Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

vacuum relay valve

72 Bluz

Have read that these relay valves have a filter in them. Is it at the bottom of the valve in the little black plastic enclosure? Where can you get a filter, or can you make one yourself? If one can be made, what do you use?

*@#% vacuum problems!!!!

Bill

Wild guess here

Go to your local pet store, get some aquarium filter material...

OR

Hardware store, filter material for breather masks.

Just a thought

Mike

72 Bluz
I just got a new relay, Yes the filter goes in that little rectangle space at the bottom , It needs to covers the end of the relays shaft because the plunger inside the shaft must allow air in, and so neutralize vacuum on some of the relays positions.
Its a little piece of porous sponge. If its too dense, it will clog easily and stop air from getting in when needed.

Im talking with zips tech department now about vacuum problems and troubleshooting. So if you have specific problems, Maybe I will be able to pass on their info?
TC

where was that post?

There was a very good post recently about how to rebuild & modify a vacuum relay. It was very detailed and made super sense. I seem to recall it was from one of our european members ... but not sure. I've searched every way I know how to but cannot find it.
JACK:gap

Re: where was that post?

Jack said:
There was a very good post recently about how to rebuild & modify a vacuum relay. It was very detailed and made super sense. I seem to recall it was from one of our european members ... but not sure. I've searched every way I know how to but cannot find it.

Jack,
If you find that post..PLeeze let me know where it is.
Those relays are 80 bucks per pup. I just got one from Zips, and sent it back, wouldnt hold vacuum, it was worse than the old one Im replacing!!!
I'd definitly prefer some directions on rebuilding.
TC

Link: vacuum relay rebuild instructions

Here's a link to some pretty nice instruction on how to rebuild a vacuum relay. They're from a Norwegian registry for 1980 vetts ... they're in English. Haven't tried em myself ... but they look pretty darn good. As I read them, I interpret the author's use of "digraph" to mean what I know as diaphragm.

http://iotech.no/corvette/technical/corvette_headlight_relay.htm

Got it Jack, Thanks..I think Ill just take my old relay apart now and see what I can do..
While at that site, did you see That he has a bunch of other tech procedures there too?. A good one on replacing half shaft u-joints . He includes excellent diagrams with the info :gap
Thanks again..
TC

PS I found this primary vacuum system desciption link awhile ago , It seems very complete ,up to the heater switches anyway.

http://vetteworks.tripod.com/techdocuments/Vaccum.html

You beat me to it, Jack

71 Registry site has some good tech articles. I'm going to see if I can rebuild my wiper relay from it. Think that's what is causing my wiper door to become haunted when I turn the car off.

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom