v x 24v relay to drive the humidifier only when the heater was on. VNV to the rescue. Works perfectly. In an attempt to not get kicked to the "Lounge" AGAIN, I hereby declare that I will also wire the humidifer in the '66 in exactly the same manner so the house HVAC was actually a pilot for the midyear. So, my home HVAC now becomes a pilot car, sort of.

No, I'm not sticking with the 4bbl carb.

Nice post...
I have your the number 2 relay here at home.......:beer

Nice post...
I have your the number 2 relay here at home.......:beer

U DA MAN!!!

We should be there this weekend but ONCE AGAIN, we're doing the Real Estate thing. I'll call 'ya.

I'd send the existing carbs to Holley or to Craig Woodruff; the bottom of the main bodies probably need to be milled flat, like all old Holleys do eventually. Dunno why you'd need 1350CFM and 50cc accelerator pumps on the end carbs (the "new carb" alternative you mentioned); the stock 1050CFM tri-power setup works great on the "King Ray" 572, and it'll flatten your eyeballs when you get on it. :D

Kid,
I also will recommend Craig Woodruf, he lives in Ohio and he totally rebuilt my tripowers last winter. Personally I was very satisfied w/ his work,and he even was available for follow up questions I had w/ linkage problems. He also milled the base plates as JohnZ suggested.
If your interested in Craig, let me know, I"ve got his #..
Oh. by the way, I would"nt ask Barry what he thinks of this rebuilder..
Good luck..I love my tripower.. Jim

I'd send the existing carbs to Holley or to Craig Woodruff; the bottom of the main bodies probably need to be milled flat, like all old Holleys do eventually. Dunno why you'd need 1350CFM and 50cc accelerator pumps on the end carbs (the "new carb" alternative you mentioned); the stock 1050CFM tri-power setup works great on the "King Ray" 572, and it'll flatten your eyeballs when you get on it. :D

John,

Would you tell me what type of exhaust headers you are using on the " King-Ray ". I purchased a set ( along with Rich Lagasse ) headers from " Sanderson " that were supposedly made for the 502/572, but I have since heard from others that they just don't fit on our Corvettes.

regards
Stepinwolf

OK, read the posts.

JohnZ, thanks for the recommendation. No need to overcarb the engine.

jims427400...please send me mail with the phone number.

thanks for the advice!

John,

Would you tell me what type of exhaust headers you are using on the " King-Ray ". I purchased a set ( along with Rich Lagasse ) headers from " Sanderson " that were supposedly made for the 502/572, but I have since heard from others that they just don't fit on our Corvettes.

regards
Stepinwolf

Heh Bob,
The KingRay was at Carlisle 2006 this year. Don't know if John Z had any input on that project. I have some other pic's I could email you if you'd like.

Heh Bob,
The KingRay was at Carlisle 2006 this year. Don't know if John Z had any input on that project. I have some other pic's I could email you if you'd like.

Mark, e-mail is good, make it robert.pelland@cgocable.ca

As for his input, if memory serves me correctly, I seem to remember hearing that he was part of the build, some time ago !

Stepinwolf

John,

regards
Stepinwolf

Bob, Stainless Works custom-made the headers for "King Ray"; 502 headers won't work on a 572 due to the increased deck height of the tall block - moves the attaching surface on the heads up and outboard. Photos below show the first prototype set - the outlets were revised later.

Kid..Check Vinny's Mail.. Important Message from Nutmegger..:beer

Yup, got it. I need more info from him.

Like I said on Sunday, these are the FIRST Holley's that I've rebuilt that leaked. I'm either stupid lucky or JUST careful enough when I rebuild carbs. As soon as I saw the post from JohnZ, I went :duh .

OK, Holley wants $660 for a six pack resto. Geez, is that creative pricing or what? I'm going to hit the Harbor Freight website and see how much a decent milling machine goes for. I've got a few uses for that. Like milling the choke horns, etc.

OK, OK, more information. After all, this is simply rebuilding carburetors. It's not neurosurgery.

Found a mill that will fit my budget and has the microfeed feature I'm looking for. Doesn't have to be a Bridgeport Mill quality, just good enough for what I need.

As I remember my discussion at VNV's (EVERY visit to his place costs ME money), he urged me to get the carbs milled by a shop and then use the Eastwoods' paint for resto. I just hit the Eastwood's site and they sell a powder coat mixture that they say looks real close to the original dichromate finish. I already have the powder coater and I could give a rat's ass about originality.

Hmmmm.

at VNV's (EVERY visit to his place costs ME money),

Yeah.. I'm waiten to see the 26 18 inch Satellite Dishes all over your Mansion in Princeton after the split screen View between Cable and Directv at my house.

Some Satellite installer is gonna be able to retire after your instal..:L

Hey, I married well.

I can see it now...."Yo Hon, VNV says I need this" :rotfl

"I'm going to hit the Harbor Freight website and see how much a decent milling machine goes for. I've got a few uses for that. Like milling the choke horns, etc."

Joe - FYI -- We have a Horbor Freight store here in Vineland now.

Thanks John! Good point. However, after calling a few machine shops, they say they don't do that kind of work because it's tough to do the set up.

Hmmmm again.

But notice the recent picture taken of me at the mill. I look rather serious, don't I? Yeah, I can do Holley's no problem. I think that's one of VNV's old t-shirts that I'm wearing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom