Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Turn Signals/ Running Lights Not Functioning

M

Mayhem

I could use some help people. Just bought the car ( newbee ). 2000, having issues with the turn signals and running lights not functioning on the front only. Changed bulbs, checked fuses ect. absolutley no luck. Rear signals are working both sides. It was suggested to replace the turn signal lever. Didn't want to start changing parts unnecessarily. Also, if it helps, the headlights go up when it is placed in the first position, according to the owners manual this should not occur, the lights should only activate when it is in it's furthest setting. Am I dealing with a short? or is the advise I was given correct?

Okay, you're dealing with two different issues here and what I'm about to tell you is going to sound illogical. Trust me when I say this, I have a ton of experience with this car and the problems that you are experiencing are not only common with this model, but I have personally fixed the same exact problems on mine. As a matter of fact, I'm working on my air conditioning right now:

actuator_repair1.jpg

Yea, it ain't pretty or fun. :mad

Here's the deal with your headlights. You have a headlight motor gear that is going bad. You won't know which one it is until it actually goes and when it does, this is the sound that you will hear once you turn off the lights and they go down. At that point, you will know exactly which motor has the bad gear. It is very loud and noticeable and the sound makes your car look like it's crap. Here's a writeup that I did of how to fix the problem.

Now for your turn signals. The problem is most likely the hazard switch. This is also a well known problem. The way that the turn signal circuit is designed, routes it through the hazard switch. The switches either wear out or the contacts on the switch gets dirty and cause it to work intermittently. I would say that this is your exact problem but the running lights that you are having a problem with throws a monkey wrench into the equation. That makes me think that your turn signal sockets may be shot due to water intrusion. Check out this picture.

waterleak_bulb.jpg

That picture is the passenger's side headlight well with the headlight removed. If you can look at your housing and see a hole in there like what you see in my picture, you may need to change your housings and the LS15 socket that holds the turn signal bulbs. Warning, those little sockets are NOT cheap. The lenses are cheaper.

One thing that you can try is this. Press the hazard switch a bunch of times very rapidly. Then try your turn signals. If they start working, the hazard switch is bad. If they don't, then you have a wiring issue. Lucky for you, I have a schematic that you can look at.

Let me know what you find out and we'll take it from there.

Thanks Junkman

Holy detailed...knowledge and experience, I will proceed with your advise and hopefully this will resolve the issue, I will keep you posted. Thanks so much for your input.

AJ, thanks for your input.

Holy detailed...knowledge and experience, I will proceed with your advise and hopefully this will resolve the issue, I will keep you posted. Thanks so much for your input.

There are more schematics to look at but that one will get you started.

AJ, thanks for your input.

Thanks Tom. I need to spend more time dropping buy here. Where is the DIY section? I could drop some write-ups off here instead of directing people off the site.

Cool, thanks for the link. :)

Repairs Completed

Junkman, you are a man among men, everything that you responded to was exactly what I was sufferring from, made the repairs suggested and everything works properly, thank you for you assistnace. Oh, by the way, the headlight god aweful noise...the recommendation on the brass gear...also worked. Again thanks for your wisdom.

Glad it worked out for you. Nothing like fixing your own car and saving some money. Sometimes, I wish I wasn't so brave. I'm in the middle of a job right now and it has had its share of headaches. :mad

stabilizer.jpg

AJ, are you swapping out the rear end seals or what? :w

AJ, are you swapping out the rear end seals or what? :w

I wish.

I was replacing the wheel bearing when I damaged the outer tie rod. So now I have to fix that screw up. I'm in the process of buying the J-42188 tool from Kent-Moore so that I don't make that stupid mistake again. It's live and learn for me with car repairs. :eyerole This is exactly why I do so many write-ups. I don't want the next enthusiast to experience the headaches I get to experience. I still have to pull the manifold and replace the PCV hose, replace the A/C compressor (which means the water pump has to come out and the antifreeze has to be changed), put the dash back together and change the oil. I do need to replace the output shaft seal on the passenger's side. The driver's side is bone dry from the job I did 3 years ago.

Ahhh... the joys of being a shade tree mechanic. :mad

I understand that the AC compressor is a joy. :L

Finally, 3 days later... :eyerole

rear_end.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom