Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Unrewarding repair... what is yours?

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
I thought this would be a great thread for the general topics area. What is yor most unrewarding repair? I thought about it and even changing windshield wipers is rewarding. You can see when it ains with windshield wipers- so, its rewarding.

Anyone replaced their tranny mount? Isn't this the easiest, most unrewarding of repairs? It makes a difference when the one on the car is bad- but its not a glamourous repair. The most excitement in this repair is getting a piece of oily dirt in the eyes and trying to get it out with the cleanest part of the wrist.

Seriously- four bolts... two are 15mm and two are 9/16s. Energy Suspension provides bolts and washers to make it really easy. Unfortunately- urethane bushings are like women's clothing... the smaller the piece the more expensive the price.

The biggest challenge is pulling the car up on jacks stands and finding a piece of wood to support the transmission.

Spark plugs.
Nothing seems to be wrong with the old ones, and it runs the same as before.
Why did I do it? I dunno, it seemed like a good idea at the time.:L
If I thought of it as giving me peace of mind, then why are the old ones on a shelf in the garage instead of in the garbage dump? They could be used as a replacement, just in case I actually do have a bad plug.
They still look good. They worked! So why did I spend the time to replace them?

Yet one more of the Unexplained Mysteries!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR1iKF83VQ0&mode=related&search=

Rear seal, old one was leaking, new one is leaking, must have messed up the installation. I have lots of leaks and it seems everything I fix does not stop all the leaks. Wish I had a lift!!!

Hood release crossover cable replacement. PITA is getting the hood open just to do the repair. When you're finally done, you're where you should have been to begin with; able to get your hood open to do the real work.

Spending lots of $$ for chrome engine parts that nobody can see except me when I lift the hood in the garage by myself. Even the dog doesn't understand it:confused

Spending lots of $$ for chrome engine parts that nobody can see except me when I lift the hood in the garage by myself. Even the dog doesn't understand it:confused

Maybe you need a smarter dog? :)

Most unrewarding task... hmmm

Guess that would be the ole annual task of changing the air in the tires ;LOL esp. finding NOS replacement air :boogie ;help :chuckle :beer

Bud

Guess that would be the ole annual task of changing the air in the tires... esp. finding NOS replacement air...

;LOL

You mean I was supposed to change the air?;shrug

:boogie

I'll go with rebuilding an L48 and leaving it stock.

New center caps for the aluminum wheels. First ride only lost two emblems.

;LOL

You mean I was supposed to change the air?;shrug

:boogie

I change mine 2x a year,
winter air for storage,
summer air for cruising!!!!
And I make sure I only put 32 LBS of air in....
wouldn't want to upset the balance of the wheels!!!!!:duh:duh

My most unrewarding repair was a one of the rubber radiator cushions. I replaced my stock radiator with a DeWitts. When i got done, i looked under the car to make sure i got all of the tools. Turns out when of the cushions fell off. So I had to un-bolt the radiator, lift it up a few inches, and slide the cushion back in. It was easy and took 5 minutes. But it never should have happened in the first place.

My car was missing pretty bad around 3000 RPM. It would drive around happily all day under that RPM. I changed the fuel pump to try and fix the problem. Tried different carbs. I took off the back half of the exhaust since I thought it was a blocked catalytic converter - I had to grind welds off to do it. I pulled the exhaust off the exh manifold to make sure the flapper for EGR was not broken off/stuck shut. I even dropped the pan to check the mains.

Turns out it was a control module in the HEI which I discovered after changing the whole distributor. (this was the reqarding repair after all the others)

Oh - changing the engine mounts only to find out the fan still hits the shroud was another one. That was caused by a fan that was 1" dia too big.

Having the rocker panel repaired on my 2007 Vette, with less than 2,500 miles on it and only 1.5 months of ownership. The oil changer at the dealership where I purchased the car caught the edge of the rocker panel with the hoist. Luckily the damage that was done was under the car so it can not be seen unless the car is on a hoist, or someone is laying on their back looking for it. They repaired the damage, but I am still ****ed about the whole deal though.

Spent about $12 on a condensor thingy to put on the alternator to stop the buzz in the radio. didn't work and looks ugly. Anybody want to buy it? worthless piece of junk.

sounds like you better find a new mechanic, cause he is taking you for a ride!!

Most unrewarding frustrating repair for me so far was replacing the oil pan gasket thinking that would solve my oil leak. WRONG! Turned out to be the rear main seal so I had to do it all over again. PITA when you don't have a lift.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom