Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Turn Signal Short

Rowdy1

Corvette
1962 CORVETTE-SOLD 2004 Z16 Z06 CE
The car was rewired two years ago, everything including pigtails. Now when I use the left turn signal, a few blinks and WHAM.......blown breaker, the right side will blink until the bulbs blow. I don't like the "feel" of the signal lever, like it's harder to the left than the right. With Carlisle so close, I don't want to rip anything apart, my question is, can the turn signal mechanism in the steering column be shorting out? I have to dig up my manuals for a view of it, I did have it apart when I bought the "Rowdy1" mobile to put a stock steering wheel on it and replace the Grant Racing unit.

Hello?

Just thought I'd bring it "TTT"

I have owned upwards of 50 GM cars and never had a signal light switch short out,they just plane have broken for me. A bulb can actually short to the tailight element and do what you discribe.The tail light fuse doesn't blow?

Glenn
:w

Nope

I have parking lights, brake lights but when I put the left signal on it blows the breaker, not the right, just the left.:confused

I think your system uses the same bulb,double filement, for signal and tail. I would switch out that side and see if that takes care of it. Park and signal may work the same.

Glenn

I've seen some weird stuff, Rowdy, but I've never seen the signals short in the column. Sorry I can't be more help.

-Mac

Yes It Does

I have owned upwards of 50 GM cars and never had a signal light switch short out,they just plane have broken for me. A bulb can actually short to the tailight element and do what you discribe.The tail light fuse doesn't blow?

Glenn

Yes Glenn, that's what happens when I signal left, a couple blinks and the tail light fuse blows. I'll change the bulbs out in a little while and let you know what happens, I have to get more breakers, they're not fuses since I rewired it.

hi Lou the switch in the column would only short out if something inside has broken off . the wires do exit the column down below through a hole drilled in the housing and maybe a slight chance of rubbing through at the top of the column under the steering wheel.personally I would check the bulbs as stated and the wiring in the trunk area some times the pig tails are a problem at the sockets I will give you a call if you want Steve

hi Lou the switch in the column would only short out if something inside has broken off . the wires do exit the column down below through a hole drilled in the housing and maybe a slight chance of rubbing through at the top of the column under the steering wheel.personally I would check the bulbs as stated and the wiring in the trunk area some times the pig tails are a problem at the sockets I will give you a call if you want Steve

Sounds right to me also Lou,

I would check the wireing in the trunk area as well. Since your in and out of the trunk it's possible that you could have hit or pulled the wireing to the lamp assembly. Or it could be a gacked up lamp socket.

Keep us post..:beer

Almost................

lou what was the outcome Steve

Steve, first let me say, I'm very lucky to have a guy like you as a friend. With all you had going on in the last week, I can't believe you even remembered I had a problem. I got the new parts today after work, a two hour trip but at least I didn't have to wait for the brown truck or a mail delivery. A new turn signal switch and a new bearing for the top of the steering column. It just got too late to finish it up and I "hope" we'll have it buttoned up by Sunday morning, tomorrow is a wash. Everything is in, but there's a little glitch with the color of the wires and the plugs for the them, NOT a big deal. If all goes well, I'll be on target for Carlisle and looking for my last trophy for a burnout contest but I have to say, after reading what's happened in the past, I have no intention of :lou until they blow off the rims. Evidently, the winner is chosen from the crowds reaction and although I have spare wheels and tires, "if" I participate, will be running my stock Cragar wheels and tires.
I wish with all my heart you & yours have a speedy grieving time and your lives get back to normal ASAP.

Love Ya Bro
Lou

Thanks To All..........

We have ignition............well, so to speak. Blinkers, parking and brake lights are all in order. It was in fact, the turn signal switch. Thanks to everyone that offered up a suggestion, much appreciated. 2 1/2 days to Carlisle:lou

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom