Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning! Very Disappointed in Vette Brakes and Products.

Corvette
1969 L-89 Coupe Riverside gold
I have run into a couple issues with VBandP performance as of late. Most recently I was installing my new Power Rack and pinion upgrade kit. I am working on a Frame off Resto on a 69. I was having a productive day finished installing my front suspension and moved on to the Steering. I started laying out the brackets then opened the box that held the actual rack and pinion Unit. When I opened it up it was like a kick in the balls. The unit was a re-manufactured unit and there were chunks of scale and rust falling off just by touching it (the spray paint wasn't very nice). I was faced with a dilemma put it on and it be the worst looking part on my chassis or attempt replacing or fix it. On calling VB&P there solution was send back and look for one that looks better. I knew that the returned one would still be not to my standards. I chose to sand blast the unit and repaint. This wasn't really that bad. It came out looking much better. This is were I got frustrated. So now I go back to put it in and I have run into 2 of the brackets not fitting. On all the paperwork it says do not alter or modify kit. I call VB&P and there solution is they don't have a problem with me Drilling and grinding and cutting to make fit. Not to mention this is the second kit now that I have had to by bolts for that I expected new replacements instead of using old rusted ones. If I knew I was going to have to do this I would just build the brackets my self. I think I might saving my money and just build them myself next time. I am not going to go into the other stuff. I have many parts I need and I can say I have intentions to try other suppliers even if they cost more. I hope my luck with be better. I know the next car I have in line I am going to try someone else to compare at least.

Yours is not the first disappointment with VBandP. I'm not sure what's going on there, but the quality and service has declined over the last several years.

Yours is not the first disappointment with VBandP. I'm not sure what's going on there, but the quality and service has declined over the last several years.

Any suggestions? I Was thinking of trying Van Steel for my Rear offset trailing arms and rebuild parts for that and still need some misc for the chassis.

Wow, that is troubling to hear. I've bought suspension kits for 2 corvettes from VBP. The kits were complete, well it took a few weeks to get some of the back ordered parts, but they delivered within a few weeks. I have considered the r&p from VBP, but after hearing this, I'm pretty sure I'll be using a borgeson p/s box on the 72 project.

I'm neutral on the VB&P issue as my dealings with the company have been favorable but...none of my work with them has been recent.

That said, if I were looking for a steering upgrade, I'd go with the Borgeson steering box rather than a rack-and-pionion conversion. My belief is a lot of these R/P conversions for C2/C3 have ride steer problems varying from modest to significant. At least with the Borgeson, your ride steer won't change from stock and "bump steer kits" which have been on the market for since the 70s can solve that.

Sorry to hear about the hassle. The only thing I bought from them were their SS brake line kit which looked and installed awesome. But with this development, ill be weighing my options when I'm ready for the steeroids upgrade :/

Sorry to hear about the hassle. The only thing I bought from them were their SS brake line kit which looked and installed awesome. But with this development, ill be weighing my options when I'm ready for the steeroids upgrade :/

I first did business with VBP mid year last year and then again recently and I see a marked difference. The tech support is still there but the customer service and parts issues are disappointing. I was never happy with the lack of shipping information from them either. I turned to Van Steel for a small order recently and was very happy. Good tech support, parts available and they sent me an automated shipped noticed linked to ups.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom