Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Water in gas?

The73vetteman

Corvette
'73 L48 4spd
Well I've gone from intermittent stalling so frequent stalling to not starting at all, so I need some help!

Here's what I've done/checked:

Cranked the engine while holding #1 plug lead to ground and observed a spark.

Checked the static timing as best I can with a dwell meter - seems that the points open at about 12 deg Before. (Turning the engine over by hand also verified that I'm getting compression.)

Removed fuel bowl (Holley 4150 carb) and blew out jets and idle mixture passageways.

Checked all the vac hoses are in place, and cleaned out the PCV valve.

So as best I can tell, I'm getting fuel thru the carb, and a spark at the right time. All I'm left with now is bad gas OR water at the bottom of the tank. I've refueled twice since this problem first started to appear, so I'm left thinking maybe there's water in the gas.

Any suggestions or ideas?

John

Are you getting a squirt of gas down the carb when you pump it? Is your choke working? Have you tried dribbling some gas down the carb while a helper cranks the engine? Have you played with the ignition cables/moved them around?

Have you checked the pump? could it be bad and not be pumping enough fuel in?
It could be water and luckily a handheld pump siphon can be used to drain every bit of gas/water out of the tank ($10 at any autoparts store or walmart).
If your vette is being stored for a long time, get a fuel stabilizer and use it with a full tank of gas to lessen room for condensation to build which is the leading way of getting water in the tank.
Good luck and hope it's an easy fix!

Yes the squirters in the carb are working.

No, I haven't moved any of the ignition wires.

I always use a gas stablilzer over the winter.

All great ideas, keep 'em coming please!

I haven't specifically checked the fuel pump. It was new about 1,000 miles ago. Also, when I check the fuel level in the float bowl it's always at the correct level, so I think the pump is OK.

Next suggestion please!

I have a clear replaceable in line filter near my carb which lets you see if fuel is being pumped thru its a good safe gaurd and is easily replaced when needed , as for the water in your tank , i was told once by an ex vietnam guy that a cup of metholated spirit will fix the problem ?? havent tried it but worth a try i guess i cant see what harm it could do . chris

Could well be water in the fuel. Run a couple of cans of fuel drier through her (HEET or something similar).

Change the location where you buy gas.

:)

Well a quick update on this: I decided to change the coil and condenser, and that did the trick. It started up first turn.

I once saw a quote from Lars G of tuning fame to the effect that "90% of carb problems are timing problems," and I think I'd have to agree. So if you get a stalling problem that becomes more frequent, consider the coil as a possible cul;prit.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas.

J

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom