Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Updates on my GMPP TPI

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
Well, I reset the timing, adjusted the TPS, set minimum idle air, base idle RPM, and swapped the chip for a new custom burned program. The knock sensor has been desensitized somewhat. I had the chip burnt by PCM For Less in NC.

So far- I'm really happy with it. I took her out today and the car went a bit sideways from 1-2 on the shift. I can tell it is developing more HP at the upper end as it really screams to 5k. The behavior of the new motor reminds me of the 94 Formula I had in terms of acceleration, mid range, down shifting, etc. That would be about right- the Formula had a lightly modded LT1 with similar numbers for HP and torque. It also weighed a bit more too but had the 4L60E to help overcome the weight and gears.

The previous L82 seemed to lunge through its range- it would accelerate hard but it wasn't as fluid as the new motor. What that means is that I'd drop from 3-1 and it felt as though it would develop inertia as it was 1/3 its way through its range and that was what carried it a bit. Now, it seems to develop the power quickly and consistently as opposed to having a slight delay. The feeling I'm describing maybe the difference between the 230hp motor and a 300hp motor.

I'm still looking into the code 43 I have tripped. I think it was because two plug wires were right next to the knock sensor lead. I've moved them away from each other. I'll reset the ECM later today and see if that does it. If not, I'll go through the GM trouble-shooting procedures and determine if it is a a bad lead, knock sensor, or ECM. Otherwise- the engine seems to have no ill effects from the code. Like I said, it may be the result of the ignition wires. Either way- I'll find out later today.

The car needs a good wash. It is supposed to get up to almost 50 degrees today. So, hopefully I'll get the chance to wash it. I need to get some polish on the runners and plenum again while I'm at it.

I think I'll be able to clip a video of it running today as well. It really sounds mean now!

:lou

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom