Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Valve cover refinish

ghertzog

Corvette
1992 Black Rose convertible
I am looking to repaint the valve covers on my 1992 LT1. I see paint advertised for 84-91 but not 92-up. Any suggestions? Thanks

I know the yr models that do have paint available were the L-98 covers that were magnesium that turned brown the first time the car wash detergent hit them...

Yours probably have a different material that does not accept paint very well? Aluminum maybe?

I think the 1992 was the first year with composite covers. They suppose to be more quiet but i removed mine from my 1993 and replaced them with polished aluminum covers, and can´t honnestly heare any difference.

Steve

I am looking to repaint the valve covers on my 1992 LT1. I see paint advertised for 84-91 but not 92-up. Any suggestions? Thanks
Mid America or Ecklers should have the paint you are looking for. But if you want a different color you can do that too. Just make sure the paint can take higher temperatures.

My OE magnesium covers were pitted and faded. The pitting was pretty bad and a "normal paint would not cover (conceal) the pitted areas, so I used black wrinkle paint and they turned out great. So far they have stood up to the under hood heat. If you do not want black, you can paint over the wrinkle paint when it is dry.

If you do paint the OE magnesium covers, be sure to properly prepare the surface with self-etching (acid) primer first.

CG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom