Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Washer Pump

greydbj

Corvette
1981 Charcoal Grey; 2009 Black Coupe
Looking for some advice on changing/servicing the windshield washer pump. The pump is mounted on the bottom of the jar, accessible through the 'gill' opening.....I am hoping I don't have to take the bottle out, so the question is, Can the pump be removed from bottom of the bottle.....there is a rubber seal, and it appears as though it might twist out, half turn, like a light bulb.....it can't be this easy, but one can hope.....thanks....;worship

Mine is also leaking

I'd like to know if or how you fixed this.
Thanks

Have not fixed it yet, too many other things to do, both on the car and around the 'ranch'......mine is not leaking just will not pump.....I am trying to figure out if the motor unscrews from the bottom or just pops out through the gasket.....if I don't have to take out the plastic reservoir, so much the better, cuz it will be a pain.....some guys I have heard take it out from the top which means removing a lot of other things....and others have said that it will come out through the 'gill'....if I don't get at it soon, it will need to wati til spring as winter will be here in another month....regards......dbj:D

PS: yours is the only reply to my original message......not an interesting or important a problem I guess......dbj:eyerole

Thanks dbj
If I get time this weekend I'll look at mine and see what it will take to fix it. Maybe someone will kick in on this that has done this before and save us some time.
Later

The way to get the washer pump out is with a long extension and a deepwell socket(not sure of size). There is a plastic nut that you have to unscrew from inside the bottle it holds the pump and screen together, just take the nut off and the pump should pull out from the bottom.

I can email you pictures if you like, but it's fairly simple to do although getting it back together can sometimes be a pain.

You have GOT to be kidding.....I cannot imagine trying to get a wrench down from the top......oh well, the pleasures of having one of these toys.........by all means, would like to see some pics......and thanks........dbj:j

I did mine about 4 yrs ago and it had to be done the same way.... it is a little tricky and will take a little time.... but it can be done... good luck

Oh come on now, you own a C3, you should be used to performing miracles by now :D Actually it's not that hard, use a deep well socket, long extension and maybe a universal joint thing, you can have it out in less than 5 minutes. At most you'll have to undo the bottle from the fenderwell and slide it over a bit....of course remove the filler neck :D

Taking the whole bottle out is what I would complain about, you can yank it out by forcing it but getting it back in requires removal of the brake booster...now that's fun....NOT!

greydbj said:
You have GOT to be kidding.....I cannot imagine trying to get a wrench down from the top......oh well, the pleasures of having one of these toys.........by all means, would like to see some pics......and thanks........dbj:j

you don't need to take the bottle out to change the washer pump, at least i didn't

Well I just took off the grill on the side and put some RTV around the bottom of the pump....it worked.
If it leaks again I'll replace the pump.

Thanks all

As Scott 81 said, "a long extension and a deep well socket" will do the trick. Did mine this way about 3 years ago. You might want to wrap some duct tape around the joint were the socket and extension go together to prevent the socket from coming off and getting lost/trapped in the bottom of the bottle. Just a thought!! ZAL81

Thanks for all your help gang, some tips I can use for sure.....getting to cold to do it right now, but I have saved all the notes/comments.....never thought of the duct tape trick, good idea, cuz my luck would have all the needed parts sloshing around on the bottom of the jug!!......dbj:eek

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom