Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Valve Cover Leak 65 Vette

• Thread starter Thread starter taller
  • Start date Start date
T

taller

I have 1-valve cover that I can't stop leaking on my 327-300hp. Any tips from you guys? I put new gaskets on. I installed RVT sealer to the cover not the heads. Should I try putting some on the head as well? When I took the covers off it looked like maybe they have a little worp to the covers.

Thanks

Hi Taller

sorry, I can't answer your question, but welcome to CAC.
I know your name from the other site as well.

:CAC
:bar

Well thanks. I need al the help I can get.

BarryK said:
Hi Taller

sorry, I can't answer your question, but welcome to CAC.
I know your name from the other site as well.

:CAC
:bar

Sounds like you have the steel valve covers; if they're warped they ARE going leak. Best bet is to try to straighten them, or get a new/reconditioned one.
Good luck

You could use great stuff, by permatex. Best there is, $14.00 for 8oz cartridge. You use a caulk gun. This would eliminate leaks if you have a warped cover.

Welcome to the forum.I am not falmilur with the type of covers on your car,But if they are steel.Couple of things you should check
1- see if someone had over tightened them at one time and warped the covers.with the covers off you should be able to see the problem it will look bent.

Are all of the bolts in and have good threads?

JUST SAY NO TO OIL LEAKS they all can be fixed

Taller,

Your problem probably stems from when someone over tightened the valvecover sometime in the past. This has probably dimpled the bolt holes and this mahea it almost impossible to get them to seal. Turn the valvecovers upside-down and place about a 1/2" deep socket under the bolt hole. Then take a small ballpien hammer, and dimple the hole into the open socket. When complete, the hole will now dimple to the upper side of the cover rather than the engine side, and this will probably take care of the leaks. Also, make sure that you are using the little load spreading plates that the factory used. They will go a long way to prevent the cover from dimpling again at the bolt holes.

Regards, John McGraw

I would try to straighten the covers as best you can then use the RTV silicone on both sides of the gasket then reinstall

Look for evenness of the covers. If necessary straighten them.

Use rubber gaskets (felpro has them...) instead of coark

Use the aftermarket pressure spreaders (How are these things called in real life ?) under the bolts...that should do.

No need for RTV on the head side of the gasket - just makes a mess. Work the covers as John noted to get the seal surface flat (including the holes), clean the surface with lacquer thinner, and apply a thin bead of RTV to the seal surface, making a complete "ring" around each bolt hole; apply the gaskets to the covers, let them sit overnight, and install using the factory reinforcements. Don't overtorque them (you don't want to distort the seal flange); after an hour or so of running time, re-check the torque, and you should be leak-free. I've always done it this way with both steel and aluminum covers, and I've never had a leaker, even on my solid-lifter cars where the aluminum covers are removed periodically for valve adjustment and go back on with no extra work or sealer.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom