Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wannabe ZR-1 owner, help please!

Corvette
1990 Bk/Gy ZR-1, #2233
Hi to all the ZR-1 owners! I am way late to the table,but I've recently given serious thought to a ZR-1 as a buy to get back to the hobby. I have tried not to start a new thread, and I've read this section from the oldest to the recent. God I'm so glad I joined CAC! To some one who only knows a 72LT-1 (only vette I've owned) the world of EEC is unknown territory! The one thing that has attracted me to the C4 ZR-1 is I read somewhere in the last 5 days that the metal structure parts on the car were galvanized dipped steel ( no birdcage problems like C3's)? I can get reprints of real GM shop manuals(I am anal about shop mans.) from GM? I can get an analyzer specific to the model yr. ZR-1 I might buy to help me diagnoise EEC problems? Can I get an analyzer to help with "trouble codes" for the rest of the non-engine stuff? Can I get "assembly manuals"? With the execption of the LT-5 drive train ( motor/trans/rear/EEC ) and the suspension the rest of the car is a C4 right??? I think I understand LT-5 parts are NLA from GM but aftermarket exists? I know the body panels are different from other C4's(windshield included)? My budget for the car is 30K tops so I know that limits me to 90-91 realistically. I am trying to resist 90-91's with real low miles(found a 90 w/12K) cause if it sits too long you're gonna have problems? Anyone have a recommendation on a surveyer's creds due to nature of LT-5 & ZF box? I apologize for being long! To Rob and the moderators, if I messed up I'm sorry! I just thought I needed to try here before I started on the local chevy dealers for info on a car they no longer sell. Thanks to all for any help and your patience with me. Tom

tomtom72 said:
I can get reprints of real GM shop manuals(I am anal about shop mans.) from GM?
Yep.

tomtom72 said:
I can get an analyzer specific to the model yr. ZR-1 I might buy to help me diagnoise EEC problems?
Yep, I believe a Tech-2 for prior '94 model years.

tomtom72 said:
Can I get an analyzer to help with "trouble codes" for the rest of the non-engine stuff?
Yep.

tomtom72 said:
Can I get "assembly manuals"?
Not sure if assembly manuals are available. I'm don't think they are, but could be wrong.

tomtom72 said:
With the execption of the LT-5 drive train ( motor/trans/rear/EEC ) and the suspension the rest of the car is a C4 right???
]Nope. The doors, rear quarter panels and rear bumper are unique to the ZR-1.

tomtom72 said:
I think I understand LT-5 parts are NLA from GM but aftermarket exists?
Yes, and with the right connections, you shouldn't have a problem finding most parts.

tomtom72 said:
I know the body panels are different from other C4's(windshield included)?
Yes, the windshield on the ZR-1 is unique to the ZR-1, but a windshield from a standard C4 will also fit. The ZR-1 windshield is coated with a special UV reflective layer (which has a tendency to delaminate over time), in order to help keep the interior cool. A smaller AC compressor was used because of the size of the engine. In order to compensate, they used the special windshield.

tomtom72 said:
My budget for the car is 30K tops so I know that limits me to 90-91 realistically. I am trying to resist 90-91's with real low miles(found a 90 w/12K) cause if it sits too long you're gonna have problems?
Not necessarily. Mine sat for 4 years with only 100 miles on it and I never had any major problems with it. It really depends upon storage conditions. The biggest concern with a ZR-1 that's been sitting for a long time is vacuum leaks under the plenum. Again, not a major deal to diagnose and repair.

tomtom72 said:
Anyone have a recommendation on a surveyer's creds due to nature of LT-5 & ZF box?
Not sure what you're asking for here?
tomtom72 said:
I apologize for being long! To Rob and the moderators, if I messed up I'm sorry! I just thought I needed to try here before I started on the local chevy dealers. Thanks to all for any help and your patience with me. Tom
No need to apologize. If you have questions, feel free to ask regardles off length. That's what we're here for. :)

Hi Rob, Thank you don't cut it! But all I can say is THANK YOU! Sorry about the surveyor question, I was thinking that the LT-5's drive train needed a person who was familiar with it to look it over. However I think I might just question the surveyor before hand to see if they have the knowledge. No use looking at something if you don't know what you're looking at! I think I'm gonna fill out my loan app and call the one I saw BK/BK, 12K mi./ both tops / 27K asking down Richmond way! God I'm jazzed, I gotta calm down no rushing! Thank you for the info and the site. The EEC stuff had me going cause I have to learn all that stuff to take care of my ZR-1. Thanks again, Tom.

tomtom72 said:
Hi Rob, Thank you don't cut it! But all I can say is THANK YOU! Sorry about the surveyor question, I was thinking that the LT-5's drive train needed a person who was familiar with it to look it over. However I think I might just question the surveyor before hand to see if they have the knowledge. No use looking at something if you don't know what you're looking at! I think I'm gonna fill out my loan app and call the one I saw BK/BK, 12K mi./ both tops / 27K asking down Richmond way! God I'm jazzed, I gotta calm down no rushing! Thank you for the info and the site. The EEC stuff had me going cause I have to learn all that stuff to take care of my ZR-1. Thanks again, Tom.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the KOTH. As for this line..."God I'm jazzed, I gotta calm down, " all I can say is, Why? We now just how you feel. On and off over the years since I got my first vette in '74, I've always been jazzed. But there was never quite the feeling as when I got my ZR1...smile stayed with me for months. Anyways, enjoy it if you get that one and welcome aboard.

Hi ZRGator, Thanks for the kind words & the welcome. From what I've read in this forum seems like the ZR-1's are special. I read somewhere that the steel in the car is galv'ed to prevent rust, unlike the C3's. You ever hear of that? Anyway I gotta go fill out my loan app. talk to you guys later. Tom

Your assumptions about price mught not be accurate. I recently (August '04) purchased my 1994 ZR-1 for $28,500 out the door ($26,200 before tax, tags, etc.). It has 16 kmiles on it and is in mint condition.

It was sitting on a Mercedes Benz dealer lot for a bout 3 months and they just wanted to get rid of it. Keep your eyes open and I think you'll be able to find just as good (if not better) a deal.

I disagree with your statement that low mileage '90-'91's have problems. My (perfect) '91 w/7,200 miles runs absolutely like new. If they're well cared for, low mileage won't hurt a thing.

Hi guys, Nice deal in Calif. for the 1994! I am going to start looking at the high end dealers in my area. I had not thought of that, thanks for the idea. Also I was asking the thing about low milage more as a question than a statement. I was looking for other ZR-1 owners' thoughts on the subject. Out here, in the NYC metro area, you would be surprised how some people treat expensive sports cars. I would love to find a vette owner that treats their car like the people here treat their vettes. Anyway thank you guys for the help and ideas and advise. CAC members are a stand up group! Thanks to all of you I have some good knowledge to use in my search. Tom

zr1vp said:
I disagree with your statement that low mileage '90-'91's have problems. My (perfect) '91 w/7,200 miles runs absolutely like new. If they're well cared for, low mileage won't hurt a thing.
I bought my 93 40th Anniversary Edition ZR1 with 10,580 documented original miles and I certainly have had no problems with it becusde of low miles. It runs like a raped ape and it howls like a banshee with the top off and getting to high revs. I don't believe the old "low miles it has problems from sitting" applies to this motor!
So, it's been a while since you started looking...what have you found or bought?

Hi ZRGator, Yea it's been awhile since I started looking. I am struck by the variety of ZR-1's out there, and I found two that I was serious about down in Va. However, the best laid plans have a habbit of going awary. I ran into a small cash flow problem that is going to delay my plans for eight months or so. I'm a bit disappointed, but it is only a minor set back. Thanks for asking. Tom

Hi Steve, Thanks for the encouragement( my significant other would say " don't encourage him!"). I'm still looking and I guess the smile is like the one I had when I had my 72 LT-1. All I had to do was think about the car and a smile would start to form! I have not had that feeling about a car since I sold my 72 in 85, been vettless since then! I'm working on it! Tom

tomtom72 said:
Hi Steve, Thanks for the encouragement( my significant other would say " don't encourage him!"). I'm still looking and I guess the smile is like the one I had when I had my 72 LT-1. All I had to do was think about the car and a smile would start to form! I have not had that feeling about a car since I sold my 72 in 85, been vettless since then! I'm working on it! Tom
Tom,

I had a 70 350/350 car I autocrossed in the late 70's. I thought that car was incredible after the 67 327/300 car I had...but, the 93 ZR1 I have now is incredible beyond belief! Power, style, comfort and power (did I say that already?).
My wife rode in my 67 427/400 coupe then rode in the ZR1...no contest for her, she loves the ZR1. Find someone to give you a ride in one (comeon down to Baltimore and I'll give you a ride) you won't believe how far beyond that LT1 mouse motor Chevy went with this mouse motor.

Hi ZRGator, thanks for the offer! Yes the women do seem to like the amenities of modern vettes vs the old C3s. I had factory side pipes. Truth be told the GM radio was no match for those pipes ( camel hump heads not withstanding ). She did not seem to appreciate the nuance of an early 70's refined mouse motor, as well as the refined creature comforts! ( GOD I MISS THAT CAR! ) Go figure! On the positive side she said I had better get a vette cause of the look in my eyes when I talk about my 72. Now that's support! All I need to do is get past my temporary $ flow problems and I've got the green light! Tom

Get'in closer, have more questions...

Hi All, Looks like financial things may break my way soon(fingers crossed). I have discovered something I have overlooked in studying ZR-1 ads, slightly modified cars. I mean I've seen a lot of ads for ZR-1's that have exhaust system swap outs to headers, most say "original factory exhaust goes w/car". Is the orig. exh. sys. a one piece welded system? If you swap to headers do you need to recalibrate the fuel delivery soft-ware(program)? Sorry, I keep thinking of SB's from the 60's & 70's, lean condition on cyls.6,8,5 & 7, when headers were used. What happens to the O2 sensors and the EGR(?) Sys. and the catalytic converters if you swap to headers? In the old days the exh. gaskets used to leak and the headers used to burn thru eventually, does this still happen? Am I correct in thinking that a street legal header would have all the smog hook-ups like the stuff from SLP(used on the firebirds & camaros) and low restriction cats? I guess I could just limit my looking to box stock ZR-1's; but I've found that people who do the little things to enhance motors usually are strict about maintenence also. I'm not saying that bone stock owners are not strict about maintenence! Thanks to all the members for any light you can give me. Tom

stock vs slight mod's

good? most of the slight modded zr-1's will be as good as a complete stock zr-1 xcept for 1 thing. the mod guys tend to push the rpm all the way and may belive it or not keep the carbon build up down and actually be better 4 the motor overall. even the exhaust mod's do not spell trouble for a conversion back to stock is easy. clutch mods the same way. in fact most of the mod's are well thought out and enhance the lt5 and u would prob. want to keep em...but it is nice to put the car back to stock and sell that way...they tend to get more $ for stock and who knows if that is not just what u bought.... that supposed stock zr-1!!!! point for thought and ponder!!!!

I think you're right on the C4 structure being galvanized and dipped.

The stock exh. is one piece from several inches downstream of the cats to the back.

You may or may not need to change the calibration if you go to headers. It depends on the headers and whether or not you remove the cats.

If you go to headers, you'll need to install bungs on the collectors for the O2Ses. Most headers for LT5s will not work with stock cats so you'll have to go to some, smaller, aftermarket cat. 90-92s have no EGR. 93-95 does have EGR and the header collectors will have to be modifed to accept the EGR connection.

Good headers gaskets don't leak. Good headers don't burn through.

Original service manuals should still be available. I've not heard of any of the ZR1 books being reprinted as are some of the manuals from the C2/3 era.

They're not called "analyzers", the device is a "scan tester". There are a number of them on the market. The best choice is a used Vetronix TECH1A with the GM software for the model year in question.

Generally, ZR1 differences are engine, trans, ECM,body work aft of the a-pillars, rear wheels and springs.

You Guys are the best, thanks!

Thankyou WB9MCW for the reply and advice! I was of the mind that the modded ZR-1's were well planed & well cared for. It's hard to think any vette wouldn't be well cared for, but let the buyer beware. I was just trying to get a feel for what I should be looking for before I buy. I also have been away from the hobby for a long time so I am not current on ECM/EEC equiped cars. I live in NY(burb of NYC), so the DMV inspection process looks at vehicle emissions and air polloution control components on every car no matter the age, and I need to figure out what I gotta do to pass state inspection. If the car I buy is stock it should pass, but if it has been improved I may have trouble because a visual of required equipment is part of the inspection. The only loop hole is that there are no state run inspection stations and usually if the tail pipe #'s are right you pass. Thank you Hib for your advice! Is the scanner you mention the type a person would buy, or is it a service shop type? I'm going to do a search for scanners cause I know I will have to buy one to perform maintenence on my new vette. I also know I don't know much at all about maintaining a car with EEC! I now wish I had paid attention when my friend tried to teach me about OBD II on my T-birds! Oh well at least I know how to read so I think I might be able to get a basic grasp on the operation of the system, and there are the CAG members to help also! I must say thank you again to all here for your generous help! Tom

Avoid The Test

TOM-TOM in Illinois if u prove collectors insurance cert.(drive only 4 pleasure and to club/cruise events) u can bypass completely the state emmissions testing program...there is a push across America 4 the same...bet if u check ur state may have a loophole!!! Another plus the policy is half as much as a regular one!!! Here is who I use for my 92 Zr-1 (EXOTIC)insurance...http://www.classicautoquote.com/

Hi Bryan, Thanks for the lead on the insurance, I will get a quote from them. That's about the only positive step toward owning a ZR-1 I've taken, get my agent to quote me a price with my present carrier. Well also to go get all the forms from NYS DMV so I am ready to do the paperwork part when I get a deal done. I went to check out the NYS veh. inspection rules and no luck with exemptions unless 25 or older. I just have to figure out what to do if I find a car I like that has headers. I don't see that it's impossible to find cats that would not be able to be fitted in a header system, maybe a bit expensive but I'll just have to do more research. I have my eye on two cars that have headers, I will just search for their mfgs' web sites to see what I can do about adding cats. At the worst I'll just ask if these people have the orig. exh. sys., that can't cost much to put back on. I know in NYS I have ten days to get a car inspected once I buy it. It can even fail, and you get another ten to fix it so it passes. I would rather not have to do that without studying the shop manuals first, but I'll figure out something when I get to that point. Thanks again for the kind words & help. Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom