Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Universal Oil Catch Can?

F

faster73

Has anyone tried one of these?

CHROME OIL CATCH CAN TANK CAVALIER MONTE CARLO CORVETTE:eBay Motors (item 320402882359 end time Aug-21-09 20:39:19 PDT)

I'm debating taking my C5 in for the TSB to replace the #2 piston ring due to the excessive oil consumption. But that's a LOT of engine work so I've been thinking about the can option.

These are a little cheaper than some of the other options out there and they all seem like they do the same thing. Plus this one looks nicer than the brushed aluminum ones I've seen. IMHO

If you are getting excessive oil in through the intake it would burn through all cylinders not just #2.

:L That's useless, don't bother bro.

If you are getting excessive oil in through the intake it would burn through all cylinders not just #2.

it will blow by one then go back through the system to coat the intake and everything else.

The better catch cans have screens in them, usually made from stainless, that actually do the catching of the oil. The cheap ones are hollow.

I'd get a good one. They do help. The 'best' ones are still under $200 and that is way cheaper than a tear down.

Well this particular 'catch can is 'cheap' for a good reason. But if you have engine trouble with your current LS-1, you'd be better served if you pull your engine and rebuild the shortblock, OR just buy a LS3 crate engine from GMPP. I think their just about 6K and they come with everything, maifolds and ect. :thumb

If it's function you want, you can get one at Jeg's for about $49.
Unless.... you just like to blow your money, like most vette owners! :L

Well this particular 'catch can is 'cheap' for a good reason. But if you have engine trouble with your current LS-1, you'd be better served if you pull your engine and rebuild the shortblock, OR just buy a LS3 crate engine from GMPP. I think their just about 6K and they come with everything, maifolds and ect. :thumb

I disagree with this. An engine can run really well for a long time with some blow-by. If it is just a fun driver car I'd patch it and run it. It will probably last years on end the way it is.

There is a TSB on this and it's all over the forums. I'm new to the Vette world. This is my first one. From what everyone has said, it's common place.

And when I said the #2 piston ring, I meant the second ring on ALL the pistons.

This is the TSB.

Corvette Action Center Knowledgebase :: 1999 - 2002: Service Bulletin: Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption

I'm putting in a quart to a quart and a half every 900 to 1000 miles. I just hate to bring it and have them tear it apart! I've put a little over 2000 miles on it since I bought a few weeks ago and it only has 28K on it. Just seems exsessive to me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom