Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Weatherstrip on a 1981--Problem

A

asby69

Hi all. I just completed painting my 81 and along with that I installed a new weatherstrip kit. I have run into a "snag". After installing the new w/s, the windows will not roll up correctly (will not seal in the pillars or t-top w/s). I have adjusted the windows every which way known to man but with no luck. Has any one got any suggestions or tips.

Thanks.

asby69

The 1981 GM shop manual has detailed instructions on window adjustments.

Dave

Weatherstrip

Hi,

I have an 81 as well and changed the weatherstipping prior to having the car painted. I had the shop replace the windows in both doors. I didn't think to tell the body shop about my replacing the weatherstripping, so when they were putting the car back together they could get the windows to close properly when the doors were closed......So when I called to see why the car wasn't ready, they told me they could get the windows to close correctly, I then told them they didn't close correctly when I dropped the car off... It took a little while to get broken in but they close fine now. Maybe the glass doesn't like the new rubber or the window motor has to ajust to the new strain? :s

Re: Weatherstrip

Silver/Char81 said:
Hi,

I have an 81 as well and changed the weatherstipping prior to having the car painted. I had the shop replace the windows in both doors. I didn't think to tell the body shop about my replacing the weatherstripping, so when they were putting the car back together they could get the windows to close properly when the doors were closed......So when I called to see why the car wasn't ready, they told me they could get the windows to close correctly, I then told them they didn't close correctly when I dropped the car off... It took a little while to get broken in but they close fine now. Maybe the glass doesn't like the new rubber or the window motor has to ajust to the new strain? :s

Thanks, I hope that you are right?!?!?! I did have some luck today adjusting the windows. They close almost as good as they did before I replaced the w/s.:upthumbs

w/s $ windows

If you're experiencing problems with the window 'dragging' on the w/s, apply dielectric gel (yeah, like for the sparkplugs) to the w/s. Its good for the w/s and helps the windows slide along the w/s better.
Sil

Sil is correct. I installed new w/s and the windows would just get stuck.The new w/s is too stiff and needs to wear in. :)

Scott :w

Thanks Sil & Stryker:

I will definately give it a try!!!

;worship

I changed mine out also. I have the same problem. I adjusted them just like the manual. No luck. I just gave up.

jbonifas said:
I changed mine out also. I have the same problem. I adjusted them just like the manual. No luck. I just gave up.

Don't give up!! I finally have gotten mine to seat in the w/s 99.9% correctly. The way I did it was: (it helps to have a friend to help from the outside, to be a spotter) I was inside the car with the door panel removed, I rolled the window up as far as it would go, I then loosend all track bolts, felt adjusters, and all track adjustment bolts --- everything. I then was able to get the window to seat in the w/s by prying up on the track with a long screwdriver (while my buddy looked on from outside telling me to go more up in front or back etc). Once I got it to seat, I tightened all bolts/screws back up. I let the door stay shut for one day, then I did the other side the same way. I still have a little trouble with them rolling up all the way with the door closed (does great with the door open, I can shut the door with the window up and it seats in the w/s great), but I am going to apply the dielectric gel, as stated by Sil and Stryker above, and after a few ups and downs, they should work OK. I hope this helps!!!!

:D

Going to change my weather stripping soon

Where is the best buy for 1981 Corvette weather stripping?

Mine leaks right at the door/window (rear). The rubber is very dry and broken up. It doesn't leak anywhere else, but I want to do a complete refurbishment. What kind of kit should I get? I have looked around and the prices vary, so do the actual kit contents.

What peices do I need to do a full refurbishment, and where is the best prices? Mid-America is expensive!

1981 ~ Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community & The L81VetteRegistry ~

Here is a good place to start looking for all new weather stripping ;)

Corvette-Rubber

Re: Going to change my weather stripping soon

1981 said:
Where is the best buy for 1981 Corvette weather stripping?

Mine leaks right at the door/window (rear). The rubber is very dry and broken up. It doesn't leak anywhere else, but I want to do a complete refurbishment. What kind of kit should I get? I have looked around and the prices vary, so do the actual kit contents.

What peices do I need to do a full refurbishment, and where is the best prices? Mid-America is expensive!

Hi 1981,

I purchased a 9 piece kit from The Last Detail, http://www.tld-corvette.com/catalog.htm . It costs $ 210.00. I have ordered from TLD several times in the past with excellent results. The kit fit great, but I did have some trouble with the windows rolling up correctly (see posts above), but now I don't have any problems!! The dielectric gel that Sil suggested worked great. Anyways, I hope this helps.

asby69 :w

Thanks for the link, I will be checking it out tonight! Can't wait to be able to park my car without fear of rain.

Just ordered a weatherstripping kit from tld.

--> Any advise on what type of removing compound should be used to remove the old weatherstripping?

--> What bonding agent should be used, if any, to attach the new weatherstripping?

---> Any other hardware besides the "dielectric gel" will be needed to complete the project?

Thanks for the help,

1981 said:
Just ordered a weatherstripping kit from tld.

--> Any advise on what type of removing compound should be used to remove the old weatherstripping?

--> What bonding agent should be used, if any, to attach the new weatherstripping?

---> Any other hardware besides the "dielectric gel" will be needed to complete the project?

Thanks for the help,

1981:

Don't know if this will work for you, but I was repainting my vette and it didn't matter to my application.

1. I used laquer thinner, it removed all of the "glue" from the old w/s.

2. I used the black 3M w/s adhesive.

3. You will need masking tape (to hold some of the w/s in place while the adhesive "sets". Also, don't know if yours is this way but for the piece of w/s that goes on the rear of the door windows you will need replacement rivets. Those two pieces are riveted in place and will need to be removed and re-riveted.

4. "Be careful with your T-Tops" while removing and replacing the w/s If you're not careful, you could scratch off some of the "mirror" while removing the old. (If your tops are mirrrored).

That's about all I can think of for now, If I think of anything else, I'll put another post on here.

Good Luck.

asby69:_rock

Thanks for the heads up. So how do you suggest I remove the old rivets? I do not have a rivet gun. Maybe these can be rented from hardware stores? Any ideas? How did you manage to remove and install yours?

1981 said:
Thanks for the heads up. So how do you suggest I remove the old rivets? I do not have a rivet gun. Maybe these can be rented from hardware stores? Any ideas? How did you manage to remove and install yours?

1981:

You will have to remove the inner trim pieces, that cover up the upper shoulder restraint (seat belt), to access the rivets.
All you have to do is drill the old one out (through the center of the rivet). The rest of the rivet will come out with ease after that. You should be able to pick up a cheap rivet gun from your local Wal Mart for approx $10.00. Go to your local auto parts store to get the correct size rivets, can't remember what size they were?!?!?! Brain fart?!?!? I don't have my manual handy, sorry. I installed in the reverse order, In addition to the new rivets, I also used the 3M w/s adhesive on them. Maybe someone can jump in here with the correct rivet size before I make it back. I hope this helps you.

Good Luck:

asby69:cool

Thats great, my assembly manual and shop manual should be here today or tomorrow, and the weatherstripping shipped today. Can't wait to get a leak free ride! The rivets sound pretty easy so far, if anyone knows the correct size, let me know.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom