Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Water Pump Pulley Problem

i had the same problem with my 68 tripower, ended up having to replace the water pump again, returned the one from autozone and bought one from paragon. Fit fine after that. The autozone pump was close but had the exact problem your having.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

The GM pump and pulley has a thin spacer between the pump shaft and pulley. I`m not sure if or what years they are factory on, But the engines are the same for all years until the 80`s Vettes. You would have to use the AIM`s books to see if im correct or if applicable to all years.

Jeff, while I don't have an answer for you, the guys at Summit should've been able to tell you that you'd have this problem...(I would think)...

Does the pulley line up with the rest of the pulleys? Meaning is it the pulley itself or the water pump that's not correct? Obviously this isn't a question if you are using all the OEM pulleys.

Well, after comparing the two pumps, it appears as though both pumps are the same. The new water pump's disk that holds the fan clutch studs is sitting further back on the spindle then the original hence the pulley rubbing up against the body of the water pump. The pulley is the same. There was no spacer at all for the water pump. Can anyone suggest an aluminum water pump that will fit?

I did find shims from Summit that may work. Has anyone used these?
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+-153045&D=-153045

I called Stewart and they are aware of this problem. It was recommended by a knowledgeable technician to grind down the ridges on the pump that the pulley is touching. It will not hurt the pump or void the warranty. As long as the pulley's line up is the most important thing.

Although grinding the pump will fix the rubbing, if the disk if futher back than the original, will the pulley line up?. Seems like a spacer made of thin metal sheeting between the disk and the pulley is a more viaible answer.

Moroso has water pump pulley shim kits to space the pulley out from the flange - Summit and Jeg's will have them. :)

The pulley's line up just right so I used a dremel tool and grinded down one small part of the pump where the water pump pulley was rubbing. It spins freely now without any issues. I suppose we will see during breakin how well they line up. If they don't then shims are the next best thing.

Jeff,

Also make sure that there was ample material removed from the pump. As the pump and pulley heat up, they will expand (and at different rates because of the aluminum pump and the steel pulley). There needs to be ample room to freely spin as that stuff heats up.

t

Yep, I thought about this as well and took off just a little bit more to be safe. We will see if it was enough...:eek:hnoes

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom