Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wannabe ZR-1 owner, help please!

Another ZR-1 question.....

Hi Guys, Anyone know where to inquire about Random Tech Catalytic converters? By studiying the old posts in the ZR-1 section I think I learned that Jeal, Watson, Stainless & Brian A's headers are very close & / or basically the same design. Random's cats were mentioned to solve a smog inspection problem, which would be the same problem that I will have in NYS if I buy a ZR-1 with headers. I figure from reading the ZR-1 posts that some states are more liberal than places like Ca. & NYS, and those owners don't get hasseled come inspection time. Any help on this would be great, thanks! Tom

Hi Bryan, yes I did some thread searching ( not done yet ) and found some very good info to help me with answers to my questions. God bless CAC archives! I think I have a good handle on how to make sure a Z I buy with headers will pass NYS smog rules. All it takes is $! Now at least I don't have to skip over every Z that has been modified, and I've learned some of the right Q & A's so I can be a more informed buyer. I have to thank all the members for all the generous help! Now if I can just get this little bussiness deal done I'll be free to go shopping instead of just looking! Thanks to all for the help! Tom

Just an update

Hi All, I started my ZR-1 search officially yesterday, and I missed a 90 with manual A/C. However today I e-mailed one in Ga. and spoke on the phone(no e-mail address in ad) to another. Had a pleasant talk with the owner and he agreed to an appraiser and to me doing a carfax check. Oh if ya'll need a carfax check I got 28 days left, just give me the VIN in an e-mail and I'll run it for you. One thing always strikes me about corvette owners is their willingness to talk vettes. The talk I had with the owner was like two gear head vette lovers talking in the garage over a couple of cold ones! Boy I sure miss that! Anyway, I'm starting to get jazzed to the point I gotta calm down so I can think straight. Wish me luck and I thank all the members for their patience with my questions! Tom.

glad to help u tom

no problem there tom and u are right the vette folks are most helpfull..contrary to the common perceptions of vette owners being "snobs"!!! I have found the vette community to be most gracious and helpfull...esp. the zr-1 crowd!!!

Another update

Hi All, You are right WB9MCW vette owners are just not like other sports car owners, they seem to be a lot closer knit group. I guess it's hard to explain to people who never were in the hobby. I am asking if there any members in the Atlanta area who might want to eye ball a car I have in mind? I'm not looking for any freebes, anyone's time is money. I just got off the phone with Steve, aka Wegone, and I'm interested in his 90 ZR-1. The only thing is that I'm in NY and he lives south of Atlanta. I have never bought a car over the net before, and I'm in no position to go off looking at every ZR-1 in my price range, so any help in this matter would be great. Even if you know the car I would be interested hearing your opinion. Thanks everyone for your help. Tom.

Tom,

Was great talking with ya...try posting your request in the Southeast section, as not all owners read in the ZR-1 section.I'm on the south side of Atlanta 10 miles off exit 212 I75..

Steve

I Vote Go Cheapo

If it were me tom i would skip the dealer inspection and find a willing zr-1 owner to go for the test ride with you...Prob. some guys in the local area could meet up with u and do the test togather..with only 8k miles what could be wrong??? other than simple leaky seals from lots of sittin around too much i doubt ull find anything wrong that would be expensive to fix...having a zr-1 owner with u for the test would be most effective in that if there were any big problems the owner would know from exp. something was amiss!!! save the money fill the tank and go for a very long test ride that is what i would do!! there are a lot of Va. zr-1 guys in fact ron k comes to mind and if the drive were not too bad i bet ron would do it 4 u. ron lives by the DC area and is the vp on the zr-1 net/registry if u want his email i can get it 4 u...just pm me from this site ur request and ill get u in touch with ron k... he also kanow tons of zr-1 guys and prob. the VA owners as well ill bet if he cant do it he will hook u up..he has owns several zr-1's if fact i think he has one 4 sale but it is a lpe zr-1 and cost more than a reg. zr-1. just let me konw and ill hook u up with him!!!

HEY what's up. Thanks for the shout out W! I mis spoke about the miles, as of 3PM to day it had 9145. The dealers up in my neck o' the woods could take lessons from this dealer on customer service. These people were so helpful to me it was not funny. I have satisfied myself that mechanically the car checks out. No codes in memory and it had an air bag light, warr. repair, allthe options work properly and it don't leak oil anywhere and the ser. mgr. said "this gentlemen is very particular about this car, and it shows." SOOOO I guess when I speak with the owner later we will discuss transfering funds. Oh, I thought this was amusing, the ser. mgr. told me that the dealership sponsors a local vette club & " ya see we do a bit o business with vette owners so I understand where your heads are at with vetts & servicing them. Buy the car mister, you can't do much better than this one....at least for a car kept stock, that is."

Tom

Congrats Tom sounds like a nice ZR-1 :beer

Hi Steve, How are ya? Did it work out with the other buyer, hope so!

THANKS!!! I feel like :Twist I think...I don,t understand airlines, it's cheeper to fly round trip than one way!!!

Hi Rob, well I guess it's official as it gets with $ changing hands. I gotta call the owner in a while to do that stuff. But this afternoon I had his selling/servicing chevy dealer do a GM Cert Used Car inspect and all was in order so he & I talked & he asked and I said $24900 was the ad's price.. it still is valid & he said yes and he took his wife to dinner. I just gotta find air transport down to Roanoke. I got my loan in order... next day delivery.. NYS DMV tomorrow for papers..you need papers! Ins agent has had head's up & just needs VIN. Did I forget anything? Oh yea I'm a book o the month club member now, almost. Thanks for asking, I think I have the grin big enough to swallow my ears. I should calm down, but I think it helps my typing...NAH! Tom

What year is the ZR1 Tom? Color? :beer

tomtom72 said:
Hi Rob, well I guess it's official as it gets with $ changing hands. I gotta call the owner in a while to do that stuff. But this afternoon I had his selling/servicing chevy dealer do a GM Cert Used Car inspect and all was in order so he & I talked & he asked and I said $24900 was the ad's price.. it still is valid & he said yes and he took his wife to dinner. I just gotta find air transport down to Roanoke. I got my loan in order... next day delivery.. NYS DMV tomorrow for papers..you need papers! Ins agent has had head's up & just needs VIN. Did I forget anything? Oh yea I'm a book o the month club member now, almost. Thanks for asking, I think I have the grin big enough to swallow my ears. I should calm down, but I think it helps my typing...NAH! Tom
Awesome!!!!!!!! Congrats Tom! Definitely keep us posted. :)

Hi MoeJr, Thanks for asking. It's black with grey int., both roofs, orig owner, 1990. All the stickers and the owner's kit complete. :) Tom

:D Hi Guys & Gals, IT'S MINE!!! 1990 ZR-1, black over grey, both roofs, full original owner's kit, one owner, 9145 miles, all original documents, ser. records, bone stock, car's b-day 6/90....mine is in June. Clean, garage kept, no hits, no curb rash, a well maintained clean ZR-1. I am trying to go get it, it's in Troutville, VA. hopefully before the snow comes to the roads between there and NY. I better go check the weather channel for late next week. I will try to fly there & drive her back 12/15-16. Thanks for all the help & support, the members here are the best. Oh... I forgot, the owner and I shook hands over the phone just now @ 9:55 PM so when I answered MoeJr I felt it was mine but I had to make $ transfer plans with the owner, Now that those things are done it is officially a done deal on a verbal handshake. Tom

Way To Go Tom!!!

GUD LUCK!!! I hope to see u replace the no under my corvette with ZR-1 soon!!! congrats.... hey we gone why u sellin da Z gonna get another??? a lpe, rippie or a callie perhaps???

tomtom72 said:
:D Hi Guys & Gals, IT'S MINE!!! 1990 ZR-1, black over grey, both roofs, full original owner's kit, one owner, 9145 miles, all original documents, ser. records, bone stock, car's b-day 6/90....mine is in June. Clean, garage kept, no hits, no curb rash, a well maintained clean ZR-1. I am trying to go get it, it's in Troutville, VA. hopefully before the snow comes to the roads between there and NY. I better go check the weather channel for late next week. I will try to fly there & drive her back 12/15-16. Thanks for all the help & support, the members here are the best. Oh... I forgot, the owner and I shook hands over the phone just now @ 9:55 PM so when I answered MoeJr I felt it was mine but I had to make $ transfer plans with the owner, Now that those things are done it is officially a done deal on a verbal handshake. Tom
Congratulations Tom!!!!!!:upthumbs

Morning All, Thanks Bryan for the kudos! I got another question. What should I need to know about Bras for a C4? I figure that there are quality diffs...like outer material & liner material and some brands fit better than others?

:D Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom