Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ultgar - Have a garage ? for ya -

*89x2*

Was wondering if you had a cost figure - Just ball park to put a decent dehumid / heat sys into an 832 sq ft garage - detatched.
10 ft ceilings

Looking for options - What are mine??

Thanks for your time!

** Don't me shy fellow CACers - I am looking for input / options - if you have them , share :beer

You can handle humidity with a portable unit...get one with a built-in pump (I sell the Therma-Stor Santa Fe unit) to get rid of the water.

Heating can run $1000 and up (installed)...cheapest being a Modine Hot Dawg ceiling mounted unit (vented of course) to a full blown hydonic unit with radiant tubing in the walls or in the floor.

Total heating, air conditioning, dehumidification and make-up air for my garage was around $40,000. Its more elaborate than most because of the need for environmental control with the use of the chassis dyno.

On a side note, I'm wrapping up a major remodel of one of my garages....should have pictures available shortly. SD

I have a 125,000-BTU Reznor power-vented forced-air gas ceiling-mounted unit heater (electronic ignition - no pilot flame, runs on a 15-amp 120V circuit), but it serves my 2600-sq.ft. garage; they also make similar smaller units that would serve your needs. Don't remember offhand what it cost - I had it installed as part of the whole package when we built our new home four years ago.

200222813558-5-reznorhtr.JPG

:beer

JohnZ said:
I have a 125,000-BTU Reznor power-vented forced-air gas ceiling-mounted unit heater (electronic ignition - no pilot flame, runs on a 15-amp 120V circuit), but it serves my 2600-sq.ft. garage; they also make similar smaller units that would serve your needs. Don't remember offhand what it cost - I had it installed as part of the whole package when we built our new home four years ago.

Thanks - That may take care of heating - Wait - i don't have Gas - , Hmm, it is at the curb though...

ultgar said:
You can handle humidity with a portable unit...get one with a built-in pump (I sell the Therma-Stor Santa Fe unit) to get rid of the water.

Heating can run $1000 and up (installed)...cheapest being a Modine Hot Dawg ceiling mounted unit (vented of course) to a full blown hydonic unit with radiant tubing in the walls or in the floor.

Total heating, air conditioning, dehumidification and make-up air for my garage was around $40,000. Its more elaborate than most because of the need for environmental control with the use of the chassis dyno.

On a side note, I'm wrapping up a major remodel of one of my garages....should have pictures available shortly. SD

Ultgar - Thanks! I am not willing to drop $40k :eek but was thinking about a heat pump for the garage that would handle AC & Heat...

I know your site showed what a difference a seperate de-humidifier unit can do but do you think in a smaller work / storage quasi - museum type structure, the heat pump would suffice to handle cooling and dehumid controls...

Thanks again!

As some of you guys know I am before my town now for a vareance to exstend my garage

I own a heat and a/c, company.

For heat I am going to use the hot dawg style unit.And I will slightley over size it for the area of my garage to allow for a quick recovery.

As for the a/c humidity removal.I am going to install a fujitsu mini split system
http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/wallmounted.htm

This unit will be undersized for the area.Its major purpose will be for humidity removal.This sytem has a drying mode built into it that it will run to satisfy the humidity levels regaurdless of out door tempiture.This unit is designed as an a/c unit but its excellent at removing moisture.And as we all know its not the heat that gets you its the humidity.

I do have the room in my garage for a warm air furnace and then a split a/c system but my reasoning for installing these two systems is that the hot dawg is realley a simple small affordable no noncense SAFE unit.

and the fujitsu unit is all set up with a drying mode.If I was to add a dehumidity control to a warm air/a/c system I would have to add all types of controls to allow the a/c unit to operate in lower outdoor tempitures

Allthought it would be fun to design and install a realley elaborite heating,Cooling,dehumidifing,air cleaning system.I will save that for my customers homes who want all of that for me I like to keep it real simple and would use the system described above

ultgar said:
I bought a Maytag programmable unit tonite - 65 pint model (portable) - right now, she is draining into the bucket but I bought about 30 ft of sch.40 pipe to run out of the side wall...

In 30 minutes, it dropped from 70% humidity @ 82 deg to 60% humidity @ 78 deg and has left at least 12 oz's of h2o in the bucket :eek

...stay tuned :m

so far, it has filled the bucket twice - I did not run it most of the day while out in the garage with the bay doors opened up...
Humidity readout has shown as low as 45% with an air temp of 88 deg - this was on a day of "pop-up" showers so it was indeed humid outside :eek
May have been a worthwhile $220 investment :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom