Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

vendor recommendation??

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
While my '65 - BABY - is in the shop getting painted I need to order a couple of new trim pieces.
I need the complete set of windshield trim SS pieces and each of the top corner clips. For some reason all the clips seem to be there except for the top corner clips on both sides and the previous owner tied to hold the corner molding pieces on by silicone gasket stuff (what an idiot!)

question 1: are all the SS windshield trim pieces available currently really the same from one vendor to the other whether I order from LICS, ZIP, Mid-America, Paragon, or whoever. Other than slight differences in cost their descriptions are all the same of course. Is it all the same manaufacturer making these parts being distributed by the various suppliers or is anyone aware of quality differences from one supplier to the next. I'd rather spend a few extra $'s and get a better quality product if there is a difference but not just because one place is charging a few $'s more.

Question 2: since I have to also order and install the corner mounting clips am I right in assuming that the whole windshield has to be removed to do that and therefore I should also order a new rubber gasket for the windshield? My paint guy said that to get the glass out we need to cut the existing rubber gasket to get the glass out to install the corner clips. It's a shame to have to do that as it's clear that the existing rubber gasket is already new and must have been replaced during the previous body-off restoration but if i need to do it again I will. My paint guy seems to think the other trim clips look ok but should I order a new set anyway to go with the new trim pieces or if the existing clips look ok than they should be fine?

Question 3: both my windshield and my rear window (coupe) have scratches and very distinct DA marks across the tops from someone in the past being careless as they did prior work on the car. The windshield is not the original as I can tell from the markings but the rear window is and shows the proper logo and date markings. Can I get opinions on whether I should go through the added expense of replacing the windshield and rear windows with new pieces. I see that Paragon offers replacement glass that i can get with the proper logo, dated, and tinted. The existing glass isn't TOO bad and I normally wouldn't consider going through the hassle and expense of replacing it BUT I'm starting to think that since the car is already in the shop and getting so much other body and paint work done to it it would almost be a shame to end up afterwards with an awesome looking paint job and scruffy looking glass.
Just another incident of the old "well, might as well as......."

Barry,

I can't see how you'd replace the corner clips without removing the windshield. Order a complete set of clips and screws. From experience, I can tell you that you will find some bad ones, especially along the lower windshield area. They're not that expensive and will lessen the frustration of rusty, broken pieces.

And, make sure to get the right gasket adhesive.
windshield-sealant-350.jpg

It comes JohnZ recommended and it works.........unlike the shop-recommended crap I tried the first time. :crazy

thanks Bob
that's kind of what I figured regarding the clips - as long as I was replacing the trim the clips might as well be done also. we weren't going to do that since it meant having to pull out the windshield than we noticed the missing corner clips and realized we were in a bind and were going to probably have to pull the glass out anyway.

Cutting the windshield gasket permits easy removal of the windshield without the risk of breakage that occurs if you try and save both the windshield and gasket. Can be done, but probabaly not worth the risk of breakage.

Windshield has to come out to replace/install clips. If the existing clips are tight, they can be re-used, but it's good insurance to replace them given the time/trouble of removing and re-installing the windshield if some are marginal.

If the rear window has been hit with a DA and no marks/scratches are large enough to catch a fingernail, they can most likely be polished out with a glass polisher. Best done by a glass shop with some experience in this. Worth a try in any event before you go to the expense of replacement.

Sorry I can't help you with any recommendations regarding the source/quality of replacement pieces.

My opinions!!! ;)

thanks ron
I think the scratches may be too much to try to polish out but i guess it's worth trying to get a glass shop to look at it anyway. Replacement of both front and rear glass would be almost $800 for just the glass and who knows how much on the shipping.

As far as glass goes, I replaced my rear glass, 64 coupe this summer, and the glass company I went with used Pilkington glass. What a waste of my time. My car sat three months with no glass cause after four tries to get a good one, I said seeya! Terrible quality.They brought me four different pieces and each one was worse than the next, crooked edges, wavy edges, different curvatures, etc. First try from Corvette Central, which uses OEM,Inc. glass: PERFECT!!

You may want to check with the guy who will be installing the windshield concerning the moulding clips. The guy who installed my windshield recommended using a little different type of clip other than the "correct" ones that I had already installed. I wish I would have listened to him.

There is a company over by Bloomington IL that sells correct Logo and date code glass for Corvettes and other vintage cars. I think this is their contact info.

[size=+1]OEM Glass Inc[/size]
(309) 664-0526
[size=-1]14038 PR Commercial Park[/size]
[size=-1]Bloomington, IL 61704

Or
[/size]

OEM Glass
t.gif

dkgray_top_lft_corner.gif
t.gif
dkgray_top_rt_corner.gif
1107 E Cemetery Ave
Chenoa, IL 61726-1275
Phone: (309) 662-2122

Maybe John will remember.

Tom

thanks everyone for the info on the glass and the clips. what about the SS trim pieces??

Barry,
I don't know how bad you trim is but have you thought about getting it redone... Cannon's down in Moyock, NC http://www.cannons-corvettes.com/ . Claims to be able to repair and repolish the SS trim for 400.00.. I'm sure that's going to be a lot cheaper than buying all new.. However if you do find a vendor with a good price on the SS windshield trim please post the price. I currently may have to go that route... Dave..

Clips and stainless trim

Hi! Berry

Molding Clips, I purchased some after market clips for my 65 and the glass installer did not like them. He stated that he has had problems with them. I would check with your glass installer prior to purchase.

Stainless Trim, I restored my stainless on my 61. You may want to check in your area for a person that restores stainless. I have not purchased any aftermarket stainless, but I have heard that the quality is inferior. I am looking forward to other opinions.

Ray

MVC-076S_small.JPG

Hi Dave and Ray

on my SS trim, i considered sending it out to be restored rather than buying new pieces but what i'm worried about is how well they can restore them. Cosmetically my trim pieces look pretty good - a good polishing job should make them shine like new. The problem is that a few of the pieces are a little bent and/or flattened. it looks like at some prior time somebody had removed and reinstalled them already and when reinstalling they couldn't get them to fit properly so tried to get the pieced to "snap in" or fit more flush by hitting them with something like a rubber mallet or similiar. This caused a few areas to get somewhat flattened out.
I'm not sure how well a restorer can "unflatten" these pieces.
It looks as if i may be between a rock and a hard place. I get to choose between trying to restore these existing pieces and MAYBE they will turn out ok or i can try buying new "repro" pieces that maybe also give me a problem with quality and/or fit problems.

I need to get this figured out what i'm going to do because my body/paint guy has shown me on my car where along parts of the roof where it ends and meets with the trim pieces some prior sanding work on the body got a bit carried away and oversanded the roof panel causing a few low spots he needs to build back up correctly. He will need these new trim pieces to have and fit correctly so he can properly build the 'glass up on the edge of the roof panel so everything fits flush and smooth to each other.

Barry,

I good stainless person can straighten, and fix the dings in the stainless, it is the same as doing bodywork though very labor intensive, you might ask this question on the NCRS site on who others might recomend.

Tom M

sting66ray said:
Barry,

I good stainless person can straighten, and fix the dings in the stainless, it is the same as doing bodywork though very labor intensive, you might ask this question on the NCRS site on who others might recomend.

Tom M

thanks Tom - i wasn't sure that was possible but now i'll look into it further before going to spend money on new repro pieces

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom