Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

washing

D

drazen

Can I wash the engine(C4-LT1) with water because there are a lot of electrical parts?

Yes of course, heres what I do

Spray on a cleaner of some type being cautious of what Im spraying (Not good for rubber etc..)

Then I use a low pressure water spray to rinse it off.

**NOW** On the LT1 you want to be careful not to hit the optispark (Your distributer) I guess this causes all types of problems. Just follow the spark plug wires to find it. Then simply stay away from it.

After Im done spraying (If bad enough) I turn it on high pressure to clean the under side of the hood and top end of the motor. (Do your suspension while your in there.)

Then I take clean shammy's/rag's and wipe down whatever I need to. Sometimes I use a Meguiars rubber finisher to bring back the rubber, black plastic's, and wires

You'll look like new after that (actually better than new)

Good Luck

I would NEVER advise that you take running water to your LT-1 motor...NEVER.

The Opti-Spark is highly sensitive to moisture and will cause significant problems for you if you take either a hose or pressure washer to the motor.

The risk of damaging the Opti is not worth the time saved by cleaning the motor in that manner.

I DID IT ONE TIME TO MY 94', IT BACKFIRED AND BARELY RAN FOR ABOUT 5 MILES. IT SCARED THE **** OUT OF ME. IF YOU STILL WANT TO WASH THE ENGINE WRAP THE OPTI SPARK IN A PLASTIC BAG AND PUT A RAG AROUND IT. BE VERY CAREFULL.

OMG! Are you guys telling me your Optisparks are THAT Sensitive?!?!?

What happens if you hydroplane the car?! Water is going to get in that engine bay..So if you do that your Optispark is totalled? Or is the Optispark high enough (? Even mositures going to get to it)

My Aunt has a 96 LT1 TA she has never had a problem and Ive even done it for her before..Strange.

ANOTHER GREAT ENGINEERING MARVEL. IT IS ALSO LOCATED UNDER THE WATER-PUMP. WHEN THE WATER-PUMP GOES IT CAN DRAINS ALL OVER THE OPTI-SPARK AND CAN CAUSE DAMIAGE TO THE OPTI-SPARK UNIT. I HEARD THEY IMPROVED IT ON THE 95/96 MODELS. I NOW HAVE A 95 AND LOVE IT.

Washing

I have 4 cars, two Vettes, a Windstar and a restored '55 Chevy with a 350 in it. (okay, restored "street"!)
I wash them all regularly at the car wash which has a high pressure hose, etc. I never use the high pressure but I do use their engine detergent and hot water.
I have never ever had a problem with any of them and I have been doing this for more years that I want to admit to. If a problem does occur then someting is not quite right.
I do stay away from the distributors (Or coil pack on the WS) and the carb on the '55 with the water stream. Actually I stuff a shop towel into the 4 barrel and wash the carb itself quite well.

Okay, I worry less about water problems (since I have never had one) then I do about a dirty engine. :)

My .02 worth.............

be sure to cover the air filter if its exposed, water getting sucked into the engine could also cause backfireing, i also would stay away from the opti and the computer

Im in agreement to the last 2 posts Ive owned 4 Computer driven vehicles and as long as you take care in what your doing and don't jump in there like an animal I think you'll be fine.

If your unsure as to whats what just stay away from anything with wire harnesses coming out of it that makes it easier.

And ya unless you dirt road/4x4 the thing you should always be able to get it nice and shiny with low pressure (Umm Presoak setting at the car wash is what I usually use)

Lol my reason is not to blow off the fresh paint I put on my FRYED valve covers LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom